News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Re: NEW ZEALAND: A Master Class in Bunkering
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »
Deal is MIGHTY... I look forward Friday as the southwesterly is going to blow 20mph

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2011, 04:38:45 AM »
Tom mentions respect because of length.  While New Zealand isn't long, when the course is keen its surprisingly tight for the aggressive player. 

It always a treat to play New Zealand and yesterday was no different.  Take a look at the updated pix.  For sure New Zealand is one of the tigers dressed as a kitten - I always struggle to score.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
After a recent trip to this delightful course without my own camera, i thought I'd bump Sean's thread.

While not a long course, the heather and bunkering still make it quite a challenge. However, the heather appears to be kept pretty young and not too woody, so recovery isn't too difficult, and there aren't many bunkers but those there are, well with the exception of a few that Sean points out, they are all well positioned. Some of the other details of the course are also great, such as the hollows short of the 6th, 13th and 18th holes, making for interesting approaches and recoveries.

But the course isn't especially hilly, and may well be one of the flattest courses I've ever played. But at no point do you start thinking its dull because of this. In fact, being pretty flat, not too long but still a fun challenge, all means I can imagine this would be a great course to play your final years over as an older man...

And finally not forgetting the club itself. A wonderful old clubhouse, with great food and attention to detail, but all in a very understated way. Fantastic stuff!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
NZ has one of the toughest starts I know of on a short course 1-7 includes three par 3s and four solid par 4 holes. Like Rye and Swinley Forest, the New Zealand course proves pure length is not required for a good challenge. Hitting the short stuff is very important as is solid iron play.

NZ used to be dragged down by spongy slow greens, now the greenkeeper has dried out the greens, done plenty of work and the surfaces are more than acceptable. Given the current rate of their improvement in a couple of years the NZ greens will be as good as any of their peer greens.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:33:50 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
Chappers

The last time at NZ I was surprised at how narrow the course plays when F&F.  There are some serious club selection debates which can occur on several tees.  I need to go back again and again and again.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »
Sean you are quite right the fairways are pretty generous and as James stated the heather is kept nice and young and moderately playable. However when the ball runs the fairways play considerably narrower.

NZ would be a wonderful place to play ones twilight years golfing years at. It's flat, short, pretty, a great club but still testing of the players abilities.

Only at NZ would you find a members dog hitching a ride on the marshals/drinks cart. As it was a warm day the driver picked up the tired hound, apparently it's a regular service to members dogs....class!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
Yes, New Zealand IS under the radar - and they want it kept that way. I visited the club some years ago to write an article about it for inclusion in a book. But first I had to convince the secretary that I wasn't going to open the floodgates to visitors. I convinced him. They are not overwhelmed by unwanted visitors and I had a very pleasant afternoon wandering the fairways and thoroughly amiable chat with the secretary afterwards. That precious ethos was not damaged.

Sean_A

Re: NEW ZEALAND GC: A Master Class in Bunkering
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:23 AM »
Brian

Those courses weren't in any particular order.  The list hasn't changed much

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:34:49 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
Swinley better than Berkshire Red?  Unlike you to be so orthodox.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Mark

I haven't seen Berkshire Red in a long time so I discount that I have ever seen it.  The Red is high on my list to see as is Walton Heath Old, but it still pains me to pay over a 100 quid - maybe one day. 

Ciao 

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 04:15:53 AM »
Brian

New Zealand is something apart isn't it?  As Richard pointed out, the conditioning is improving.  While it was far from bone dry Friday, I didn't have any mud/dirt on me troozers and that is the acid test for winter golf.  That is good going with the rain we have had. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:41:51 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »
Has it really been five years since this thread was re-visited?  See the updated tour with some pix I found lost in the vaults.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36467.msg745045.html#msg745045

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:39:15 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2019, 06:40:18 AM »
So F Pont did some work to New Zealand last winter...anyone see the results? 

Ciao

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »
Only on Facebook so far. Shaped by Conor Walsh and his crew. Looks good from photos
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Only on Facebook so far. Shaped by Conor Walsh and his crew. Looks good from photos

Adam

I am quite surprised the work hasn't received more ink.  Do you know if pushing fairways out is part of the work?

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2021, 06:27:22 AM »
Does anyone have updates on the work at NZ?

Ciao

Tom_Doak

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »
If the course is as good as you say, Sean, why are they doing anything to it?

Sean_A

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »

I think they did bunker work, but I was hoping that trees were the bigger focus. Haven't heard.

Ciao

James Reader

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2021, 12:07:38 PM »

I think they did bunker work, but I was hoping that trees were the bigger focus. Haven't heard.

Ciao

CDP have been posting regular updates on Twitter, Sean.  You’ll be pleased to see there has been a lot of tree work.

https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1458134781594521603?s=21
https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1457816864608894987?s=21
https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1453046394768461827?s=21

I was due to play there for the first time a few months ago but it didn’t come off.  It’s high on my wish list for 2022.

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2021, 02:41:07 AM »

Ciao

CDP have been posting regular updates on Twitter, Sean.  You’ll be pleased to see there has been a lot of tree work.

https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1458134781594521603?s=21
https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1457816864608894987?s=21
https://twitter.com/cdpgolf1/status/1453046394768461827?s=21

I was due to play there for the first time a few months ago but it didn’t come off.  It’s high on my wish list for 2022.

Thanks! The photos don't depict that much change. Just a bit of sprucing up. Any more talk of tree removal?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back