News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: The Silver State's Top Ten ...
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
George:

Thanks for your candor on the 8th if played from the 153 yard boxes.

The usage of elevated tees is often done to provide the golfer with both added visibility and for the extra sense of power / control that comes from such perch-like tees. George, you are really the odd man out when you assess elevated tees - nearly all high handicap players that I have ever seen or talked to usually likes them for the elements I just mentioned.

I don't doubt there needs to be an adjustment made when playing from such areas because the effect on yardages / carries, etc, etc.

You made a case against Wolf Creek as not being "fun quirk" but I dare say that should you play across the pond you would be playing courses with quirk of a similar kind -- albeit without the cart rides. No doubt not every hole would feature tees planted high above the ground below but ones that would require a high degree of skill and be quick to punish those who do less than what is required.

One of my arguments about quirk is that American players give it broad license for their quick trips to such places -- when they are located in places like Ireland, Scotland, etc, etc. Places those same places here in the States and it's likely you and others would pan them as being out of touch.

A great example is both the Klondyke and Dell Holes at Lahinch. Take the Ireland tagline out of the address book and slap on one from Mesquite, NV and many people quickly leap from the pro to the con side.

One other thing -- "fun quirk" presumes some form of fairness and an avoidance of randomness. I see quirk as being a random situation which means no matter the skill factor employed there is a good chance for an odd bounce or some such other accident waiting to happen. I chuckle because people who play overseas readily accept such situations but when back in the States they see such similar situations as badly contrived.

Final note on Wolf Creek -- you lobbed the word "fun" in your assessment but at no time did you say anything at Wolf Creek was "unfair."

I have to add this -- Oakmont is not considered "fun" by many people -- including myself -- but I would not call the course "unfair." See what I mean ...

Just a few quick things:

- I believe I did stress that it wasn't fun quirk for me - I'm well aware that my tastes are probably a bit odd. I guess many high handicappers may like the highly elevated tees, but I sure don't. Again, I believe they place for more emphasis on experience than imagination or execution.

- I wouldn't say WC is unfair, just not my cup of tea. The only thing I try to emphasize to folks who haven't been there is to be aware of what you're getting into. In my case, I was going no matter what - it was my bachelor party weekend and my overly generous friends made all the arrangements. But I do believe it's worthwhile for posters to take note of instances in which they agree with certain posters, and then paying attention to what they post otherwise. For instance, if you told me a course was a long, difficult course, especially tee to green, I'd know if likely isn't a course for me. If someone else said that, perhaps someone not known for playing the long ball, it would likely have a different impact upon me.

- Lastly, I am admittedly someone who places a great deal of importance on the natural appearance of a course. As such, little desert golf is appealing to me, but WC is especially not so. I flat out don't get the folks who think it is beautiful or picturesque; to me, it's a sore thumb. Again, I am fully aware that this is my own personal bias.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »
George:

Thanks for sharing your "personal" point / re: Wolf Creek.

Yes, I think it's fair to say your "tastes are probably a bit odd."

We clearly see different things in regards to desert golf. You see such layouts as being "a sore thumb." I don't.

Totally disagree with your take that elevated tees don't promote "imagination or execution." It's also possible that a one time visit may not have registered in any deeper manner. The 2nd hole is a good example -- the dog-leg left makes you think very carefully on two critical fronts -- the total distance needed and how to shape the shots carefully -- from just about any of the tee boxes. Often times the challenge on such a hole is dictated for those who try for the far more riskier play -- here on the 2nd you have to be equally diligent in calculating just how far you need to it in the event you lay-up. Too many times the lay-up option is provided for as a given by many architects. That doesn't happen here at Wolf Creek -- and the 2nd is only one clear example of that.

I do appreciate you saying the course is not your "cup of tea." Plenty of times people throw forward a broader charge of "unfairness" because they seek to indict the course as being unsound or architecturally flawed. I too share a common theme on particular courses that are not my "cup of tea."

One other element to mention -- Wolf Creek is not LONG by modern standard of what you see courses being built today. No doubt when heavy winds are blowing that can influence things accordingly.

