News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Images of Pacific Dunes
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
Kyle,

You're having quite the 2008.  Now that you've played both, how do you feel about Pac Dunes vs. Ballyneal?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:52:40 PM by Jim Colton »

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
Confirms what I've thought since the first time I walked it, it's my favorite place on earth.

Thanks for the images.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
Kyle,

You're having quite the 2008.  Now that you've played both, how do you about Pac Dunes vs. Ballyneal?

I have had a VERY good year. I've been introduced to most of my favorite courses, and golf-induced bankruptcy, in the last 10 months.

It's hard to pick favorites at this level. In terms of overall experience, I can't really say which is better. The ocean setting does play a factor. If the Ballyneal property was placed on top of the Sheep Ranch, it would definitely get the nod.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
You're a fine politician, Kyle.

;D

Did you play the 10 holes at OM?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
You're a fine politician, Kyle.

;D

Did you play the 10 holes at OM?

No. I hurried over after my round at BD to join Jim urbina and Pete Pittock's gang for a stroll down 6,7,8,9, a look from 10th tee, approach on 4 (past hog back) and 5, in that order.

The greens are massive and compelling. I can't wait to try them.  :o ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Excellent.  Seeing is likely good enough at this point.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »
Excellent.  Seeing is likely good enough at this point.

For sure. The grass still has a long way to go. I'll wait until I can taste all 18 with F&F turf.

GCA gathering in 2010, anyone? :D

Jeff Tang

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Kyle, great pics!  I've looked at a TON of pictures of Pac Dunes and haven't seen some of the angles that you posted on this thread.  I can't believe how good the course looks.
So bad it's good!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
Kyle,

Thanks for the detailed response. I wonder if DMK will get back to BD if he has some down time next year to make some improvements.

Can't wait to get there - thanks again for the pics - I snagged one of them for my wallpaper.

Ash Towe

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
Kyle,
Thanks for sharing the photos.  The colours are just magnificent.

Looking forward to my first and likely only visit there next year.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »
The course logo features seals circling one another – a better metaphor for my local muni than anything near Bandon.

Please explain

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 01:37:20 AM »
The course logo features seals circling one another – a better metaphor for my local muni than anything near Bandon.

Please explain

Mean joke. I should be ashamed.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »
Kyle, great pics!  I've looked at a TON of pictures of Pac Dunes and haven't seen some of the angles that you posted on this thread.  I can't believe how good the course looks.

Thanks, Jeff. The supers did most of the work. ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »
Kyle,

Your pictures capture the essence of golf at PD on a site that represents a wonderful meeting of land and sea.

Each time I see pictures such as yours it reminds me that almost anything is possible in golf course architecture when you combine a visionary like Mike Keiser with a talented architect like Tom Doak.

There is something unique about Bandon, something rather simple, yet rather elegant in its presentation and challenge to the golfer.

There seems to be an intimate connection between golf in the UK and golf on the bluffs in Oregon.  Despite their geographic and geological differences they appear to be kindred souls.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
Will you people please stop posting pictures like this? I am trying to save virginal trip to Bandon until after Old Mac opens...and these pictures make it so hard to hold out...

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »
Kyle,

Your pictures capture the essence of golf at PD on a site that represents a wonderful meeting of land and sea.

Each time I see pictures such as yours it reminds me that almost anything is possible in golf course architecture when you combine a visionary like Mike Keiser with a talented architect like Tom Doak.

There is something unique about Bandon, something rather simple, yet rather elegant in its presentation and challenge to the golfer.

There seems to be an intimate connection between golf in the UK and golf on the bluffs in Oregon.  Despite their geographic and geological differences they appear to be kindred souls.

Very eloquently put, Mr. Mucci.

Although I think you went a bit overboard, thank you for the overly generous compliment. ;D

I actually thought I lost all of my pictures at one point. Fortunately, my memory card had just worked itself loose and was not completely erased.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »
I've posted a similar thread for Bandon Trials.

Follow the link.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37741.msg777989.html#msg777989

Carl Nichols

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

Please explain

Were you referring to men or women? 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

Please explain

Were you referring to men or women? 

