News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Lawsonia: The Links Course Photo Tour (The Front Nine)
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
How does a course that has been on top 100 lists since the inception of top 100 lists fly under the Radar?

I'm 90% certain the first time I ever heard of a top list was standing on the first tee at Lawsonia. We had met a guy who had just sold his coin op Laundry business in Ca. and was traveling across country playing DG's to 75 places to play.

I'd wager, even with that little description, someone on this board would know who that first nut job was?

It was likely 1989-90.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ian Andrew

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »
Dan,

There is a reason I've had that on my top 10 must play list for about 5 years now. Your course tour is fantastic and I look forward to the next nine.

What a fantastic collection of holes. I can't think of many courses that are that bold and on that massive a scale.

Is it as severe as it looks in places?

Are the fairways generous?

thanks for the tour....

Richard Boult

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 11:43:15 PM »
This excellent tour has been added to our photo tour directory at:

http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Wisconsin

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 12:29:58 AM »
Adam,

I'm guessing the answer to being under the radar is ... Wisconsin.

How does a course that has been on top 100 lists since the inception of top 100 lists fly under the Radar?

I'm 90% certain the first time I ever heard of a top list was standing on the first tee at Lawsonia. We had met a guy who had just sold his coin op Laundry business in Ca. and was traveling across country playing DG's to 75 places to play.

I'd wager, even with that little description, someone on this board would know who that first nut job was?

It was likely 1989-90.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Phil McDade

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »

What a fantastic collection of holes. I can't think of many courses that are that bold and on that massive a scale.

Is it as severe as it looks in places?

Are the fairways generous?

thanks for the tour....

Ian:

I'll just add my two cents...

The fairways are quite generous, and notably improved in recent years. presumably with the advice and assistance of Ron Forse (whose work their should not be under-estimated). One of the things that I think Langford accomplished at Lawsonia -- particularly with the course's five par 5s -- was to give the golfer a series of options about how to attack a hole. In a sense, on a number of holes, you can sort of tack your way around them -- Langford liked to give the better golfer a challenge through features like high bunker lips and steep green falloffs, while allowing the lesser golfer a way to take on the hole without feeling overwhelmed (I actually think the boxcar 7th hole -- the par 3 with the extremely pushed-up green -- is an interesting example of this. Like a lot of par 3s surrounded by deep trouble on all sides, the view from the tee is fairly uncomfortable. But the shot itself is in the 150-yd range, and the green is actually much larger than it appears from the tee). The "tacking" approach that Langford used is notable in such par 5s as the 11th, 13th, and especially the closing 18th.

Having said that, the greensites and fairway bunkering can be fairly described in several places as severe. The greenside falloffs and high lips on many of the bunkers are quite penal -- it can be hard to advance the ball forward that much if you're in a fairway bunker, and it's a very tough up-and-down from down below if you mishit an approach and find yourself down one of those embankments. Part of Lawsonia's appeal, to me, is this interesting mix of both generous and penal approaches to the design.

Dan Moore

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »

Lawsonia’s back nine, which consists of an eclectic compilation of holes, is a fascinating example of  Langford’s view that “the distribution of length much more than total length determines a course’s character.”   Starting with the Herculean 10th  which just may be the hardest "long" hole on the course, one confronts 3 par 3’s, 3 par 5’s, two of which are reachable in two, and 3 par 4’s arranged 3-5-3-5-3-4-4-4-5.  When looked at from a distance point of view in terms of the final approach shot required, depending on the option taken from the tee or with the lay-up,   the holes play like this 10 (long), 11 (long or short), 12 (medium), 13 (medium/short), 14 (short/medium) 15 (medium), 16 (long), 17 (medium/short), 18 (long or short). 

10th Hole  239/217  (240)

Ron Forse calls the 10th at Lawsonia one of the three best long par 3’s in the world.  This hole tests the strength and accuracy one’s long game as much as any of the long holes on the course.  An imposing cross bunker aligned with the surface of the largest green on the course hides abundant fairway between it and the green creating problems with the perception of the length of the hole.  The cross bunker hides the wide open and welcoming to a run up to the huge green which contains some very significant internal undulations and imposing pin locations as my recent 3 and 4 putts can attest.  A 3 can be viewed as a half birdie and a 4 a half par. 

