News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Peconic CC
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:07 AM »
A June 14, 1894 article in the NY Times discusses a new golf course opening with the clubhouse being the former Shinnecock Inn.  I don't believe the author literally means that the course overlooks the ocean (and thus the south shore of Shinnecock Bay) and Southampton (a few miles away).  It may suggest with the proximity to the Shinnecock Inn that the course could have been located on or very near the grounds of the NGLA.

I cannot find additional information on the course.  It didn't make it into the 1909 booklet on golf courses on Long Island.  Any ideas?  Pat thinks it may have been located near the Shinnecock Canal.  Though I am not sure where it was, at this point I cannot agree.

Any ideas?

wsmorrison

Re: Peconic CC
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
Note, where it says the course is "two miles distant," the length of the courses at that time were referred to in those terms.  So I guess the course measured a total of 3500 yards or so.  I don't know how many holes it had.

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:48 AM »
     Wayno:

Interesting stuff.

Shinnecock Bay was in fact a bay until the hurricane of '38 so a steamer to Greenport would have been feasible by using the Shinnecock Canal which was built at almost the same time period as Peconic CC was being formed.

Maybe Mr. Collier and friends were trying to take advantage of the creation of this new passageway between Shinnecock Bay and Peconic Bay to further capitalize on the area as being THE summer retreat for weary city folk.

With the formation of Shinnecock Hills Golf Club also coming at the same time I'm sure the place was abuzz.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:42:03 AM »
     Wayno:

Is it possible that there was some affiliation or reciprocity between the Peconic Country Club and Shinnecock Hills Golf Club???

BECAUSE...........the south shore of Shinnecock Bay happens to be almost EXACTLY two miles from where Shinnecock was originally layed out.  :o
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:44:59 AM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »
Wayne -

I'll try to post bits of it later on, but I was reading an article from 1898 that talked about how, in America, links/seas-side courses were coming back into fashion after a period when inland courses were all the rage -- and it references sea-side courses along the eastern seaboard, but I don't remember any mention of Peconic CC in that list.  It also mentions about a dozen courses I've never heard of (though others may have) so I don't know what to make of it....

Peter  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:07:13 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Wayne,
I they could be referring to the course they were using as being two miles away, not two miles long. While helping Anthony Pioppi find some of the old courses in Ct. I came across similar copy, only to find that many of these 'CC's' from that era were just that, clubs organized without real estate.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
A couple of links to 2 good articles, the first from 1898 that covers courses on the Atlantic seaboard, and the second from 1899, focusing on Long Island courses. Hope these work, I haven't tried including links before

Peter

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_32/outXXXII05/outXXXII05j.pdf

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_34/outXXXIV06/outXXXIV06m.pdf

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
Here's an article which seems to say that Peconic Country club and Monmouth County Hunt Club will be 'partying down' on the Shinnecock Hills.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C03E0DE143EEF33A25751C0A96F9C94659ED7CF&oref=slogin

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B04EFDC1039E033A2575AC0A9609C94649ED7CF

Wayne,
This one should clear up the issue. It states the PCC dissolved in 1895

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »
Thank you to all for digging into the archives.  I appreciate you taking the time.
Regards,
Wayne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back