GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Should Mounds be Added

(1/7) > >>

Patrick_Mucci:
I've noticed the absence of an architectural feature in recent times.

The mound or knob just short of the green or just into the green.

This can create havoc for front pin positions, and place interesting demands on the golfer, especially with different wind conditions.

Do you favor more of these obstacles on a golf course ?

Don_Mahaffey:
Patrick,
Todd E. added a very cool little mound in front of the reachable par 5 17th at Barona. If I remember, shivas wasn't a big fan of the mound, but I thought it was well placed to disrupt a running second shot that wasn't placed perfectly. It would have little or no effect on an aerial third, thus I thought it was a good strategic addition to the hole.

Dave_Miller:
Patrick:  
Are you talking about the type of mounds Donald Ross might have around certain greens or just a mound or nob in front to give everyone something to think about?
Best
Dave

TEPaul:
Pat:

Excellent point!

We had a great mound apparently right in the front of the approach of one of our medium length par 4s! It must have been sizable because I can see it on an aerial!!

But the membership didn't like it back then and had it removed. I don't remember whether Gil Hanse recommended restoring it or not but if he had it probably would have been voted down.

It's too bad, I think they can be very interesting!

Patrick_Mucci:
Dave Miller,

It's more of a knob, about 2-3 feet high.
It's usually right in front of a green, sometimes slightly off center, and sometimes partially or fully into the green.

I think the 18th at Turnberry has one.

It is a wonderful little feature, inexpensive to construct, that creates "mental turbulence" when playing a hole with a forward pin position, and if the course is windswept it seems to take on more strategic importance.

TEPaul,

Why would the membership vote on a component piece of a restoration, or were you just relaying your feel for the membership's acceptability of such a feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version