Mostly dudes in search of their banana-sliced Pro V1's.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:30:21 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
Kyle:
You've also done very well explaining the "finish work" comment that others have made about BD before you.  I just never really knew what they meant.  I get it as you explain it.

TH

Huck,

The grassy areas around the 10th tee in the upper photo (seen below), left of the 7th fairway (second photo), and left of the 9th fairway (bottom photo) are indicative of the overly manicured look I was griping about. If those areas were more sandy with a bit of beach grass here and there, I think it would look much better than the present fescue lawns. Small patchs of intermittent, isolated gorse would also help aesthetically, though I understand why they're trying to totally eradicate that stuff. The same problem exists around other holes (namely 3). The 4th photo shows how a spinkling of beach grass makes a big difference, at least IMHO.

Incidently, on the Old Mac site I noticed a very random sprinkling of beach grass around the course. Reponding to my inquiry, Jim Urbina told me that he instructed the crew to leave the grasses as they removed the gorse growing over and round them. I think it will really help to integrate the playing surfaces with the surrounds. Instant maturity.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:15:17 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
Firstly, fabulous images, Kyle, as someone who's protographed BD Resort numerous times, you've managed to capture some cool new perspectives of all three courses.

As far as your last post goes, however, I have to disagree. 

Beginners and "lesser" players usually fare best at Bandon Dunes for the exact reasons you mention.  It's wider, and more forgiving, and more manicured and has less "gunk" lurking about.  The greens are still plenty challenging, but the really wayward shot has a chance of being found and played on holes like #7, #8 and #9 to name a few. 

I think this makes for a better overall experience.  Lord knows golfers will find all they can handle at Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails, thus I like that Bandon Dunes is a little more "user friendly."  Speaking personally, after climbing all the hills at Bandon Trails, and climbing in and out of all the bunkers at Pacific Dunes, I welcome a trek around old Bandon Dunes.  My rickshaw is never in jeopardy of tipping over, there are only a couple hill climbs, I find my poorly hit drives, granted they are a million miles from the fairway, but I find 'em! 

And besides, by and large it is more labor intensive to "manage" the native as opposed to just driving a mower over said areas.  I think Bandon Dunes is greatly underappreciated.  I look forward to playing it every bit as much as Pac and Trails.

It's just different from the other two, but still fabulous..... 
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:30 PM »
Firstly, fabulous images, Kyle, as someone who's protographed BD Resort numerous times, you've managed to capture some cool new perspectives of all three courses.

As far as your last post goes, however, I have to disagree. 

Beginners and "lesser" players usually fare best at Bandon Dunes for the exact reasons you mention.  It's wider, and more forgiving, and more manicured and has less "gunk" lurking about.  The greens are still plenty challenging, but the really wayward shot has a chance of being found and played on holes like #7, #8 and #9 to name a few. 

I think this makes for a better overall experience.  Lord knows golfers will find all they can handle at Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails, thus I like that Bandon Dunes is a little more "user friendly."  Speaking personally, after climbing all the hills at Bandon Trails, and climbing in and out of all the bunkers at Pacific Dunes, I welcome a trek around old Bandon Dunes.  My rickshaw is never in jeopardy of tipping over, there are only a couple hill climbs, I find my poorly hit drives, granted they are a million miles from the fairway, but I find 'em! 

And besides, by and large it is more labor intensive to "manage" the native as opposed to just driving a mower over said areas.  I think Bandon Dunes is greatly underappreciated.  I look forward to playing it every bit as much as Pac and Trails.

It's just different from the other two, but still fabulous..... 

I see your point. However, I'm pretty sure you cold find your ball in the "native" area I gave as an eaxample in that 4th picture. The beach grasses would just add a bit of unpredictability to the recovery shot, whihc seems fair given the extremely wide fairways found on nearly every hole at Bandon Dunes. I'm only advocating a different aesthetic. By all means, keep they should keep the course playable.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »
Kyle:  excellent work once again re the "finish work."  I most definitely get it.

Thanks!

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back