10th From the Bridge behind the 10th Tee

10th From Green

10th at dawn showing open approach to green beyond the cross bunker, tee is out of frame to the far right

10th Green Undulation and Recapture

11th Hole  510/482  (455)

One of my favorite holes on the course, the 11th is an ingeniously strategic hole combining penal bunkering with a variety of ways to attack the short par 5.  An opportunity to regain ground lost on 10, one will be reasonably happy to complete 10 and 11 in 8 shots regardless of where they are taken. 

The 11th is an outstanding example of Langford’s view that “Hazard’s should be placed so that any player can avoid them if he gauges his ability correctly, so that they will make every man’s game more interesting no matter what class player he is, and offer an award commensurate with the player’s ability.”  (1914)

11th From the tee the safe play is to the left, the risk reward line over the bunker on the right

11th  The Penal Fairway Bunkers must be avoided

11th From Landing Zone. The staggered bunkering presents a variety of options with serious penalties imposed on those who fail to execute their chosen approach.   

11th Green from short of the green showing a subtle raised green edge that hides the  green surface on approaches from inside 100 yards making the short approaches much more difficult to judge.  Laying up well short of the green provides a better view of the green surface.

11th Look Back.  Just a simple straight hole right! 

12th Hole  183/171  (175)

Located in the middle of an open field without any natural advantages, nevertheless Langford created a hole of merit.  Fronting bunkers repeat the bottleneck theme seen on several holes and significant interest is gained from a large San Andreas faultline running through the rear of the green. 

12th From Tee  Playing slightly uphill with the prevailing wind front hole locations can be very tricky.

12th Green The San Andreas Fault segments the green. 

12th  Confronting the Faultline

12th Looking  Back

13th Hole  568/556  (560)

The 13th,   the longest hole on the course, calls for well considered tactics combined with bold, accurate shotmaking.  The need for a strong drive is tested by a series of bunkers aligned en echelon along the left edge of the fairway creating a slight cape effect for those who challenge the bunkers in an effort to gain distance.  The second shot requires a well played well placed shot past the tree located 180 yards from the green.  The fairway drops off significantly inside 120 yards and one needs to be careful to avoid a down hill lie for the third to the green located high on a bluff surrounded by pines. 

13th From Tee

13th  Bunkers en echelon  “ Thus to open up two or more avenues of play on a hole we must build our cross bunkers en echelon (step formation or diagonally across the course, and must allow bunkers built at right angles to the line of play to extend only partially across the course, leaving room to play around them at one or both ends.”  Langford 1914   

Langford’s 1914 drawing showing en echelon bunker arrangement

13th From the landing zone showing the original tree 185 yards from Green

13th From the landing zone right

13th  A Look Back.  Note the ideal lay-up location on a plateau between 150 marker and about 120 yards.  Unless you can get all the way to the bottom of the gully anything farther risks a downhill lie to the uphill green location. 

14th Hole  154/139  (130)

Another fine short hole with a tilted and tiered green that runs hard from back to front.  Hole would benefit significantly from some tree trimming and removal

14 in the 1930’s with no pine trees around the green

14th Green in 1968 surrounded by pines

14th Green Today

14th From Green

15th Hole  394/379  (395)

The 13th is an extremely fine hole.  From the elevated tee the bold line is over the tree on the right, but not too far right as the green is tucked just around the corner of the trees on the far right.  Dense forest right and a bunker just beyond the tree punish those on the bold line who fail to execute.  The bunker is not a double hazard in the sense that once in the bunker the tree is behind you.  While the bold line over the tree may cut off distance and place you atop the hill, the better angle to the green is to the left hand side of the fairway.  Those playing left for the better angle who fail to carry the crest of the hill (260 yard carry) are left with a tricky sidehill, uphill lie to the raised green.  Again multiple options from the tee with a variety of outcomes dependent on the quality of play. 

