News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

little pond hole
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »
There was a photo in an issue of Links (I think) back several years ago of a little par 3 over a pond in a serene garden setting, backing up to the clubhouse, I’m pretty sure it was an English club - an older one.  I tore out the page and filed it, rather poorly obviously as I cannot locate it now and it bums me out because it is a really neat looking hole with a lot of character to it.

The cool thing about this hole was that it was only 100 yards or so in length.  Maybe it was 125, I can’t remember.  Some notes I made in reference to the design of the hole specify 100 -125. This is a hole I’d not only like to play, but a hole concept I’d like the architect to try to fit into the design of a course of my own some day.

Any examples of a cool 100-125 yard par 3 over a pond that come to mind?  And if you can identify my mystery hole, I’d like to buy you a beer next time I see you.

Also, what are some ways to create strategy within this type hole, where the player is simply swinging a wedge, maybe 9 at most across a small pond from 100 - 125 yards?

Thanks,

Eric

Tom_Doak

Re: little pond hole
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »
That was Tillinghast's original fourth hole at Baltusrol (Lower), before Trent Jones came in and stretched the tee back 70 yards away from the pond.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
Tom,
The one in the magazine?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
That was Tillinghast's original fourth hole at Baltusrol (Lower), before Trent Jones came in and stretched the tee back 70 yards away from the pond.

Silly man!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
Yes Mathew, that must have made it unplayable ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back