News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: Post pics of your favorite par 3
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
Plainfield #11 - a short par 3 (some say a short par 5).

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
Just for you Kalen  :-*

This is one sweet par 3...

I thought we might NEVER see Kalen again once he headed down there to try and extricate his ball from certain peril.  It was a crappy way to finish a great match, and Kalen gave it a valiant effort to say the least!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
First attempt to post pictures!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
I thought this was the best par 3 at BT.
The green was amazing

Matt,

I also loved that hole...here is a closer-up view of the green itself:

Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
Here are a few others...

1st...Black Diamond GC in Millersburg, OH (11th hole)

2nd...Oak Quarry in Riverside, CA (14th hole)

3rd...Boulder Creek GC in Streetboro, OH (17th hole)

4th...Sheep Ranch near Bandon, OR
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:13:05 PM by Evan_Fleisher »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
The eye opener to me , on this thread , is all the love for Island greens  :(

Steve Lapper

« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2008, 08:18:15 PM »
Wish I had a picture of #9 at Myopia Hunt Club....quite possibly The best short 3 in America!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Andrew

« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
Brian,

I think it was Lloyd who said earlier that he was equally appalled and thrilled at some of the images.

There are a whole host of threes I will never build - and yet they are people's favorites.
Tommy Paul's Great Big World Theory is getting a lot of reinforcement in this thread.

I have "lifted" a few excellent pictures people have taken including yours of the 16th at Carnoustie.
Hope you don't mind - they are all for presentations or use on here to try and reinforce an idea.
You have proved me wrong - you can get a great photo of that course!

Regards,

Ian

Andy Troeger

« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2008, 08:41:53 PM »
Mark P.,
I recognize your second photo as being #13 at Wolf Run. What is the first one?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »
Wish I had a picture of #9 at Myopia Hunt Club....quite possibly The best short 3 in America!

What about the two from Ran's review:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »
Andy,

Sorry about not including the information.  I was so wrapped up in trying to post the pictures correctly that I left it out.  The
other is the 2nd hole at Sage Valley Golf Club in Graniteville, SC. 

Mark

Andy Troeger

« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Mark,
No worries, thanks for the information. Pretty hole. The one at Wolf Run is tough! One of the highlights of the round was getting up and down from the deep front-right bunker (closest to the green), to a front right pin.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2008, 09:53:26 PM »
I have "lifted" a few excellent pictures people have taken including yours of the 16th at Carnoustie.
Hope you don't mind - they are all for presentations or use on here to try and reinforce an idea.
You have proved me wrong - you can get a great photo of that course!

Ian , no problem .

Its funny but I have taken a few pics. of Carnousties 16th over the years , but to me , only that one worked .

And thats probably down to the Grandstands giving the hole a backdrop ?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:01 PM »
Brian,

I wondered if that was the reason too - I think your right.

Ian

AndrewB

« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
The shape and contours of this green are remarkable:
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Sean_A

« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2008, 03:22:31 AM »
Ian A & Brian

While I am not a huge fan of do or die shots, every course can benefit from one or two.  I prefer the more friendly do and don't die shot which allows for recovery, but not many pars will be yielded after missing the green on a par 3.  Since par 3s are a set piece if you like, do you think this is the time for the archie to present the do or die shot if he is going to at all?  I tend to give par 3s of ilk a bit of slack because of the set piece idea, but I am not sure this is a good reason.  I have a perfect example of what could be a very different looking hole if it were built today.  Merion's 3rd (what I would call a do or don't die hole) has virtually no apron.  If this were built today I would expect the archie (rightly or wrongly) to create an apron (in effect a bit of a safe zone for the timid) short and left where the bunker is.  What is interesting is the dichotomy of thought if there is the opportunity to build an island green.  I could be wrong, but I think many archies would go for the island green, yet not create a hole like Merion's 3rd without the safety apron.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2008, 04:13:09 AM »
Maybe its not everyones cup of tea , but I like something like this ?