15th From Tee this shot was taken below the elevated tee

15th 2nd Shot from left showing the open angle from the left

16th Hole  443/436  (435)

The four finishing holes, and the 16th in particular, provide an example of Langford’s preference for a difficult group of finishing holes “especially the 16th” to provide “good fighting ground for the finish of a hotly contested match.”  Playing uphill the entire way, 16 simply requires two very solid, long strokes to get home in two; as it should be on the  most difficult par 4 on the course. 

16th  From Tee. Best line is over the left bunker which greatly opens up the approach to the green.

16th Approach to Green Tucked to the Right

16th  from the 13th Fairway

16th Looking Back

17th Hole  383/363  (365)

The 17th is a subtle hole on the same flat open area as the 12th  where once again manufactured features provide an element of strategy that will reward thoughtful play.  Playing slightly downhill two large flanking bunkers only 175 from the tee hide the green from view.  As a result the key to this hole is to notice the pin position on 17 from the 12th tee as the pin location determines the proper line of play from the 17th tee. 

17th From Tee with the green hidden from view by another example of bottlenecked bunkers pinching the fairway. 

17th Green Another stellar green complex with bunkers that beautifully mirror the orientation and form of the fairway bottleneck bunkers. 

17th Green viewed from far left showing advantage gained in attacking a pin from the proper side of the fairway as there is no way to get close to this flag from the right hand side of the fairway.   

17th Looking Back From Green with pin in middle of green

18th Hole  580/490  (475)

Possibly an ode to the sailboats below on Green Lake, the 18th requires the tacking skills of a master sailor.  A short strategic hole, the 18th is a match play dream hole.

18th From New Back Tee.  Adding 90 yards completely changes the original character and intent of the hole for the average player, but may return that intent for the young guns. 

18th From Tee Shot Landing Zone showing the green of the this par 5 is very well protected and difficult to attack in two. 

18th  The view from 150 showing the advantage of  carrying the right hand bunker and playing well to the right of the direct line with your second shot

18th Green at Dawn

Late afternoon View of the Backnine From the 18th Green

Lawsonia’s Backnine in 1968 before the tree planting program with 12 green in the foreground and the tree on 13 visible in the background

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

C. Squier

Re: Lawsonia: The Links Course Photo Tour (Back Nine Added)
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Dan, thanks again.....just a reminder that Lawsonia may be THE best value in all of golf. 

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »
Dan,

great review.  The 1914 drawing is a wonder, makes you wish we had much more Langford remaining than we do.  And the pic of #14 sans trees makes clear the desired course of action--cut down some more trees!

Looking at the pics of 12, 15, and 17, I continue to be troubled by the best way to confront those greens protected by steep slopes in front and bunkers on the side.  Particularly when the hole is set in front near the front opening, well-chosen strategies and well-executed shots are required to leave the ball in a place that more often results in par than in bogey.  It's certainly not obvious on the first few times around the course how much accuracy--or good recovery chipping and putting--is required to score well.

I hope Dan's review inspires more of the readers here to see Lawsonia. 

Just watch out for the speed trap en route through Rosendale, WI
http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/jeffwagner/18547444.html

Rob Rigg

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together - Lawsonia looks like a must play for anyone visiting the area.

I'll take 36 holes there instead of visiting Whistling.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
Dan, one question on that last B&W photo of newly planted pines in (1968)?  Somehow I think that date may be wrong.  My earliest memories of Lawsonia are from about 59-60, and I'm quite sure those pines were already bigger then.  Can you double check that '68 date?

My summer golf hasn't turned out the way I hoped when I started the year, with very nagging back injury.  So, now that the season is about done, my one small highlight of the year is a modest one, but meaningful to me, I birdied 13 the two successive times I played it this year.  Since I was a young boy, I always had an affinity for that look of those bunkers en echlon.   They really are the same from the first I saw them. 

Man, I hope some archie has the right place to build that 1914 5 ways to Sunday hole some day. How about another tribute course 'Old L&M" or some such?  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:15 AM »
Would it be possible to restore that 1914 design of 13 or would that extra fairway segment put you in the line of play on #11?  I've only played there twice so I can't remember the exact routing...

I like 13 but I really do think it would be better with that design, if there were room and of course they removed those trees on the hillside to the right that would be in the way.

