News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Raleigh Country Club
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
I got the chance to play Raleigh CC this past September.  It is the last course that Donald Ross designed and opened in 1948, I believe.  It fell on hard times and was close to closing until it was purchased by McConnell golf.  The course underwent extensive renovations.  The strength of the course is from 150 yards in.  It is not a very demanding course off the tee, but the shots into and around the greens require precise shot making.  I wish I had posted this earlier because I cannot quite remember the course as well as I would have liked.
The first hole is a nice par five.  The tee shot is downhill to a small pond.  The second shot is uphill to a very receptive green. The hole is about 500 yards long and is reachable for most players.

Hole #2   Par 4
Gold: 411   Blue: 354   White: 308   Red: 271
The tee shot here is pretty important.  The second shot is uphill on this dogleg right.  There is a pond on the inside of the dogleg so a shot to the left center is desirable.

Hole #3   Par 3
Gold: 195   Blue: 177   White: 141   Red: 134

The third hole is with bunkers protecting the green on the right and front left.  The green has a pretty severe slope from back to front.  Anything above the hole makes for a tough two putt.

I love how the bunkers fit into the land and green site.  Bunker shots require some imagination because of the slope and undulations of the greens.

Many of the bunkers are quite deep.

As you can see from this next photos, it is possible to run up a shot onto the green.  But you have to read the slope correctly.

The course ends with a brute of a par four.  You need a good tee shot to get to the green that is uphill.  The second shot however, is off a slightly downhill lie. There are two fairway bunkers that can catch a tee shot and two deep bunkers green side.  Again keep the ball below the hole.

Gold: 445   Blue: 427   White: 403   Red: 352

I played the course twice on one day.  The second time around it was easier to know where not to hit the ball.  I think it is one of the better second shot courses in the area and worth a visit if you can arrange to play it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sam Maryland

Re: Raleigh Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:48 AM »
great track, I've played it.  I wonder how their "packaged" membership is working out in the rough economic environment?

SM

ChipRoyce

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
Don't have specifics, but word around town is that RCC is doing just fine.

I really like the look of the course - surprising that the greens are quite low to their surrounds. Being used to Ross courses around Massachusetts, used to seeing more push up greens / green sites at tops of hills.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »
Here's my photo thread of Raleigh CC from a few years ago, taken during the Mandell reno-redo:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,19290.0.html

John Handley

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  I played there about 20 years ago and honestly don't remember anything about the course. 
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Andy Hughes

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »
What ever happened to Brian Gracely?  ???
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
great track, I've played it.  I wonder how their "packaged" membership is working out in the rough economic environment?

SM

Sam, I belong to Musgrove Mill which is also owned by McConnell golf.  If you belong to one club you get 10 days priveleges at other McConnell courses (Treyburn and Cardinal).  From what I have heard, Raleigh is in the black for the first time.  McConnell does first rate work.  I didn't see Raleigh before Rich Mandel did his work but from what I know he did great work and McConnell gave him what he needed, in terms of cash.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sam Maryland

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 09:08:32 AM »

SM

Sam, I belong to Musgrove Mill which is also owned by McConnell golf.  If you belong to one club you get 10 days priveleges at other McConnell courses (Treyburn and Cardinal).  From what I have heard, Raleigh is in the black for the first time.  McConnell does first rate work.  I didn't see Raleigh before Rich Mandel did his work but from what I know he did great work and McConnell gave him what he needed, in terms of cash.

good to hear.  RCC is a success story and good for the city of Raleigh.

SM

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »
i think its the best course in the triangle by a decent sized margin...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back