But people of different handicap levels and distances can play the course provided as always there is a keen understanding as to what a player is capable of doing on a consistent basis. Wolf Creek in so many ways is major pysch job by architect Dennis Rider. You need to wall off the distractions because they can easily provide the seeds of doubt that can have a major impact on one's shot execution. If players can realize their limitations and remain totally focused on the shot at hand they will be more than halfway home in handling the array of mental first / physical second, elements that lie at the heart of Wolf Creek.

Thanks for sharing George ...

George Pazin

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »
Totally disagree with your take that elevated tees don't promote "imagination or execution." It's also possible that a one time visit may not have registered in any deeper manner.

That's precisely my point - I think imagination would allow one to overcome the fact that it's a first visit. I believe hitting fairways from monstrously elevated tees is simply a matter of experience. "Last time I hit X". That's what I don't like about it. And it is indeed a very personal issue.

I would also agree that WC isn't long by modern standards, and it is playable by a wide range of handicaps. And, in fact, each time I think about the individual holes, I find one I forgot that I actually kinda liked (the first par 3, for instance - I liked the skyline nature of the greensite - and I think the next-to-last par 4 - I liked the somewhat blind drive and a pretty cool, understated greensite).

For me personally, WC is the rare creature that the whole is less than the sum of the parts. The repetitive cliff hanger tees, the speed bumps on the cart paths, the fact that more than one person has mentioned the similarities between the look of the golf course and the fantasy "hardest golf holes you'll never play" calendar, the occasional mediocre hole (the par 3 11th springs to mind) - it all adds up to a mediocre experience for me personally. And I've seen enough folks that agree with me on here to know that it isn't just me. We might be in the minority, but we're a vocal one.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2008, 08:28:04 PM »
George:

We disagree. The erroneous conclusion you state that "hitting fairways from monstrously elevated tees is simply a matter of experience." George, so is playing blind holes for the first time or almost any hole for that matter! Elevated tees are tough to play from because players have to be very precise in shot execution and in knowing how far to hit such a shot. I don't see that as weakness -- I see that as a course strength.

You also completely forgot my point on how architect Dennis Rider did a solid job in adding "mental" hazards in playing such a layout that is littered with all sorts of areas where misplayed shots can find a range of situations -- many of which are not pleasant. The "fear" factor that the architect throws forward requires players to block out all the elements that are "going on" when you stand over the ball.

George, in all honesty, you are one of those "I see classic golf as the only true design method" players. Desert golf is literally a foreign concept to you. No doubt you admit such a distaste for it and I salute your candor for saying so. But, while I salute your candor for your very narrow sense on what constitutes locations / styles for golf -- I don't see the elements provided for in Wolf Creek as being design that is weird in the same way that Desmond Muirhead first created a place like Stone Harbor in NJ when it first opened.

Frankly, I think your disapproval of desert golf in general is quite broad brush -- but that's your opinion and you are welcomed to it.

You talk about the cart rides element and frankly "classic school types" likely will want their golf to be a green located right next to the following tee box. That doesn't happen there and no doubt that matters to you and likely others. You keep on saying the repetitive cliff hanger tees as some sort of design flaw -- I see that as major plus -- the entire landing areas are in plain site and the player simply needs to execute.

George, there "are folks" here on GCA who might agree with just about anyone on any thing in particular. Wolf Creek is I have said before -- like hot and spicey Thai food -- if you are the type who simply prefers the steak and potato variety -- then the place will not be your "cup of tea." I also said Wolf Creek is like the movie, "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." Those seeking a course that is a classic movie type like "Citizen Kane" will again be in the wrong locale.

Wolf Creek is for those who want adventure golf -- you lampoon the place as beibng "fantasy golf" as outlined in the noted calendar. That's quite amusing but inaccurate. Well played shot at Wolf Creek are rewarded according to the proportion of the skill provided -- those that are poorly hit will find the corresponding penalty as well. That's fair game in my book.

We do agree on the par-3 11th -- but you have simply panned so many holes that are truly fun to play - as a great many others have mentioned here and elsewhere.

George, you are entitled to your opinion -- however, you form it.