A do or die shot , but loads of room to bail out if you so decide , with no easy shot from that bail out area .

I have never played this hole , only watched Pros. struggle with it .

Some of that was down to a breezy day , but it amazed me how some of these great players seemed to , at the last minute , bail out on the shot .

Yet I could imagine it caters for all levels of golfers also .

(Ryan , just to prove that I DO like some of the stuff Curley & Schmidt are doing  ;) )

Steve Lapper

« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2008, 06:28:11 AM »

What about the two from Ran's review:

Unfortunately, neither of those pix adequately conveys the beauty, genius,(and terror) of this hole! The tee sits approx 125 yds slightly beneath the hole, framed by a bucolic New England pond and a blind semi-horizon to this tiny "strip-shaped" green, totally flanked by pit bunkers and mounds. A horizontal error by anything more than a foot or more leaves you among these hazards with an awaiting bogey or worse. A "greenie" yields a very make-able birdie. It's sheer brillance!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Andy Hughes

« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2008, 10:47:46 AM »
Kyle's descriptions are accurate but the pictures do not do the holes justice.
Kyle also doesn't tell you that those are the two worst par threes on the course.
The other two are just too brutal to par, so are beyond the normal civilized discourse that takes place on this site.
Also, I should mention that I turned Kyle onto his first ever bowl of Pho Tai the other evening, so you can expect much strangeness from him during the next few days.
As we left the restaurant, he turned to me and said, "The tao that can be said is not the everlasting Tao.
If a name can be named, it is not the everlasting Name."
I responded something like..."yeah, nice round...you have a good week too."

Sensei Cirba, you mean even more strangeness than normal from Kyle? (PS did Kyle happen to mention how he blew me off for golf on one of my rare forays to PA?  ;)

Thanks for the info re Jeffersonville--the pictures clearly did not show the holes well.

PS Mike, no pics of the Airplane Hole at Glenbrook in your vast collection?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
Andy,

My understanding is that Kyle has since gone back at least once, and perhaps twice for more of the magical Pho Tai Elixir, so be prepared for anything from him in days ahead.    ;D

And alas, no, unfortunately I do not have a pic of the Airplane hole at Glenbrook, but just so you don't get homesick, I found one of the wild 120 yarder at Water Gap CC. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:08:52 AM by MikeCirba »

D_Malley

« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
#17 & #15 @ Paxon Hollow, the interesting thing is that both pictures were taken
from the exact same spot on their new shared tee built by Jim Wagner.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2008, 09:36:14 PM »
Banchorys lovely drop shot 3rd .

Kalen Braley

« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
Guys,

Just wanted to say this participation in this thread has been outstanding and many of these par 3s are something to behold.

Thanks,

Kyle Harris

« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »
D Malley,

Of course, your post reminds me of another favorite. The 8th at Paxon Hollow!

Andy,

Before you think I'm totally Bat. Shit. Crazy. please realize that the "Tao" quote was the fortune Mike received in his fortune cookie. I am thoroughly amazed that he was able to seamlessly work its wisdom into a somewhat germane post here.

We'll see how much this Pho works - I'm taking an actual girl on an actual date to a Vietnamese place tomorrow.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2008, 10:28:54 PM »
Andy,

Before you think I'm totally Bat. Shit. Crazy. please realize that the "Tao" quote was the fortune Mike received in his fortune cookie. I am thoroughly amazed that he was able to seamlessly work its wisdom into a somewhat germane post here.

We'll see how much this Pho works - I'm taking an actual girl on an actual date to a Vietnamese place tomorrow.

Andy,

Can you believe this story?   Who the hell ever heard of a fortune cookie spouting such nonzense anyway?!  ;)

Kyle,

You may give her the Pho if you dare, but whatever you do, DON'T let her order the Vietnamese coffee afterwards...neither hot NOR cold! 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back