News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Stanley Thompson clippings from Toronto Star archive
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
I have now found that the Toronto Star has now archived their back issues online and after a search I only found one mention of Mackenzie - he was at Jasper Park Lodge in September 1928 with the British Senior Golfers team and was singing the praises of the Jasper course. I also found quite a few Stanley Thompson references and have copied these. If anyone with a particular interest in Thompson would like me to email copies of these clippings, please email me on neil@golfstrategies.com.au
cheers Neil

the archive's web address is http://pagesofthepast.ca/Default.asp
It is one of the least user friendly newspaper archives I've used as it downloads whole pages rather than articles and so is veeerrrryy slow.

John Emerson

Re: Stanley Thompson clippings from Toronto Star archive
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:19:02 PM »
who is the ST "know it all"?  I have a question about a course of his.  I found some info reading through History of the Dominion Atlantic railway: by Marguerite Woodworth.  It mentions him building a golf course at "The Pines".  Looking for help to find out if this is significant information.  It was built, but is it NLE or NKA something else?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
who is the ST "know it all"?  I have a question about a course of his.  I found some info reading through History of the Dominion Atlantic railway: by Marguerite Woodworth.  It mentions him building a golf course at "The Pines".  Looking for help to find out if this is significant information.  It was built, but is it NLE or NKA something else?

John,

I would guess the golf course being referenced is Digby Pines in Nova Scotia which still exists.  Ian Andrew is probably a good person to ask if you have specific questions about the course.

Tyler

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:37:53 PM »
From the Digby Pines website:  https://www.digbypines.ca/hotel-info/history/#:~:text=1929%3A%20The%20C.P.R%20purchased%20250,his%20visit%20to%20Nova%20Scotia.

Note that the hotel was owned by the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) so that is the railway connection.

I believe that back issues of Canadian Golfer has also been digitized and may be another resource if you are interested.

Beautifully situated overlooking the phenomenal Bay of Fundy, our spectacular Nova Scotia lodging has been welcoming guests since 1929. Since then, we have remained as one of the best places to stay, eat, and golf in Atlantic Canada.

1903: Proprietor H.B. Churchill built a three-story hotel in Digby, Nova Scotia and named it The Pines.[/q]
  • The large three story hotel was built during the spring under the foremanship of Mr. D.F. Young.
  • The Pines was originally situated in the woods, the grounds contained 51 acres and featured all the modern conveniences of the time including electricity and hot and cold water.
  • 1913: Churchill gave up the hotel, the building was then used for WWI officer quarters.
  • The officers stayed in the hotel while the men camped on the grounds.
  • 1917: the Canadian Pacific Railway (C.P.R.) purchased the hotel.
  • 1918: The Pines reopened.
  • 1928: On May 14, the construction of “The New Pines Hotel” began next to the original Pines.
  • 1928: Parsons Ed Contractors was the company for the job. Three cottages had to be torn down to make room for The New Pines.
  • 1928: On June 28, the old Pines opened its doors for the last time, staying open for the summer and closing for good on September 12.
  • 1929: The New Pines Hotel officially opened on June 24.
  • 1929: The C.P.R purchased 250 acres of land and constructed an 18-hole golf course on July 17.
  • 1931: Planned and constructed under the direction of Stanley Thompson, the 18-hole golf course opened for business in the summer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back