News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Post pics of your favorite par 3
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
Here are some better photos.

My two Jeff candidates:

4th:

12th:

And Mike's:

8th:

15th:

PThomas

« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »
Plainfield #11 - a short par 3 (some say a short par 5).

of course i missed the green long and left when i played there, leaving myself almost no shot, blind from way below to a very sloping green...

low and behold, i playe a perfect shot :), missing the hole by an inch and leaving it three feet away...

then i missed the putt! >:(
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:43 PM »
Kyle,

Si...

Noooooo!!!!!

By the way Kyle..is this really how I look chipping the ball or am I projectile vomiting off the back of the green?   :-[

Great posture!   ::)

That would explain a hell of a lot of things.   :-\ :'(

[EDIT]  Actually, the more I look at the picture, it seems I have one of those simian ape things going on where my hands are hanging below my knees.   This is NOT recommended from the Paul Runyan school of short game finesse, but it could help explain why I often chip and putt like a gorilla!   ;D

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:37:30 AM by MikeCirba »

James Boon

« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »
Some interesting looking par 3s are on here but why would people post pictures without letting us know where they are? Please, please, please can we have captions stating the course at the very least so we can all continue to learn about these courses? Okay soap box moment out of the way…

Here are a few of my favourites I could find pictures of. Most of these are holes I like architecturally or aesthetically but also have a story.

Brora 6th (afraid I have only recently started noting who some of these photos are saved from so I’m not sure on this one)
The 6th at Brora is just across from the caravan site I used to stay at as a kid so I’ve played that hole more than any other on the course as we would sometimes play our way back to the caravn site then keep playing the 6th or practicing on its wonderful green till it got dark.

Also Brora’s 6th, this time from right hand side (c/o Philip Gawith)

Notts (Hollinwell) 13th (c/o Sean Arble)
Notts is just one of my favourite courses locally and though I always struggled on this hole when I was younger, I managed a birdie a few years ago and have managed to hit the green ever time since.

Burnham & Berrow 5th (from the clubs website)

And looking down on the green from the right hand side (clubs website again)

About a year ago I played the 5th at Burnham & Berrow and missed the green right but it came down off a bank to about 10ft from where I holed for birdie. I then birdied the 9th and 14th but on the last par 3, the 17th hit it to 20ft and left the putt right on the front edge. Still, three 2s in a round isn’t bad…

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Bennett

« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »

of course i missed the green long and left when i played there, leaving myself almost no shot, blind from way below to a very sloping green...

low and behold, i playe a perfect shot :), missing the hole by an inch and leaving it three feet away...

then i missed the putt! >:(

LOL

Paul

I missed the green in exactly the same spot.  Had to play away from the pin (it was middle left) and played a career shot to 15 feet.  Holed it for par.  The black-socked big man reckoned it was worthy of being on TV that night as 'play of the day'.

I mention the story because of the obvious delight that both Paul and I obtained from having a recovery shot available to us.  Plainfield is challenging, but fun.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
Matt - great minds - I said the same thing on the previous page.

For the life of me I can't see how the proposed changes to 7 and 8 will be net improvements to either golf hole.  But I guess we should wait and see....

TH

Don't worry.  I'm sure we'll have another meeting in 25 or so years to "restore" the original holes.  Genius.  Pure Genius.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

and

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean_A

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »
Some interesting looking par 3s are on here but why would people post pictures without letting us know where they are? Please, please, please can we have captions stating the course at the very least so we can all continue to learn about these courses? Okay soap box moment out of the way…

Here are a few of my favourites I could find pictures of. Most of these are holes I like architecturally or aesthetically but also have a story.

Brora 6th (afraid I have only recently started noting who some of these photos are saved from so I’m not sure on this one)
The 6th at Brora is just across from the caravan site I used to stay at as a kid so I’ve played that hole more than any other on the course as we would sometimes play our way back to the caravn site then keep playing the 6th or practicing on its wonderful green till it got dark.