Keep in mind, you also panned Black Mesa and that's desert golf -- albeit high desert golf. No matter -- we see things entirely different and that's fine. Appreciate your candid comments.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »
Has anyone played the new Nicklaus course just north of Vegas ?

Coyote Springs ...

I've seen pics and will be out there sometime after the holidays -- curious to hear if anyone has and where the course stands against the competition.

George Pazin

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
Matt, you're the only person I know who actually oozes disdain over the web. :)

For the record, I never panned Black Mesa, I simply disagreed with you on its playability for lesser golfers like me, us mere mortals. I know I wasn't the only gca'er at the outing who felt that way, even if I may have been the only way to say so on here.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
Matt,
If you're willing, I'd be curious if you'd be willing to do a combined "Mountain Area" top 10 or 20 from the states you've spent significant time in--AZ, NV, CO, NM, UT, perhaps add MT, WY. I'd be curious how you'd order the courses in these states you've praised--Wolf Creek, Black Mesa, Four Mile Ranch, Glenwild, Desert Mountain, etc. It deserves its own thread but would be an interesting thing to know (whether or not I agree with it!)  ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
George:

Geeze, you'd be surprised to know what others pass on to me concerning the actions of others too. ;)

C'mon, let's stop with the splitting of hairs over words. You panned Black Mesa -- you said the course was just not that playable from your positon.

If you don't want to use my specific word of "pan" -- then frankly your just substituting another word of equal value / distain.

Somehow the folk who see Black Mesa and other courses of this presentation style always fail to delve into anything more than quick throw-away lines on why such courses failed. There's more than enough sufficient width -- unfortunately, some people would have a hard time hitting the OK stateline even if they stood on the border with Texas. No doubt the people who see these courses in such a lesser light are attributing their own failures as part of their overall analysis.

Andy:

That would make for a fascinating topic -- the broad reach of the mountain time zone (mtz) does incoporate a wide field of worthy candidates -- many of which you mentioned.

Curious to know if you'd rather see a split between the privates and publics or simply an overall grouping ?

No doubt the mtz has become extremely competitive and features a range of courses that are among the very best in the USA.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

Andy:

That would make for a fascinating topic -- the broad reach of the mountain time zone (mtz) does incoporate a wide field of worthy candidates -- many of which you mentioned.

Curious to know if you'd rather see a split between the privates and publics or simply an overall grouping ?

No doubt the mtz has become extremely competitive and features a range of courses that are among the very best in the USA.

I'd put them all together personally--there's enough good public options that they will be represented. If you start the thread once you've had a chance to think about it I'll come up with a list as well although I won't have played all the major players (but enough of them to come up with something).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:54:01 PM by Andy Troeger »

George Pazin

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
George:

Geeze, you'd be surprised to know what others pass on to me concerning the actions of others too. ;)

C'mon, let's stop with the splitting of hairs over words. You panned Black Mesa -- you said the course was just not that playable from your positon.

If you don't want to use my specific word of "pan" -- then frankly your just substituting another word of equal value / distain.

Somehow the folk who see Black Mesa and other courses of this presentation style always fail to delve into anything more than quick throw-away lines on why such courses failed. There's more than enough sufficient width -- unfortunately, some people would have a hard time hitting the OK stateline even if they stood on the border with Texas. No doubt the people who see these courses in such a lesser light are attributing their own failures as part of their overall analysis.

Thanks for the laugh, Matt, sorry I foolishly attempted to have a substantive discussion with you and sorry for bringin facts into the mix.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
George:

Geeze, I always love the part where everything you say is "bringing facts into the mix" -- but what I happen to say is low level opinion at best. You did pan Black Mesa with a playability issue. I responded in kind and pointed out that the playability element is a distortion -- there's plenty of width and playability present. You delusionally hunker down to believe your "facts" about the course.

So be it  ...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:23:00 PM by Matt_Ward »

George Pazin

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »
Matt, would you agree that Pine Valley has plenty of width? Do you feel its playable for all levels of golfers?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
George:

Define "playable for all levels of golfers?"

If you are talking about people who can't get a ball airborne or are people who propel divots further than what they hit a golf ball then PV, along with countless other courses, is not playable for them.

