News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Willie_Dow

An old golfer - where would he go ??????????
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
Entering the 80's market, and loving Dornach, what have you up to an offer ?  My wife at 79, hits a good shot now and then.

Bob_Huntley

Re: An old golfer - where would he go ??????????
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
Willie,

Where do you live and are you willing travel?

Bob

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:51:00 AM »
Bill.  I hope you are both well and planning for next summer.  I’m guessing you are looking at our side of the pond, and I know you’ve travelled quite a bit so apologies if you’ve already discounted the following. A few suggestions.

North Berwick. Town is a little larger than Dornoch and the course is just perfect and almost as scenic as Dornoch. If you and Bobbie fancy some R&R in Edinburgh it’s only half an hour away on the train.  Muirfield and so many others just a few miles away.

Turnberry.  Break open the piggy bank, it’s worth it. Will be hosting the open and in perfect condition next summer.

Lahinch, why this is often referred to as the St Andrews of Ireland is beyond me. Dornoch is in all ways a much better comparison. Town about the same size and there’s one all world great (hilly) course with sea views and one interesting flatter one.  Interesting scenery to the North and South.

Dublin has great seaside golf within 20mins of the centre although you would need to book in advance. Portmarnock, The Island, Dollymount etc.

Portstewart.  Great seaside resort with 4 excellent courses nearby.  The valley course in Portrush ideal for the two of you. 

Deal.  Two great, and one near great, courses to play and Canterbury only 20 mins away. London 1.5hrs.

Wells Next the Sea. Norfolk. Weather can be idyllic and a real quiet spot 2.5hrs form London.  Wonderful golf at Hunstanton and Brancaster – although they can be hard to get on. 

And the one I keep selling on here (with one taker next year)

Biarritz. 
Better weather and food than any of the above. Day trips to Spain or the Pyrenees with a bunch of good (one great) courses close at hand.  The French play golf with husband and wives together (I assumed all those good looking dames were wives), and many clubs offer a discount rate for partners. The club will match you up and I found a sincere “Bonjour” in a dreadful accent got everyone talking to me in English. The Biarritz club is interesting golf and an easy walk.  Avoid the last (check) week in July as they have a big tournament. Make sure to play Chiberta. Both clubs easy to get on.

"Chill the champagne, pack the pearls, and tune up the Bugatti."

http://travel.nytimes.com/frommers/travel/guides/europe/france/biarritz/frm_biarritz_0659010001.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE5DA133EF930A35753C1A965958260

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?board=1%3baction=display%3bthreadid=21926

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=22527

Wayne, when are we going to see a Feature Interview with Bill? ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:55:16 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:29:29 AM »
Bill

How is life? 

If I recall correctly you would prefer flatish courses or have access to a cart.  If this is the case, Tony is right about Kent with Deal, Sandwich and Princes there.  None are harsh walks, but all have great topographical interest.  Plus, Sandwich is a lovely town and I am told Deal is fine as well.  Plus, plus, Rye and Littlestone are an hour or so away with Rye being a lovely town and nearby Winchelsea being of interest as well.  If you are looking for a characterful course/club in London which is flat while on this trip, then look no further than New Zealand.

If you looking to romance your Mrs, then I would highly recommend Venice.  There is a good course on the Lido at Alberoni- Circolo Golf Venezia.  The club is an excellent place hang out for a day to escape the crowd.  I like to stay on the Lido only to have an excuse to take the vap into Venice - its quick, easy and cheap.  If you choose to hang about Venice for a week or so (highly recommended), a very cool village on the Lido to stay is Malamocco - its pure Italy in a tourista zone (while not far away).  Here is a link to a good pension: 
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.veniceparadise.com/it/location.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvilla%2Bparadiso%252Bmalamocco%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3Dw2p%26pwst%3D1

Also, folks don't realize how other places like Padua are easy to reach from Venice.  There is only one course, but if I were looking to do a combo holiday this is the place. 

