News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Who Is Tommy Naccarato?
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
Now that the Big Man is back on the site, I think there needs to be an explanation to people unfamiliar with Tommy, exactly who he is and what he means to us... in 34 words or fewer.

I'll begin by quoting Zhiqu: "When you're deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you're enlightened, every word is wisdom."

Steve Lapper

Re: Who Is Tommy Naccarato?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »
Emperor No Liki Tedi :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:24:09 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
Oh please.......

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
Tommy-

I remember reading your posts when I first started lurking here, maybe five years ago. Without getting into why you left, could you let me know your background and your relationship with GCA?

And welcome back!
H.P.S.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »
He comes from a humble background, with roots that run as deep as the oil wells that pierce the Los Angeles Basin landscape.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
TOMMY!
Ya damn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
TOMMY!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
TOMMY!
Right On!

They say this cat Tommy is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Tommy.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
TOMMY NACCARATO!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »

I think a photo spred is indicated.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
TOMMY!
Ya damn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
TOMMY!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
TOMMY!
Right On!

They say this cat Tommy is a bad mother
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Tommy.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
TOMMY NACCARATO!

That was classic!
Tommy is one of the nicer people I have ever run into in my life. Just a good guy.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »
I believe he was the only drummer of Spinal Tap to live and tell about it.

He now exists only in backroom circles committed to the frank discussion and commentary...of anything and everything.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
The ultimate Tommy thread.   

Somewhat difficult to follow now because the pictures are gone and some posts have been deleted.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12096.0.html

Tom Dunne

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
Welcome back, Kotter!  8)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

We need pics...personal data...facts...detailed bio...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

All you need to know is that he is Italian and connected.....

Yours truly,

Joey The Nose
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »

Yours truly,

Joey The Nose

Que bella

Tim Leahy

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »
Wasn't he a regular at the "Badda Bing"? 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »

Yours truly,

Joey The Nose

And be sure not to cross him or this guy might show up at your door.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »
Now that the Big Man is back on the site, I think there needs to be an explanation to people unfamiliar with Tommy, exactly who he is and what he means to us... in 34 words or fewer.

I'll begin by quoting Zhiqu: "When you're deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you're enlightened, every word is wisdom."

It was hard live without the passion of the "Emeror".  A terrific guy and wonderful friend.  Great to have him back
Fairways and Greens
Dave

Emmy

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
Once again, the site is complete with Tommy back on board.

Welcome Tommy!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »
I've heard that Tommy is so famous in LA that he has his own honorary perpetual table-for-one setting at El Cholo.

and if you see a lowrider truck like this parked outside El Cholo, it is a prettygood bet Tommy is inside.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:25:58 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Golden

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:17 PM »
The Emperor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Emperor can refer to:

The Emperor (Tarot card)
Palpatine, a character from the Star Wars franchise
Piano Concerto No. 5 (Beethoven)
Thomas Naccarato, noted Golf Architecture expert, critic, writer, and bon vivant

[edit] See also
Emperor
Emperor (disambiguation)

Thomas 'The Emperor' Naccarato (pronounced Tommee Nac-car-ato) is a true Southern California icon.  Born in La Habra, California to Italian-American parents, Thomas grew up in middle class surroundings dreaming of becoming the first rock and roll golf architect.  At the age of 11, he was involved in the design of the first miniature golf course that specifically avoided the usual miniature golf course features such as windmills, waterfalls, and clown's mouth in favor of the classic design elements embodied at the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland (attribution needed).  It was just a sign of things to come.

Thomas' life changed forever after a visit to St. Andrews in the early 1990's, possibly the result of one too many pints at the neighoring taverns.  Since that time, Thomas has been an outspoken critic of the deficiencies in the design of many golf courses in the United States, in particular the works of noted architects such as the late Ted Robinson, Jr. and Tom Fazio while providing passionate support of the classic designs of Alastair MacKenzie and George Thomas.

Mr. Naccarato has also been active in bringing to the public information about the history of many Southern California courses such as Recreation Park and Virginia Golf Club in Long Beach, Santa Anita in Arcadia, and Brookside in Pasadena.

A lifelong fan of the Los Angeles (nee Brooklyn) Dodgers, Mr. Naccarato can often be found at his favorite restaurant, El Cholo, munching on chips, sipping margaritas, and watching his beloved Dodgers come up short once again.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 12:19:40 AM »
Shorts a hitch, belly a miss, smiles for days...

Freckles at times but laughs and rhymes, for newbies and veterans alike...

Should have seen him at the KP in Palm Springs... Good times ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »
Tommy adds a lot of zest to this website.  It's sort of like that zesty sauce on the In-and-Out Burgers.  You don't really know how much you miss it until you get another taste of it!

And nobody knows PhotoShop any better!  I had no idea about all the changes to LaCumbre CC until Tommy posted the current aerial with the old routing.  What a difference.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
Basically, Tommy is a thinker, which is what we need most today.  Not someone that will agree, necessarily, but will offer his view without regard for the outcome.  In other words, it is his point of view.

Thanks for people like Tommy, and welcome back !

Willie

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
G'day Tommy,

I hardly ever visit GCA these days, but this morning I happened to notice the postings re you. I hope that you haven't been ill, or if you have been, that you are fully recovered. I remember very clearly the early days of the web and Golfweb.com. Yourself, redanman, Chris Collucci, RJD, Court Graham, Mothman and that disruptive interloper Torosay (or something similar).

You might be interested to know Tommy that where I now reside (Bangkok) most of the golf courses are terrible due mainly to the designers - yep, I'm sorry to say - mostly modern American designers.

I miss the Melbourne sandbelt greatly, and I should make an effort to come by this way more often. To you Tommy and those who remember me from all those years ago on Golfweb I send you my kindest regards.

BCrosby

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
Mike -

It is wonderful to hear from you again. You are most definitely remembered from GolfWeb.

I hope you will resume posting. I recall your perspectives as being flavored with a unique grasp of the history of architecture in Australia.

I hope all is well in Bangkok and that we hear from you again soon.

Bob (a/k/a Otey from GolfWeb days)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back