Also Brora’s 6th, this time from right hand side (c/o Philip Gawith)

Notts (Hollinwell) 13th (c/o Sean Arble)
Notts is just one of my favourite courses locally and though I always struggled on this hole when I was younger, I managed a birdie a few years ago and have managed to hit the green ever time since.

Burnham & Berrow 5th (from the clubs website)

And looking down on the green from the right hand side (clubs website again)

About a year ago I played the 5th at Burnham & Berrow and missed the green right but it came down off a bank to about 10ft from where I holed for birdie. I then birdied the 9th and 14th but on the last par 3, the 17th hit it to 20ft and left the putt right on the front edge. Still, three 2s in a round isn’t bad…

Cheers

James

James

Brora's 6th is a great par 3 and I think the best hole on the course. 

I am starting to figure out some strategies for getting around Burnham.  One strategy is that I always aim out toward the right mound/bunker if the pin is forward.  For some reason, the wind (which is normally off the left and down) doesn't effect the ball much here and the slope of the land, unintuitivly flows toward the high dunes on the left.  More often than not one can get a great kick off the mound and the ball funnels to the hole.  Its my favourite par 3 on the course. 

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Bennett

« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »

I have added a pic from the left side of #11, taken from #17 fairway.  It gives a better idea of the tremendous movement in the ground at Plainfield.  It also explains why some of us get excited about recovery shots here - long and left at #11 is obviously 'challenging', and the penalty for falling short on the tee shot is also apparent.  It is not 'hit and stick' at Plainfield!

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
There were a couple of requests to label mine:

Oh, I don't know what my favorite par 3 is, but here's a varied sampling of interesting ones:

Boston GC #5

Kapalua (Plantation) #12

Couer d'Alene #5

Warren Course #4

Teugega #12

Tehama #14

Kauai Lagoons (Kiele) #5

Kauai Lagoons (Kiele) #13

Pronghorn (Nicklaus) #17  (Redan-like qualities)

Primland (Highlands) #14

Adam Sherer

« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »

Ross's summer retreat (for those of you that know, please don't spill the beans)
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

TX Golf

« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »

Michael Warren

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:08 PM »
6th at PGA West Stadium

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »

Sean_A

Re: Post pics of your favorite par 3 New
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2008, 04:05:01 AM »
que pasa
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:35:43 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:33 AM »
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
Well spotted Andrew .

Andy Hughes

« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:16 AM »
And alas, no, unfortunately I do not have a pic of the Airplane hole at Glenbrook, but just so you don't get homesick, I found one of the wild 120 yarder at Water Gap CC. 

Thanks Mike!  ;)
Do you remember the picture of this hole that Tom Mac posted several years ago when it was still new? Such a difference!

"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Andy Hughes

« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »
We'll see how much this Pho works - I'm taking an actual girl on an actual date to a Vietnamese place tomorrow.

And?? How did the Pho work?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Patrick Kiser

Re: Post pics of your favorite par 3 New
« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »
Meant to post this one as well.  Haven't played it though ... but will someday.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:31:43 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Mike Benham

« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:57 PM »
Looks like it would be very difficult to get the ball close with a back right hole location.  I believe the prevailing breeze
 is left to right though ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

TX Golf

« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »
Mike,

It is a tough shot to get the ball back to that right pin position. However, there is a little more green to work with than it looks like in the photo. You were right about the wind, but it also is quite a bit behind you as well, which makes stopping the ball even more difficult. I wish I had an up close picture of the green as the whole back side is shaved and runs away from the player. A tough but fun hole.

Charles Scalzott

« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
Sentimental favorite - #17 at Cabo del Sol on my honeymoon.  My wife made me bring my clubs the morning we left...I knew I picked a good one for sure at that moment ;)

Michael Rossi

« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2008, 06:59:54 AM »
The following set of par 3's are my favorite that I have help build and maintain. They can be found on a course near Toronto called Eagles Nest.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »

Benign looking, buch more difficult than it looks! A real white knuckler.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back