Ciao

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:30:27 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 04:19:17 AM »
Tony
Ailsa course at Turnberry closes on 1st of Nov. , and will not open until after the Open Championship .

Willie_Dow

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »
Tony and Sean:  Thanks for the thoughts. It is just what I was looking for, and I've printed it out.  Now I have to figure the best time of year to make the trip.
Tony, it will be difficult to beat our wonderful days with you in northern Scotland.
After the election all things will be GO !!!!!!!!
Willie

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »
Willie

hope all is well with you.  If you go to North Berwick, try The Glebe House.  It gets a mention in Finegan's book (Where Golf is Great).  Andrew Mitchell and I shared a bathroom there at the GCA visit in March 2007 (separate bedrooms guys, just a shared bathroom, but only because Andrew agreed!).  It is a listed Georgian House built in 1780, and furnished accordingly.  The hospitality matches the quality of the building and the furniture.

http://www.glebehouse-nb.co.uk/glebeindex2.php

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:44:38 AM »
Willie

hope all is well with you.  If you go to North Berwick, try The Glebe House.  It gets a mention in Finegan's book (Where Golf is Great).  Andrew Mitchell and I shared a bathroom there at the GCA visit in March 2007 (separate bedrooms guys, just a shared bathroom, but only because Andrew agreed!).  It is a listed Georgian House built in 1780, and furnished accordingly.  The hospitality matches the quality of the building and the furniture.

http://www.glebehouse-nb.co.uk/glebeindex2.php

James B

Willie
I would heartliy endorse James's recommendation of the Glebe House if you choose to go to North Berwick.  Easily the best place I've stayed in the town.  I think you can even get rooms where you don't have to share the bathroom!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
Got a great report on Gil Hanse's work at Castle Stuart's.  Has anyone been there ?

Thank's JB & AM for the info on Glebe.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »
Willie -

I saw the entire Castle Stuart course in May, as it was growing in. The course has opened for limited promotional play over the past month or so and will have a formal opening next June/July.

The site & routing of the course is very impressive. I think it will be very well received.

There are photos at: www.castlestuartgolf.com

My only caution is that it might be a tough walk for you & your wife. My guess is there will be a fair amount of "buggy" usage there.

DT

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
Bill,

Hope all is well with you.

Tony's list is a good one.  All I'd add is that, of the ones I've played, North Berwick and Deal would be the easiest to walk.  Marilyn has played both and enjoyed both (unlike Dornoch where there was too much gorse and too many par 5's for women), so they'd probably be good for Bobbie.

If you end up at North Berwick, I'd suggest staying at Faussetthill House on Main Street in Gullane.  Lovely house and people.  Close to North Berwick.  And there's a bunch of nice courses within a few miles of there.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Bryan.

Maybe I could find some more T. Stewart irons.  Your great form whilest swinging your hickory reminded me of Chapter 29 in Grantland Rice's book "The Bobby Jones Story" titled "T. Stewart".  We had a Sotheby's audience at MGC showing the Jeffery B. Ellis collection prior to that auction.  There was a picture of Bobby Jones twelve club matched iron set by Tom Stewart Jr. being offered at $2,500 - 3,500.  Don't know what it went for.

Somewhat better feel than the Willie Dow hickories, I might add.

Often wondered where in St. Andrews the T. Stewart factory was located.

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:04:49 AM »
Willie,

I just did a trip to Northern Ireland and the Dublin area and we were surprised at all the courses that have buggies if that is important to you. Every course we played except Royal County Down had them, including for example Ballyliffin, Royal Portrush, Baltray, Portmarnock (Old and Links) and The Island.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dave_Miller

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
Entering the 80's market, and loving Dornach, what have you up to an offer ?  My wife at 79, hits a good shot now and then.

Bill:
On my last trip to Ireland all the courses offered carts except Royal County Down and Ardglas both in the North.  However we only played five other courses. 
Hope all is well.
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back