These folks need lessons before embarking on such desires. I don't see such persons as golfers -- they are just occupying time and space and would be no different than ski beginners who belong on bunny slopes and not double diamond ones.

PV has sufficient width to accomodate all levels of golfers -- I define golfers a good bit differently than people who simply play the game as a once-a-year diversion.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2009, 04:33:20 PM »
Could be a new sheriff in town.  I played a new course yesterday that will easily make Matts top 5 if not be his #1 for Nevada.  The course just opened in July.   Its a pretty easy guess.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »
I had the opportunity to experience the same track two weeks ago, and I would agree--it is likely to land squarely in just about anyone's Top 3 in Nevada, and I think it may indeed be at the top of the list.  The tee shot on #9 over the "gunsight" is just one of the many thrilling shots, and I thought the clever use of the old ditch on #14/#15 was inspired...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
Peter:

Be curious if you can name the course in question.

I know of a few that have either opened or pushed up their time slot for play.

Is the layout in the Mesquite area ?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
Matt, I'm thinking Tahoe area, but it's just a guess based on their phraseology.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
Is the layout in the Mesquite area ?

About 5 or 6 hours away from Mesquite.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
It's Joel's thread to direct, so if he wishes to reveal the location, that's up to him...

This is a bit of a "teaser" of one of the par-3's

Matt_Ward

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »
Joel / Peter:

I imagine the architect is TF !

For the both of you to answer -- where would you rate the layout against any / all of the golf courses you have ever played ?

I ask this because it gives me some idea on just how good it happens to be.

Thanks for the pic -- it does look striking.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Mea culpa Joel and Peter -- I stand corrected -- C&C has the honor with the design. ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
Mea culpa Joel and Peter -- I stand corrected -- C&C has the honor with the design. ;D

Yes its Coore and Crenshaws Clear Creek which I believe is in Minden, NV. 

The above photo is the 17th, a downhill par 3 that plays 157 from the blue.  I hit a full wedge so its their short hole.  Bill Coore said it was an A+ hole, one of his favorite holes that he uncovered.  The green site including the mounds are all natural.  You can see the sandy soil.  The greens are NOT USGA spec.  They felt the perculation rate was so good they didn't need to build USGA spec.

There are many things very unique about this course.  Unlike all other courses in the Tahoe area, they did not use Kentucky blue grass.  As a result the course plays firm and fast from the start.  There is also no rough.  The fairways are wide yet if you miss you're in the trees and pine cones.

Todd Bell

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2009, 02:17:55 AM »
Lived in Vegas for the previous 13 years.  I've played all the courses in the Vegas area (Primm, Mesquite, and St. George, Utah).  I've only played Montreux and Arrow Creek up north. 

If you're looking for a diamond in the rough, it's not here.  The only course that stands out is Shadow Creek merely as an engineering marvel. 

Montreux, Southshore, and Southern Highlands are solid upscale private courses for the area.  However, commercial if compared to other like courses around the country.

Dragon Ridge C. C. (Morrish/Druzinsky design) is a course that wasn't mentioned on here but definitely in the top ten discussion.

Chase at Coyote Springs was an attempt to improve on Reflection Bay

If playing condition is of importantance, the Paiute courses are always revered.

Boulder Creek (Mark Rathert design) is the closest pleasant surprise you will find. Rathert is currently renovating Las Vegas Country Club which I think will be fantastic when finished later this year.

The Wynn course is pretty. 

There are a couple of courses in St. George, UT that are equal but not worthy of the 2 hr. drive from Vegas.

If there's ever a course that will garner any GCA acclaim, it will be discovered around the Ceder City, UT area.  Some excellent "natural"  settings for a golf course there. 

David Kelly

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2009, 03:57:25 AM »
Chase at Coyote Springs was an attempt to improve on Reflection Bay

That's a pretty grim sentence.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
David, Try implies can't. Team Jack tried to improve on their contouring and strategic designs. From the results, it's my opinion they ran out of ideas then defaulted to an Arizona/Florida housing course model. There are one or two standout holes, but the remainder is nothing new under the sun.

The new Shadow Creek is a much improved version with consideration for many of the principles that use to get discussed here.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back