News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

New Contender for TOP 10 US -- THE DORMIE CLUB
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:16:43 PM »
Today, through the kindness of a dear friend, I was able to go out and play several holes at the Dormie Club in Pinehurst NC.  The atmosphere for good golf is ideal...sand based soil, firm fairways and greens and beautiful, strategic golf hole design....Currently there are only a limited number of holes in the ground....but everything that is there is fabulous, terrific and fun.   The fourth hole is a medium length par 4 with a two tier fairway with the right side higher...drive it down the left and you get closer to the green but have a difficult approach to a phenomenal green complex...down the right gives you a wonderful view and angle to the severly sloping left to right green...amazing place.

It will not surprise me in the least if The Dormie surpasses Sand Hills as the #1 Crenshaw and Coore course but time will tell....I only was able to play 7 holes ....although the short par 3 12th (not yet playable) was another gem.

Bart

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

John Kirk

Re: New Contender for TOP 10 US -- THE DORMIE CLUB
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »
There's another thread by Ran out there which shows a few pictures of the course.  It looks wonderful.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
John:

It is wonderful...and the greens we played allowed for many many options ..including the ground game.  They were not the elevated greens of Sand Hills....they seemed to allow for a larger variety of approach shots...this course will certainly debut in the US TOP 100 and possibly in the US TOP 10.

Bart

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »
No pictures? Get lost.  ;)

DBE

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »
If anyone is interested in becoming an investor, the opportunity is now there as one of the three principals has withdrawn recently.  I don't know if this withdrawal will affect the completion of the course.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
No pictures? Get lost.  ;)

Ryan:

They are not yet ready for pictures....the course is still under construction...although the quality would shine through...it is just not yet finished....I certainly understood...I'm sure Ran will post a boatload of pictures when the time is right.

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »
If anyone is interested in becoming an investor, the opportunity is now there as one of the three principals has withdrawn recently.  I don't know if this withdrawal will affect the completion of the course.

David:

I was there today...everything is moving quite clearly forward...don't you think your post is inappropriate unless you know that it might somehow affect the completion.  I will admit that I know nothing of the investors...but I do know the golf course is coming along beautifully.

Bart

DBE

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »
Bart, are you stating that the withdrawal of one of the three principals will not affect the course's completion?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Bart, are you stating that the withdrawal of one of the three principals will not affect the course's completion?

David:

I have no idea...do you?  I am just saying that unless you know that to be true, it is probably unfair to say it.  Everything looks to be right on track...The course has 7 playable holes already and several more under construction.  I am not privy to the inner dealings of the club...are you?

Bart

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »
David, how's the champions tour these days?

Bart, that seemed quite a presumptuous (bordering on rude) response to what David had to say.  However, I'll let you lads sort it out.  I'll be the guy peeking through the fence, drooling over The Dormie Club like a character in a Faulkner novel.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

DBE

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »
Ronald, not as difficult as this thread!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:56:17 PM »
My old pro is Lonnie Nielsen.  I credit him for everything I have learned as an adult golfer.  I would pony up $50 per lesson and go out to Crag Burn to see him.  Give him my best when you see him.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 12:41:40 AM »

Currently there are only a limited number of holes in the ground....

It will not surprise me in the least if The Dormie surpasses Sand Hills as the #1 Crenshaw and Coore course...
Bart

A bit presumptuous, aren't we???

Or is absinthe now being produced in larger quantities in your locale?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:42 AM »
David and Gene:

Please forgive me for my rudeness.  I was quite excited about what I saw on my visit to The Dormie Club.   I think you will be when you visit as well.  I am sure that I don't have any inside information on the financial status of the place.

Bart

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
I'll be glad when the election is over. Then, possibly people won't feel they need to fight everything.

Bart,

Sounds like you really enjoyed the place.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »

It will not surprise me in the least if The Dormie surpasses Sand Hills as the #1 Crenshaw and Coore course but time will tell....I only was able to play 7 holes ....although the short par 3 12th (not yet playable) was another gem.

Bart

Bart,

Just curious if you have played Old Sandwich, East Hampton, Friars Head and/or Hidden Creek. The terrain of The Dormie Club looks similar to Old Sandwich and HC, where I am a member. Just trying to understand if you fell in love with "the look" (which I love too) or if Dormie is really that good.

Having played Friars Head this fall, I have to say that the course keeps getting better and better. If you like diversity of terrain, and I do, FH certainly has an advantage over the others.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
Hey, we're all rude at one point or another.  I'm glad you spoke of the course with such reverence.  Maybe I'll gather some chits and try to get in the gate next August when I make my pilgrimmage to Pinehurst.  For us, it looks like Southern Pines, Tot Hill and Tobacco Road, Little River and The Pit.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »
Mike:

I have played Sand Hills and Austin Golf Club and admired them both very much. 

I have not seen any of the four you mentioned although all have a fabulous reputation.  I did not mean to disparage any other course when I spoke of this course with such enthusiasm.

I liked the look, the feel, the holes, the property, the routing and the weather ;).   It was very good.

Ronald:

Thanks for the word of encouragement.  I am far from perfect.  I don't think that you would be disappointed if you find your way to The Dormie...we played Southern Pines yesterday for the first time as well....Really a fun track.

Bart

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
Bart,

Here is a good photo essay of Old Sandwich:

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/jcfsmith/Old%20Sandwich/

How do they compare?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
Mike:

You know how difficult interpreting pictures can be...but here goes.

The Dormie is built on openly sandy soil...there is no/almost no rough...the edges of the fairway just blend into the sandy scrub ...I just can't tell from those pictures but it looks like there is a lot of tall grass around the holes and not a lot of open sandy areas.

Does this help?

Bart

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
i have seen pictures of the Dormie Club, and have played everything in Pinehurst, so I know the area. The golf course looks great, but after only playing 7 holes, it would seem pretty tough to say one wouldn't be surprised if the golf course was rated higher than Sand Hills or courses "better" than Sand Hills.

With that said if you enjoy the golf course, who cares.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »
i have seen pictures of the Dormie Club, and have played everything in Pinehurst, so I know the area. The golf course looks great, but after only playing 7 holes, it would seem pretty tough to say one wouldn't be surprised if the golf course was rated higher than Sand Hills or courses "better" than Sand Hills.

With that said if you enjoy the golf course, who cares.

I am sorry that this comment offended/disturbed anyone.  I liked the course...I liked it a lot.  I think that it may well be highly ranked and considered one of the best of Coore and Crenshaw.  This is just an opinion...I have been wrong many times, I may be wrong about this...

Bart

Brian Cenci

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
Here's Ben sporting that hat at this year's Masters during the Tuesday practice round.

Craig Disher

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
Some recent photos:

Approach from the 4th fairway

4th green

8th fairway looking back towards tee which is over the ridge; a well-hit drive would arrive at about this point. This photo was taken to show the ground movement on the site and the width that C&C created.

15th tee; a relatively short par 4 with a healthy carry.

Approach to the 15th green

17th tee

17th approach

18th green looking back at the fairway

18th green-side bunkers and typical waste area that will be surrounding all the fairways

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back