News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Sign of economic times..waterfall pumps shut off
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
In the last two weeks I have played two high end resort/development courses in Georgia and the most obvious sign of the times was that the pumps for the waterfalls on both courses were cut off.....what will go next...
1. expect the bag rack kids to go soon
2. scented towels during the rounds
3. new range balls every few weeks
4. 125 dollar golf shirt

What have I missed? ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Dan Herrmann

Re: Sign of economic times..waterfall pumps shut off
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »
Mike - was that due to H2O issues or the economy?

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:13:59 PM »
they did not want to pay for the power ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:28 PM »
Colbert Hills turned off their waterfalls, save special occaisions years ago.  I think it was a combo deal of electricity and water, since they use city water and pay for it all.

The good news is, they are famous for watering less than other courses in the area - once every fourth day whether it needs it or not. ;)

As for other things to go, I figure towels could be a nice cheap touch for upscale joints.  The funny thing about golf shirts is that the course pays about the same for a $75 polo or $50 Ping shirt.  Its all marketing as to how much they charge.

The other funny thing is that most courses are cutting back the maintenance around the edges - literally - by not edging bunkers, cart paths and other items on the fringes as much as they used to.  I wonder how many people really notice a perfectly edged cart path?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:17:42 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!   ;D

Do you think the towels will be gone, or just the scent?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »
Sadly tee whores will eventually ruin it for the rest of us.  I do love free tees and never take more than 7 or 8 at a time...It makes me sick to see people take gobs and gobs.

JR Potts

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:57 PM »
I really wish I took more gobs of those plastic Butler National tees that they had last year.  I sadly ran out of them last September....and have been longing for more.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »

Well, it's a good thing they decided to save the power money because Drought Level Four which currently applies to the 55 counties covering pretty much the northen 1/3 of the state from Alabama to South Carolina specifically bans:

7)  Using water for ornamental purposes, such as fountains, reflecting
pools, and waterfalls except when necessary to support aquatic life.
 ;D

Since they have turned off the waterfalls and fountains I asume they were not necessary to keep any fish alive--or to save money was fish on the family night buffet last week at those clubs ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:44:30 PM »
Actually, someone told me recently that those gawdawful plastic tees that more and more clubs seem to be handing out as freebies are now all the rage because they are biodegradable.

From my perspective, not only do they suck in terms of function...and form, but they also probably won't decompose for at least 10.000 or more years.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:51:42 PM by MikeCirba »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
I really wish I took more gobs of those plastic Butler National tees that they had last year.  I sadly ran out of them last September....and have been longing for more.

This year Butler had wooden tees varnished in a beautiful dark brown just right to where you could still see the wood grain.  Very unobtrusive to the eye.  Speaking of that I wore my Butler Cup shirt yesterday and my foreman came up and asked me if that course was at Butler University.  Proof once again that nobody cares about the rankings.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »

Well, it's a good thing they decided to save the power money because Drought Level Four which currently applies to the 55 counties covering pretty much the northen 1/3 of the state from Alabama to South Carolina specifically bans:

7)  Using water for ornamental purposes, such as fountains, reflecting
pools, and waterfalls except when necessary to support aquatic life.
 ;D

Since they have turned off the waterfalls and fountains I asume they were not necessary to keep any fish alive--or to save money was fish on the family night buffet last week at those clubs ;D

Chris,
They must have had fish on the buffet because these had been on all year until this week.....
BTW...you know we both know a new TV star....The Big Break will never be the same when the new season opens....

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »
Actually, someone told me recently that those gawdawful plastic tees that more and more clubs seem to be handing out as freebies are now all the rage because they are biodegradable.

From my perspective, not only do they suck in terms of function...and form, but they also probably won't decompose for at least 10.000 or more years.

I actually have one plastic long tee left....and I've used it all summer.  Reduce, reuse and recycle.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
In the last two weeks I have played two high end resort/development courses in Georgia and the most obvious sign of the times was that the pumps for the waterfalls on both courses were cut off.....what will go next...
1. expect the bag rack kids to go soon
3. new range balls every few weeks
4. 125 dollar golf shirt

What have I missed? ;D

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

I can't believe you, you of all people, could overlook the most obvious of club freebes that will soon be eliminated.  All I can do is shake my head on this one.

Drum roll please............

;D ;D ;D
Jim Thompson

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »
Oh no; please tell me they didn't silence that beautiful waterfall to the right of the 14th green at Château Élan!!!!

Oh well. ::)
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:29 AM »

Mike

I was given some of those non-plastic plastic tees.  They are meant to be made out of corn husks or some such thing.  The thing is, they bend when trying to stick them in the hard ground of the UK and it has been a very wet summer.  I think they need to go back to the drawing board on this one. 

I hope scented towels don't disappear just yet cuz I have yet to see this in practice.  Speaking of towels, I was at a sushi joint in Chestnut Hill last spring and I had to ask for my hot towel - say what?  At another place I had to ask for water!  What gives with the service in the US these days or is water a rare article? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Pat Burke

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 03:32:51 AM »
Colbert Hills turned off their waterfalls, save special occaisions years ago.  I think it was a combo deal of electricity and water, since they use city water and pay for it all.

The good news is, they are famous for watering less than other courses in the area - once every fourth day whether it needs it or not. ;)

As for other things to go, I figure towels could be a nice cheap touch for upscale joints.  The funny thing about golf shirts is that the course pays about the same for a $75 polo or $50 Ping shirt.  Its all marketing as to how much they charge.

The other funny thing is that most courses are cutting back the maintenance around the edges - literally - by not edging bunkers, cart paths and other items on the fringes as much as they used to.  I wonder how many people really notice a perfectly edged cart path?

Jeff,
I notice them, but usually only at those times when I am playing a course that has dead spots on the greens and mud/dry spot combo fairways.  Played the fairly new Links at Summerly (Lake Elsinore) last week, and it is an agronomical mess.  Bad fairways, poor definition, and some seriously poor turf conditions on the greens.  They were however, edging the cartpaths the day we played!  That helped a lot :-\

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »
Mike,

Is Chuck going to be an announcer or is he making his golfing comeback ;D

Actually, that's great news--he's perfect for that show.

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
Mike,

Is Chuck going to be an announcer or is he making his golfing comeback ;D

Actually, that's great news--he's perfect for that show.

Chuck is the new host....a Big Break for him....should be great on that show.....

Jm T,
Weinershaven will not be the same without those plastic razors ;D ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back