GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

A silly question about Course conditioning?

(1/5) > >>

Lance:
I'm sitting here in my home, 2 miles from the Black Course as a second weather front with rain pelts down on this US Open venue on the eve of our American Championship,and this thought came to me>>>> If they can cover the infield at yankee Stadium to keep it playable when heavy rain appears, then why can't the USGA purchase 18 infield tarps to cover the US Open greens when thunderstorms roll in the night before a championship is about to begin???? I understand that you may end up with fairways and greens of different firmness, but isn't that better than having a turkey shoot & having the players aim at every pin????????????? For gosh sakes, why prepare a course to play a particular way for years to watch it get washed away in a few hours? Lance

Oscar Brown:
The game is played outdoors. It is subject to weather.

A_Clay_Man:
Well Lance I can only relate to you the story of my first open. It was Medinah in '90 and I was driving to the course thur. morn and it was still raining having not let let up all night long. I chuckled to myself "what was I doing". But I went thru the motions and sure enough the rain stopped and play was delayed a whole 18 mins.

I don't see tarps as being viable cause that water has to go somewhere and under ground is the best palce for it. Also, having been fortunate to see Bruceski's pictorial aren't most if not all those greens elevated? This will ensure decent drainage if who ever constructed them did so using sound drainage drainage drainage principles.

Bruceski:
Lance,

Interesting thought. But should they install huge fans next to the 7th at Pebble in case the wind isn't blowing?

PGertner:
The true beauty of golf is that golfers need to adjust their game according to the conditions present.  This holds true for players in the US Open, or golfers playing on the ANY golf course.  As we know, conditions can be wet, dry, windy, calm, and on and on.  

To me, (especially as a Superintendent) the best golf quote is "Play the golf course as you find it."  

I do not irrigate turf for my member's perception of how a ball should react when hitting a green or fairway.  I irrigate ONLY when the turfgrass needs water to survive.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version