News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Chamberlain

Re: The Great Match between W Park & T Morris of 1870 for £200
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:54 AM »
Hi Melvyn

I would love a copy.

Cheers

richard@rosswatson.com.au

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 07:23:16 AM »

Tony

I have read a few reports on what was meant to have happened, eg Old Tom keeping the information back from his son while the game was still in progress – this is to totally misunderstand the Man and his love for his family.

The match at North Berwick on the 4th Sept 1875 started at 11AM, the full report of the match is being sent to all those that previously requested the reports on the Great Match of 1870.

As for the information regards the death of Young Tommy’s wife in childbirth with the baby being stillborn, this news as per my family records are concerned was never passed on to Young Tom.

A telegram arrived at the close of play, stating that Margaret Morris was in serious difficulty with the birth of the child and suggested that the Morris’s return as soon as possible. The game had been completed. Victory had been awarded before this news arrived. This is the only message that both Old & Young Tom received.

A Mr J Lewis of Edinburgh upon hearing the need to get the Morris’s back to St Andrews put at their disposal his Schooner which conveyed them to St Andrews Harbour. Whilst the schooner was clearing the pier (at North Berwick) another telegram arrived advising both had died. Friends ran down to the pier to shout the new at the departing boat when it was suggested that nothing could be gained by informing the Morris’s of the news, so Young Tommy only found out that his wife and child were dead when he arrived at St Andrews Harbour. There are some reports that George Morris (Old Tom’s elder brother) was at the harbour but my family have no record of this. On Christmas Day Young Tommy was also to be found dead at 6 Pilmour Links St Andrews by Old Tom.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

Melvyn,

It appears that these matches were for large sums of money. How much in todays currency would these golfers have made a year?

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:08 AM »

Anthony

Very difficult to say.
Some players were on a set fee, some may have been on a percentage if they won, on the betting side. As for Salary then if you consider that £50 a years was a good salary and that some received as little as £4-12 a year, it start to show just how much money was being offered up per game.  As for Old Tom he was on £50 a year from the R&A plus his £1 per day fees for design (makes you wonder if modern designers are overpaid and could be the reason for the enormous expenditure required for a modern course – no only joking). Then Old Tom had his Shop, all ads up to a good yearly income. There was of course in Old Tom’s case attendance fees for opening or attending a Match or course.

I have not looked at other Pros of the day but I expect that was why these Matches or challenges were made to spread ones fame and generate an interest for the big money – not much seems to have changed, except the golfer today gets a much bigger share of the money available.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
Melvyn, I would also like to receive the articles.  Thanks.

And Merry Christmas to the Morrow family from your American friends!  ;D

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
Rich G.-

I do not wish to hijack this thread but I am compelled to point out that there is no USGA ban on betting, in any amount, provided that the bet is between the players and all money is provided by the players. There is only a prohibition against one who plays for prize money calling himself an amateur. The term "prize money" refers to purses generated by entry fees or sponsorships in organized golf events open for public entry.

Under today's rules a match like the one discussed in this thread, while perhaps not prize money per say, might cause an inquirey because of the involvement of outside money and the public nature of the event. Of course, in this case the question in moot since the participants were professionals.

Calcuttas, pari-mutuals, and other prize pools are a special circumstance and are treated differently.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back