GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Tillinghast Drawing

(1/2) > >>

Peter Galea:
Steve Curry sent this to me to post. It is Tillie's drawing of 4 and 5 at Berkshire Hills Country Club.

Tom MacWood (Guest):
No.5 looks like it might be the 'Reef'.

Peter Galea:
Steve, it's early here and I am without coffee. That's why I put the drawing in a new thread. I have since added it to the original post under the photo.

TEPaul:
The par 3 Tillinghast drawing is not a true "Reef" hole at least not a complete reef hole the way Tillinghast drew it and explained it in his original "Reef" hole drawing in "The Course Beautiful".

To be more exact to a true Reef hole there needs to be fairway to the right of the diagonal bunker scheme which would be the safe play "outside the Reef" has he explained it. To do that it would seem logical that the diagonal bunker scheme would come very near the green on the right, and that it may be generally closer to the green making the carry over it a bit harder. Tillinghast actually drew the shot options onto his design in the drawing I'm referring to.

It's interesting that still today there's a very long par 3 on the Bay Course at Seaview that looks almost exactly like that Berkshire drawing. Except the Seaview par 3 was designed and built by Ross. It's very long too!

John_D._Bernhardt:
TE Paul would not a Reef hole be a driveable par 4 instead of a long 3? Or is it optional?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version