I can't claim consecutive birdies there but I made one of those 'recovery from something stupid' birdies I particularly love.  My first time around I foolishly tried to murder a 2 iron from something like 255 on a hanging lie and caught it a bit heavy and off the toe and caught those trees on the right, dropping down on the pine straw about 70 yards short.  I managed to hook-chip a little grounder out through a tiny opening between the trunks and put it on the green, then sink a downhill 40 foot double breaker to the front left hole location.  That's almost better than an eagle because I thought I had 6 for sure and maybe worse when I saw my ball rattling around in those trees!  Sometimes you gotta take comfort when the breaks go your way because there were a few other holes at Lawsonia where they most certainly did not :o

I definitely gotta get back there, just wish it was a bit closer so it was a reasonable day trip for me...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Moore

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »
Dick,

The 1968 photos are accurate but it looks like the pines were added around 14 at some earlier time.  The trees in the foreground are around 12 green.  Tom Spaulding then in his first year as super stated he added 250 trees to help cut the wind.

Did you ever play #1 as a par 5?  I'm curious as to when they changed it?

Doug,

The 1914 drawing had nothing to do with Lawsonia so there is nothing to restore.  It is a cool looking multi-option hole though and I haven't yet seen a Langford course  on the ground that has multiple fairways. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 11:58:03 AM »
Doug:

Just my two cents; RJ and Dan probably have thoughts as well...

There might be enough room to duplicate Langford's "five-way" par 5 on the current 13th, but you'd have to take out a bunch of native grass that now sits as something of a divider between the last half of 13 fairway and the 15th fairway, which parallel each other for a good bit. There is some room there, but as Dan mentions, 15 is a hole in which many players will be angling left off the tee (both to avoid the bunker -- the one with the tree in front -- and for a better angle into the green.) You can get a good sense of the land between 13 and 15 on Dan's last photo of 13 -- I believe that's Mr. Terhorst trudging up the hill with his red bag.

And to follow Langford's drawing exactly would also require getting rid of a bunch of pine trees that separate the top 1/3 of 13 and the teeing area of 11. The very deep ravine that must be taken into account on 13 is the same ravine one crosses on the tee shot on 11. The hole does play to some extent like Langford depicted in the five-way drawing -- there are certainly multiple lines of attack with both the tee shot, as well as succeeding shots. (The deep ravine really serves a similar purpose as the large bunker that separates his left and right "fair greens" in the drawing.)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:00:37 PM by Phil McDade »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
Great job on the tour Dan.  You got some nice light for the back 9 photos in particular.

Brad

Brent Carlson

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 08:22:42 PM »
Dan,

Fantastic job with the write up.  Your passion for Lawsonia is very evident.  And surely it is a fantastic golf course.  As mentioned, the conditioning is quite good with firm fairways and fast greens.

Anyone who gets the chance definitely get up there and play it.

Someone mentioned that Lawsonia is the public NGLA.  Has anyone played both and is able to verify this?  Is it really in the same class?

Phil McDade

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 11:58:40 PM »
Dan,

Fantastic job with the write up.  Your passion for Lawsonia is very evident.  And surely it is a fantastic golf course.  As mentioned, the conditioning is quite good with firm fairways and fast greens.

Anyone who gets the chance definitely get up there and play it.

Someone mentioned that Lawsonia is the public NGLA.  Has anyone played both and is able to verify this?  Is it really in the same class?

...paging Shivas and all of his brat slippage glory....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »
I don't wish to leave the impression that I would desire to change Lawsonia in anyway to present that very cool 1914, 5-way to play hole.  But, it would be cool if some archie has a corridor to present and interpret that sometime as a tribute. 

Dan, I don't remember 1 as a par 5, specifically.  If it was so in '59-60, I would say it didn't register that par was all that relavant to a 12 year old kid...  ;D  But, I sure remember many pines alot bigger than that photo.  The pine woods along right side of 9 was relatively mature, with many of those trees a good 15-20ft, I'd guess. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
Dan,

Great descriptions of Lawsonia.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
Dan - GREAT overview of Lawsonia... I hope I get the chance to play there some day. I can see why you are so enamored with Langford.

I have two small negative comments...

1) I wish something could be done about the cart path intruding on the tee shot on 5.

