News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Who Is Tommy Naccarato?
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Mike -

It is wonderful to hear from you again. You are most definitely remembered from GolfWeb.

I hope you will resume posting. I recall your perspectives as being flavored with a unique grasp of the history of architecture in Australia.

I hope all is well in Bangkok and that we hear from you again soon.

Bob (a/k/a Otey from GolfWeb days)

"Otey?"  ???

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
Damn. I hoped I could sneak that under the radar.

And, no, I'm not going to tell you the story. ;)

Bob

Noel Freeman

Re: Who Is Tommy Naccarato? New
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Mr. Pioppi-

We all know Tommy is the following:

The king of quirk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:58:49 AM by Noel Freeman »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »

Wow, if Tommy coming back can get Mike Duffy posting again. that's almost too much good news for one person to handle.

And no Torosay can't come back.

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 01:17:57 AM »
Mike -

It is wonderful to hear from you again. You are most definitely remembered from GolfWeb.

I hope you will resume posting. I recall your perspectives as being flavored with a unique grasp of the history of architecture in Australia.

I hope all is well in Bangkok and that we hear from you again soon.

Bob (a/k/a Otey from GolfWeb days)

Ah yes, now I remember the name well . . . Otey. A very regular poster indeed. And the best of regards to you too. I have just looked through the names on the board and most of them are unfamiliar to me, but that is not surprising as I haven't really posted anything of substance for over five years and I don't spend that much time on the internet these days. I guess I'm too busy (or lethargic) to post these days, but I will try sometime soon to post on something interesting regarding the courses on the outskirts of the "City Of The Angels". Playing golf here is far different to most other places that I have played over a lifetime. One can never seem to have a straight game of golf in these parts.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »
Well hello Michael,  this is a great surprise.  I hope your leg problems are totally recovered and you are walking around fine again.  We have a member of our county Men's club that stays mid December to end of April in Thailand.  He buys a yearly membership there and pays less than his seasonal pass here.  And, he says he lives there cheaper than here on a daily basis.  He says that while the golf is very different, and apparently a lot of betting, he likes it for the change of style from here being that variety is the spice of life aspect.  I can't say what other 'variety' he may indulge in overthere that is spicy or different than here...  ::) :o ;D

Be well, and please give us some of your insight and great story telling as to your Asian golf experiences.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
Mike -- nice to hear from you.  You were one of the last holdouts on Bravenet (Traditionalgolf.com)!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
Out of sheer embarassment, I've held back on visiting this thread, but thanks to all for the warm welcome back, but most bringing Mike Duffy back home to us!

Mike, I don't know what the Hell your doing in Thailand and why on earth your not playing your golf at your beloved Peninsula, please do tell!

Thailand? That could be fun. Or as Dick says, an added "spice" of life!

BCrosby

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Kevin -

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the early days on TraditonalGolf. Somebody ought to be recording the zig zags of our little group.

Mike -

Health, distance, age, jobs, none of those are excuses for not posting more often. Hope to see you around.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »
Next thing you know we're gonna hear from Ken Pitts.

;D ;D

Just another name for the old-timers....

Hello Mike.  I was on those old forums too... going back to rec.sports.golf even before Bravenet and traditionalgolf... was was Tommy, Craig E, Kevin R, Bob, the now gone redanman, Dan King, Bob Huntley, a few others who now post here... it's funny how long we have all "known" each other now.

Tom Huckaby (I always have unimaginatively posted under my own name)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »
I first started on that other free-for-all, and used Bendelow2, because it was so raucous and outrageous that it seemed you didn't dare use your real name for fear of cyberstalkers or something....  ::)

Then we had a first and second crack at the forum where some of us more serious folk started to congregate.  Some from that raucous forum migrated to the forum just before Bravenet that I believe then Mike Golden was a star finanicial sponsor of that Bravenet effort up until its demise. Then it really took off on a serious golf architecture discussion.  Mike Duffy was a star there.  Unfortunately, his star collided with Mike's star and we had a bit of a black hole envelope...  :-\  And, as we have seen as these discussions have really gone global, stars still do collide, very sadly as we all know here on GCA.com from regretable occasional solar storms...  :'(

But there is hope, and guys like Mike are still making their way back once in a while.   ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »
Next thing you know we're gonna hear from Ken Pitts.

;D ;D

Just another name for the old-timers....

Hello Mike.  I was on those old forums too... going back to rec.sports.golf even before Bravenet and traditionalgolf... was was Tommy, Craig E, Kevin R, Bob, the now gone redanman, Dan King, Bob Huntley, a few others who now post here... it's funny how long we have all "known" each other now.

Tom Huckaby (I always have unimaginatively posted under my own name)

Ah Tom H, how could I forget you? I remember you well. I was trying to remember some of the "old" names the other night over a few beers, but I guess the intake of the brown suds didn't help in my recollection.

And Kevin R, another old stalwart whom I remember fondly, and what can I say about my old mate, the Right Hon. R. J. Daley, esq, the man with the eye for design from the dairyland of the USA.

Dan King I should of thought of right away, because as I recall he was the moderator on golfweb when we had all of the verbal altercations with the abusive Torosay.

And of course Tommy N, the man from Orange Country, Cal, and I'm glad to hear that you are still going strong Tommy.

Its now coming back to me, Craig E I remember as well and Bob Huntly who spent some of his earlier years in South Africa and Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia as it was then named).

But please tell me Tom, what do you mean when you say "the departed redanman". Could you elaborate please!

My health is fine, my golf 50/50 (due to lack of playing time), my original visit to Thailand some years ago was to research and write a book about Jim Thompson, the former American spy, who settled in Thailand after WWII, and revived the Thai silk industry.

I received a handsome stipend from the publishers (Murdoch owned, so double the pleasure), but upon completion two other books on the same subject were published so the manuscript is still with the publishing house.

Then I was offered a job as an editor of one of Bangkok's weekly newspapers, which I accepted and which I have put a lot hard work into over the past four years. Presently I'm back in Melbourne, albeit briefly, laying the groundwork for our permanent return in the first half of next year.

Thailand is a fascinating country, cultured, corrupt, infuriating, perplexing, delightful, unstable, assailant to the senses, reflections in an eyeball, the new, the old, the brash, the demure, the mega rich, the burgeoning middle class, the rural poor, the brooding military, the internicine police forces, all of the above and more held together by the reverence of the Thai people for their monarch, HR King Bhumipol, who has been on the throne since 1946. Unfortunately the King's health is not good in his 81st year and I would not like to be residing in Thailand when dies.

For now, cheers to the "old gang".

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 08:30:42 AM »

Mike,

No worries,  Redanman is still alive and kicking, he just is no longer a member of the GCA family so he no longer posts here.

Its good to hear from you again and that things are going well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back