News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Engh to design course in Nebraska
« on: November 25, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Don't get too excited just yet.

It is just a nine hole addition to a course in Kearney, NB. It might be worth playing on your way to better known courses. It is close to Wild Horse GC.  It may be in the sand hills of Nebraska.

http://www.theindependent.com/sports/x596316056/Mark-Calcavecchia-out-Jim-Engh-in-on-Kearney-golf-course-design

"Engh will design the course's back nine on 150 acres northwest of the existing nine holes. The new nine will be a continuation of the existing prairie links design that highlights the natural terrain.

``The land we are working with just makes you go, 'Wow!' We have to step back and just let the land be what it is, because it is so good,`` Engh said. ``The sandy soils are unbelievable and so easy to work with. Our goal is to absorb everything and visualize the entire aesthetic picture that exists. "

tlavin

Re: Engh to design course in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »
This will create a reason to go to Kearney, Nebraska, which is really saying something.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »
I'll give Jim one. As far as I know he did stop in and played Wild Horse.

As much as Nebraskans like Mark Calc., Jim's hiring should give the project much more instant notoriety. 

Let's all keep out fingers crossed and wish Jim the best of luck.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Greg Chambers

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:20:17 PM »
I still ain't stopping in Kearney.  Gothenburg, yes, Kearney, no.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:38 PM »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
Wish we could get Jim to post a bit more.  Would love to hear more of this thoughts. 

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »

I don't think the proposed name, Nebraska National Golf Links, would really work. I don't think they are trying for a national membership. And then they might be indentified with a bunch of new courses with National in their name.  For example, Liberty National, Angeles National, Williamsburg National, Maryland National GC, Trump National GC, Washington National, Long Island National, etc.

I guess they are trying to be like Augusta National and National Golf Links.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:05:01 AM »
Certainly the style of course won't be like any of those "national" courses.

I like this quote:

``We are building some totally new golf holes on the front nine, mixing up the layout and completely changing all of the greens,`` said Engh, who spent a few days in Kearney this week studying the course. ``We are going to eliminate the long walks from the greens to the tees. Our goal is to fix some things and add some variety and sex appeal to what was already built.``

One noticeable change, Engh said, will be the expansion of the fairways to include larger landing areas.

``The joy of links golf is having a big, broad spectrum to hit to and letting the ball bounce and roll all over,`` he said. ``We're going to widen those fairways by 20 yards or more so golfers can experience that more often.``

Sounds pretty interesting. Who ends up playing the course is another question entirely.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
I read this , this morning titled

""Mark Calcavecchia out, Jim Engh in on Kearney golf course design""

Geez , what did the Champion golfer of 1989 do so wrong ?

Jason Hines

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
Forgive me if I have repeated these comments.  I have played the original 9 and Jim’s comments are right on. The property reminds me of the perfect high end blank canvas for an artist with rolling hills, dunes and plenty of water for irrigation.   

Having grown up in Kearney with family still there, I don’t get their National Plan and price points especially when WH is $500 per annum.  However, WH does not have a wine or cigar bar.  To some, Kearney, Mullen and Holyoke are the same city, but Kearney has a commercial airport, Starbucks, Old Navy, Red Lobster etc.  Does that give you the big remoteness marketing fuzzy that other places have?  What Kearney does not have is a solid course for a private member club.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »
I think maybe this was what Jones meant in his interview when a great architect knows when to redesign over the original canvas.  MPCC Shore is another example.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »
Jay:

Isn't it pretty obvious when a boring nine-hole course ought to be redesigned?

Furthermore, it's hard to imagine Jim Engh trying to build a new nine holes that blended well with the original work.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:48:33 PM »
Furthermore, it's hard to imagine Jim Engh trying to build a new nine holes that blended well with the original work.

That a point. I suppose that if there is a pre-existing nine of real quality, the owners might want to bring in someone who will build a new nine to reflect what they already have, to create a contiguous whole.

What ever came of the the new holes at Carne?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »
Jay:

Isn't it pretty obvious when a boring nine-hole course ought to be redesigned?

Well that's the whole point of what Jones was saying.  Some people criticized his comment, thinking he might go hog wild on a really good design which only needed a restoration.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »
To some, Kearney, Mullen and Holyoke are the same city, but Kearney has a commercial airport, Starbucks, Old Navy, Red Lobster etc.

Jason, don't forget they have a USHL hockey team too!  That makes the town practically down right livable, all year around!  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
How could I forget about the Tri City Storm?  Any arena that serves ice cream and Jack Daniels during a hockey game works for me. 

To a novice such as me, moving towards Jim Engh is a step in the right direction with respect to matching up what these unique pieces of land have to offer.  IE Rolling Dunes, challenging climate and eliminating any potential fountains on the new course.  I also see the original marketing strategy and press releases regarding signature holes, heated driving range bays etc as missing the mark of what Nebraska golf is about as well as attracting some of the 40k local residents within 20 miles.  Another difference between Mullen and Holyoke is the tens of thousands of vehicles passing by on I-80 everyday.   Don’t try to be “them” take advantage of what’s this particular area has to offer to differentiate yourself.  Just some thoughts.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »
Looks like I'll be on site next week and hopefully I'll have something to report.

I do know they have procured an additional irr system that will be more than adequate.

Jason, Heated bays seem like a good idea. I'm considering putting one in my quanset.  ;)

If anyone knows of any pre-owned simulators, Mr. Boss who owns the bowling alley, would consider a purchase. He originally had one in his business plan when he bought the business, but the bank couldn't justify the exorbitant expense. 45k

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

Re: Engh to design course in Nebraska New
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »
Adam,

Please confirm when you are in Kearney that the feed yard has closed on the east side of the highway.  I would be also interested to hear your impressions of the 150 acres northwest of the original 9 holes.  I of course was not looking that way when I was there a few years ago, cannot remember if the property was flatter or more rugged than the original 9.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Kearney,+NE&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.528905,92.8125&ie=UTF8&ll=40.598444,-99.092495&spn=0.009841,0.022659&t=h&z=16

Propane is coming down in price so the financials of your heated bay in the quanset should pencil out.

J.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:30:26 PM by Jason Hines »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back