News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: Post pics of your favorite par 3
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 06:26:18 AM »
Some of the ones that were easy to access.

#14 Nairn

#14 Sunningdale New

#4 Harlech

#16 New Zealand

#13 Ashburnham

#2 Strandhill

#17 Enniscrone

#11 Pennard

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 06:53:33 AM »
Maidstone #14

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:49:29 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
The 10th at Dornoch.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:43:13 AM by Rich Goodale »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 07:28:06 AM »
another angle

Philippe Binette

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
I noticed a trend here,

It seems like most favorite par 3 include a fairly severe frontal protection of the green...

So much for the ground game issue....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:50 AM »
Phillipe

One of the reasons I love #10 at Dornoch is the fact that you can (and when it is severely downwind and the turf is firm and fast, MUST) use the ground game, either by taking two clubs less and bouncing your pitch over the front bunkers, or rolling it through the slots right and left, or landing the balls with spin on the bank on the green separating the two tiers.  Now at least to me, that is strategy and that is FUN!

Rich

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »
Sean,

Neat photos of some relatively obscure par-3s.

New Zealand always gets me. I LOVE the look of that low-profile green at #16. Beautiful.

The par-3 you show at Strandhill... is that actually the angle of the tee shot?!
jeffmingay.com

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
Sean,

Neat photos of some relatively obscure par-3s.

New Zealand always gets me. I LOVE the look of that low-profile green at #16. Beautiful.

The par-3 you show at Strandhill... is that actually the angle of the tee shot?!

Jeff

Yes, thats the angle.  The 3rd tee (the steep bit of land feeding to the green) sort of gets in the way if you try to tee it up further left - especially considering the how the wind can blow.  We had time to hit many shots at this hole.  The weird thing is if you played way to the right the wind would blow the ball up the left bank and hangup - leaving a very nasty putt.  If you played to hit that bank the ball would roll down right near the hole.  In fact, one chap got a hole in one that way.  I think the bank for the 3rd tee really makes the hole as it allows the extreme front to be used in a strong wind.

Here is the 14th from Strandhill.  Another brutal hole when it plays downwind.  We didn't have much time to muck about here, but I suspect one has to kick the tee shot in off the right dunes in the conditions we played the hole.  Extreme precision golf!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Philippe Binette

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
About the 10th at dornoch... what is behind the green, I don't remember

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the photo of #14 at Strandhill, too. Those little dunesy bumps right of the green are cool looking.

How long is this hole?

It doesn't look very long, as per your photo... it also looks like a TINY green; and like there's very little margin for error!
jeffmingay.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2008, 08:54:15 AM »
About the 10th at dornoch... what is behind the green, I don't remember

A steep slope back down (~10 feet) to grade, with a cushion of medium rough 10-15 yards behind the green to stop an overclubbed ball from continuing on down the 11th fairway.......

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the photo of #14 at Strandhill, too. Those little dunesy bumps right of the green are cool looking.

How long is this hole?

It doesn't look very long, as per your photo... it also looks like a TINY green; and like there's very little margin for error!

Jeff

I think the 14th is ~170 yards.  The green is longer than it looks and the hole can just about be placed as far up as the bunker - its set maybe 6-7 yards off the front.  There are a lot of very cool holes at Strandhill - as many as you will find on most of the big gun Irish courses.  However, the course doesn't have the consistency of quality throughout, but at 40 Euro for a game its a cracking deal.   

Ciao

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »
These are similar but 5000 miles apart.

Joel, I recognized that picture the instant I saw it.  That photo of Cypress Point's 15th is one of my favorites that I've taken.  You must have downloaded it off of golfcoursepics.com.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »
Kalen, you're killing me trying to pick just one favorite par 3.  The Cypress duo is my favorite, and I love the 17th at Redlands Mesa that you posted, but here are a couple others I really like that have not been posted yet.

The 8th hole at Pronghorn (Fazio) in Bend, OR

The 15th hole at Whispering Pines in Trinity, TX

The 6th hole at Blue Lake Country Club in Twin Falls, ID

The 15th hole at The Members Club at Aldarra in Fall City, WA

Joe Bausch

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »
It was a couple of months ago that myself and Phil Young got a up close and personal tour of the last 5 holes at MEast.  I really got a much better appreciation of the 17th when we were just out to observe and not play.  The first two pics here are from an angle probably not photographed typically, on a little trail where you could be if you really hit a drive left on No 16:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Adam Clayman

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »
   Bart, Here's my favorite, overall. Not just because I birdied it the other day, either. It's because Tom had to jump on the dozer to build it and it's elasticity.

Looking back.

#3 is the most beautiful. 5 is where I happened to lucky one day, with my most recent ace. Approx. One year ago, to the month.

And 15 is the most exciting anticipating where one's ball may have ended up.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
huh? what's the deal with this one? is it a good hole?

Sean Leary

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »
huh? what's the deal with this one? is it a good hole?

Pics make holes look funny sometimes. Those trees are not in play, except from the back tee box (where this pic is taken), which is basically closed. US Am qualifer was here last year and they played it from where the bench is, where it is a very good hole.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:02:03 PM by Sean Leary »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
Adam:

We share the same favorite at your home club.  I just went nutso over that hole... it reminded me of Shinnecock Hills #11, only longer!

My my that is a great, great golf hole.  In fact all the par threes at said course are fantastic.  I called that the strength of the course and got some quizzical looks... I likely am crazy there for using "the" instead of "a" but man I loved those holes.

TH

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:22 PM »
Not one of the greats, but one I like because it makes me hit more than 8 iron and it rewards moving the ball (as long as it's not too wet).

Deacon's Lodge (Arnie Palmer) #3

closer view:
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kenny Baer

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2008, 01:53:28 PM »
#14 at Wolf Creek Outside in Atlanta (Mike Young)  I love this hole and have it anything from 5 iron to wedge; win the wind is blowing it can be extremely tough

Ignore the goofy picture of me and my buddy; but I loved this golf hole.  Part of the back nine at Highlands Cove in Highlands, NC; the green complex is awesome as the hole was on the front right and I landed my 5 iron in the dead center of the green and I almost made an ace.

Once again ignore the picture of me and my wife; but this is a great par 3 at Atlanta Country Club; the green sits beautifully in a natural little green sitting area; (can't think of the verbage).

Good drop shot par 3 at Atlanta Country Club.

Par 3 at Double Eagle on the front nine; short but well protected enough to make you tighten up; which is exactly what I did.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:05:27 PM by Kenny Baer »

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2008, 02:12:35 PM »

Can you see the ball pin-high on the left? (Mine!)

From four months ago. Before the world changed.

10th at Dornoch

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
While, again, not my favourite, here's another photo I just happened to come across of an unforgettable par-3 : the 8th at Victoria Golf Club, British Columbia.

I think this hole plays about 115 yards, max. As you can see, it's all carry over a fronting bunker which hides the green, here. This putting surface is very tilted and very wrinkled, too.

The 8th is out "on the point" at Victoria, jutting into Juan De Fuca Strait (Pacific Ocean), where it's frequently very windy. When the wind's up, this "little hole" can be a brute.

jeffmingay.com

Jon Heise

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »

Got to love #6, though I think I love 15 a bit more, just don't have any great pics of it...
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back