2) I'm completely opposed to the placement of the cart path on 7. There is no way that path cannot come into play for a ball hit to the right. Paths should not have that much influence on a hole!

By the way... the Riverside course at Greenville CC has been reworked by Kris Spence and looks amazing, with green complexes that have some of the features you expected to see on your visit. I'll get over there soon and take some pictures.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
Mike your cart path comment is well taken.  Just brainstorming a little, I'd say that the only way on 4--> 5 would be to bring the path ahead on the left, and have something of a walk-back to the tees.  There is a sort of logical cart parking area far right of the #4 green, and immediately adjacent to the 5 tee.  Then the path has little room to go out from that 5 tee.  The only thing I could think of is have the cart path act as a small pitstop away from the tee on the front left, then immediately cross to the OB line on right, and follow the road.  But, really, there is no cart path after the begining of the crest of the hill on 5.  Carts disperse.  Basically, it isn't all that bad.

On the boxcar hole, the only thing would be to go away from the tee through the native up the far left, and have the path end somewhat above the green complex, forcing cart riders to walk down to the green and even worse, down to where many many balls end up at the bottom of that huge rampart up, some 20' ele.  That would lead to most cart riders risking even more injury that might already happen with folks trying to deal with the steep embankment up to the green from those balls that come up short and short right.  The property line is just right of where you see the cart path, no where to go there.  And, as I stated, the logical most safe way to get to the green, and back to the rear where there is a steep climb to #8 tee as it is, is to go around the big green on bottom right.  But, yes, it is unsightly.  Just not much option...

Dan Moore

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:30 PM »
Mike,

Considering they don't have continuous cart paths at Lawsonia, only some paths around the tee boxes and 7 green, its hard to object too much.  Seven is pretty severe around the green so unless you want tear up fairway where all the water goes we'll have live with that path.  In fact though I can't recall anyone ever hitting the cart path.  The pin position in that photo is way far to right, an infrequent position, so I think it gives the impression folks miss down toward the path more than they actually do.  The most common miss is short into the base of the hill. 

How about #1 as a 465 yd par 5 and #5 as a 445 yd par 4 as on the original plan.  #5 playing from the red tee visible in the first photo would be a very difficult par 4 in my opinion. 

Dan Moore

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:56 PM »
Dan,

Great descriptions of Lawsonia.

BTW folks.  The 1968 photos of Lawsonia are thanks to Brad Anderson who leant me a 1968 copy of The Golf Superintendent Magazine (the GCSAA official magazine) with an article on the upkeep and maintenance of Lawsonia written by their 25 year old superintendent Tom Spaulding.  Tom reported he had planted 250 trees to cut the wind.  Among the interesting tidbits reported by Spaulding; the fairways were mostly creeping red fescue with some bluegrass and the greens were mainly seaside and old german bent grasses with some poa annua.  The tees and fringes were equal amounts of seaside and poa.  He also noted the course was built primarily on sand and did not have any drainage built into the course and didn't need any because of the great natural drainage.  Except for the last few feet and the heads,  Langford's original lines for the irrigation system, then 38 years old, were still being used.  He noted water was stored in a cement 800,000 gallon swimming pool located on a nearby bluff 100 ft above lake level.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:12:04 PM by Dan Moore »

David Stamm

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
Dan, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to produce this thread. One of the best presentations I think this site has ever seen. My gosh I've got to get to this course. It looks absolutely brilliant! What boldness!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
The '68 timeframe is interesting for the tree planting. I would've thought people had been ruining courses much earlier.  ;)

When did golfer's turn into such wimpy wimps, Loathing the wind?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Greg Clark

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
Thanks for the fine effort Dan.  I have only played the course once, but think of it often and clearly remember every hole (always a sign of a great course).  I think the front nine is the better side (that pic looking back from the 6th green is now one of my favorites), but the whole track is so much fun to play.  I would say that when I played it (late June in '06 I believe) the course(particularly the greens) was a little soft.  Tee shots are a little out of balance in favoring the left to right player, but there is enough width to fit a draw in as well.  Can't wait to get back.

I was unaware the tree on 13 (of course I hit it) was no longer there.  How was it lost and when?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back