News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Varney

The Dye Course at Rarity Mountain (Image Slideshow)
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »
GCA,

I took images on Sunday of The Dye Course at Rarity Mountain that we are building working with Pete & P.B. Dye in Tennessee.  I have tons of images so what I have done is create one PhotoBucket slideshow that starts with #1 and goes through all the holes.

We are still finish shaping #11, #12 and #13 and these holes are going to be really good when they are done but, you should get a good idea of how fun this Dye course will be to play come early next summer in 2009. I hit shots on almost all the holes on the front 9 today and my images were taken from the back tee and from where my ball landed hitting these shots.

One Note - We are currenlty filling our 22 million gallon irrigation lake so we have maintained watering on all tees, fairways and greens and let our roughs suffer during the last month so they have taken a beating and you will see the brown color.  Our superintendent and his staff are in the process this fall seeding bluegrass and fescue blends so that we have really nice green color come spring next year.

Click on this web link below to view the PhotoBucket slideshow -

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/mdvarney/Dye%20Course%20October%202008/?albumview=slideshow

I look forward to hearing your comments and feedback!

Matt

PCCraig

Re: The Dye Course at Rarity Mountain (Image Slideshow)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »
Good morning Matt-

I can't see anything when clicking your link. Perhaps its my computer, but do you think you could post a couple on GCA to give me a taste?

Thanks!
H.P.S.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
Looks like some pretty wild terrain! Based on pics I don't think anyone could ever say this course is dull!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Looks like alot of fun to me, great terrain, may be a touch penal
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matt Varney

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:53 AM »
Can someone tell me how you upload images into a thread?

If you play the right tees this course is fun if you think you are player and start off playing the tips you better bring some balls.  The fairways and greens have nice contours but they are not tricked up.  If you hit a good drive and a good approach you are rewarded and we have a good mix of risk reward holes that allow you take some chances or play safe.

One thing for sure you better be hitting your driver well.  Pete & P.B. have designed this course to handle the modern game playing 7,250 yards from the tips but, the average player can have a hell of a good time playing from the middle tees.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
Just from the photos... I liked the gathering nature of some of those bunkers. Also, the subtle shaping looks well done.

Matt, Do you know how those bunker surrounds will be maintained as the course matures?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt Varney

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »
Adam,

Most of the bunkers will have bluegrass and fescue rough.  In many of are natural areas where we have bunkers that are in play just off the fairway and around some green complexes we will use the tall ornamental fescue that will be about 24" high.  The front areas around the bunkers are the standard first cut of rough allowing a players ball to catch unless hit really poorly and in those cases the ball will bounce and land in the bunkers. 

Currently, we are focusing on completion of all 18 holes, practice range and putting / chipping green areas.  We have pinpointed areas on the course where we can seed natural native grasses and wildflowers along with some specimen trees that are common in our region. 

Personally I am planting some trees (redbud, dogwood and maples) for my little girls on some of my favorite holes so that over the years they will mature and can be seen in the background near tees and greens when playing the course. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
Matt,
Where in Tennessee is this course again? I want to say I remember it being just north of Knoxville, is that correct?

Thanks for posting, its interesting to see the course taking shape. Looks fairly dramatic in spots.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
Looks pretty easy to play and walk, and, cheap to build.

Matt Varney

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:34:57 PM »
Andy,

The course is located about 45 minutes north of Knoxville. 

Chip,

Its not cheap to build a can assure you of that based on the money already spent to date we have had to move a ton of dirt and blast rock to create the best routing for the holes.  You can walk this course is just helps because of the slopes on the Par 3's to have a cart.  Please feel free to come down and play next year I will the course with you and we will need some drinks after the round to recover.

One last thing - I played some holes on Sunday and it is not easy.  The first 5 holes are good 6, 7, and 8 will really test you to make pars.  #9 is really fun and a good chance to make birdie if you hit a good second shot.  Come next spring when the course is ready to open for play it will test the best players from the tips at 7,250 yards the wind is always a factor swirling around from hole-to-hole.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »
Matt-

Sorry, I was being facetious.  It looks really hard and really expensive. I just kidding around. ;D

When does it open?

Were the ponds only for hazards or were the required for irrigation?

Chip

Matt Varney

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »
Chip,

We are planning to open next year in May-June timeframe.  I thought you were just kidding it costs some big money to build a course like this because of the unknowns like rock blasting and irrigation lake construction.  We only have water in play on #10 that lake is used solely for irrigation for the golf course and practice facilities.

Pete & P.B. Dye have done a great job on the design to create suttle contours that easily flow well and incorporate the more severe contours of this mountain land.  Except for a couple slopes on holes like #2 and #14 you could walk this course.  The routing pretty intimate with greens and tees for the next hole close to each other on almost all the holes on the course.

Matt

Richard Boult

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:38:13 PM »
I guess the link to a slideshow qualifies... posted at:
http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Tennessee

ah, just found another thread where you posted the photos... changed link to:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36927.0.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:42:28 PM by Art Fuller »

Matt Varney

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
Art,

Thanks for posting those images I was up at the course this morning early checking on the project.  This course is going to be fun to play and the setting is as good as the golf.  I am planning to have a GCA / Media Day in May-June 2009 around our grand opening to have people come in and play the course next year.

Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back