News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Denver golf
« on: April 06, 2003, 02:50:07 PM »
I will be in Denver June 7-8 and would like recommendations for golf in the area. Also, I would love to meet some of the GCA guys in the area if you are available.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JakaB

Re: Denver golf
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 02:53:38 PM »
Ed,

Play Murphy Creek and if you don't like it I will mail you a check for your green fees.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi Ed,

Glad to hear you're headed out this way. I'll be happy to show you around if it works schedule-wise, and will give you the lowdown too. Feel free to instant message me or reply here.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 05:15:43 PM »
Jaka,
   It is on my list, its nice to know theres some brotherly love in the family.

Doug,
   If there are some courses you think I should see and weekdays would be better , let me know and I'll set up my flights a little differently. Thanks for the offer for giving me the lowdown and I'll be in touch.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 10:41:09 PM »
If your up for an hour ride into the mountains, I could show you some FUN mountain golf ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 11:04:36 PM »
Hi Ed,
  I'll second the recommendation of Murphy Creek, and might also recommend Riverdale Dunes.  Murphy Creek was hit hard by the drought last year, but the layout is first-rate.  Let me know if you have room in your 4somes.  I'd love to get together for a few rounds.

Brad Swanson

redanman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 08:16:03 AM »
Don't waste your time in the mountains unless all you want is slow play, long drives and mountain scenery. No "Mountain course" is really worth the trip.  Long DRIVES and long drives.  Best "Mountain Course" is probably Ridge at Castle Pines and it is on the front range and is more like $140.  

Lots worth playing on the front range for $35 or less.

Big sleeper, no guarantee about the condition and I don't know the latest on the housing, but in addition to Riverdale Dunes and Murphy Creek, go to Legacy Ridge, a course for all you Art Hills bashers (Keith Foster probably actually did the course.)  A really good quality set of greens, too.

IM me where you are staying and I'll give you more specific recommendations as Denver is a BIG place.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 08:23:50 AM »
Brad,
  I'll keep you in mind and let you know when and where we will play as I figure out what I will do.

comtngolf,
   I'll have two days to golf and Murphy Creek is looking like one of them, but if I don't have to drive too far anything is possible.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 08:37:39 AM »
Ed,

As the serious student of gca that you are, Cherry Hills has to be on your list if you can get on and haven't played it.  If you haven't had a chance to play a Jeff Brauer design, Canterbury (sp) is just south and east of Denver, moderately priced, and fun to play.  Further south north of Colorado Springs, the USAF Academy's Blue course is a very good early RTJ course design.  I am not a big fan of the Broadmoor courses in Colorado Springs.  

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 08:44:57 AM »
Lou,
 Thanks for the advice and I'll see what falls into place. I'm glad there are a few guys in the area to hook up with, so I'm sure we'll have some fun and see some great architecture.

What makes Cherry Hills a must see in your opinion? I would like to see it, but am curious what your thoughts are.
I hope you are feeling better and look forward to play a round together one of these days.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 08:48:17 AM »
Ed:

Murphy Creek
Must play in Denver.  Not as pure as Wild Horse as a few water lined holes interrupt the rythym.  

The Golf Club at Beardance
A new course just south of Castle Rock.  It is a beautiful tree lined property with dramatic elevation changes.  Unique in that it was architecture by committee.  Dick Phelps did the original routing, but the final design was the work of the staff that currently oversees the course.  This gives you the very unique opportunity to discuss the design with the designers in the pro shop after the round!  The greens were a little severe, and have been modified over the winter.  That said, I think it is also a must see along the front range.

The Ridge at Castle Pines North
Tom Wieskopf design.  Front 9 plays through the more exposed terrain, while the back plays through the trees and makes good use of some dramatic elevation changes.  Typical Wieskopf bunkering and huge green complexes.  

If conditions have improved at Canterbury I would go along with Lou's opinion, but still below the above three.  I have always liked the layout, however it was opened way too soon, and has always been in rough shape on my visits.  

I would be happy to hook up with you for a round if it works out from a scheduling standpoint.  E-mail me if you want my opinion on any of the other courses you are considering in the area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 08:49:16 AM »
Ed, I agree with redanman (we seem to be doing this frequently!) and I would urge you to drive just south of Denver to the Castle Pines area (Larkspur) and play The Golf Club at Bear Dance -- right off I-25 and about 45-60 minutes south of Denver.

The course is relatively new and I had the good fortune to play it during my recent trek to Colorado last year. In fact -- I believe it's the best public course I've played in the state and I've played a good share of the others already mentioned. I also thing you'll enjoy Murphy's Creek as previously stated.

Enjoy ... ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 09:32:42 AM »
Ed,

I have not played Cherry Hills, and only know the course through reputation and television.  As you probably know, it is a Flynn design built in the 1920s, not very long, but providing many options.  I am not a big fan of mountain golf, but I've been told by people who've played it, that it is more of a parkland course (the ball does fly further, but the greens don't require years of experience to figure them out).  Perhaps Redanman or others can opine on Cherry Hills from personal experience.

Re:  Canterbury, my experience in the Denver area is limited, so there could very well be a number of superior courses in the area.  I did play Canterbury and had a wonderful time there.  My reason for mentioning it here is that many on this site have not had an opportunity to play a Jeff Brauer course, and if you are in the area, this may be one that exposes you to his work.  For those travelling through Dallas, Jeff's Cowboys Club is but a few minutes from the airport and well worth extending the itinerary.

Thanks for your well wishes.  I actually hit a bucket of balls yesterday, and am going to see my hapless Rangers play on Wednesday.      

redanman

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 11:37:17 AM »
Lou,  I was just going to post on Cherry Hills.

On the whole, other than nostalgia, there is not much I would really tell anyone to go and play Cherry Hills because they have to see it.  Coming from out of state however, relly helps your chances of playing as Colorado residents have pretty severe limitations on guest status.  I actually had a member tell me to wear my CalClub stuff and hang my old bag tag one time so that he could invite me and another Colorado resident at the same time. :o

The terrain is fairly uninteresting, #5, # 9, #11, #14, #16 and #18 are reasonably interesting holes.  There are as many interesting holes  The Country Club at Castle Pines, arguably. It benefits greatly on all the rating lists because of a Tradition bonus as described by Tom Doak in another thread.  A great example of such. However, the AP plaque on the first tee is admittedly pretty cool.

You just won't see anything unique to the world of architecture and Colorado is a beautiful state to see some great vistas.  THey are better at Legacy Ridge, Ute Creek, maybe Riverdale and definitely all 3 Castle Pines courses and Sanctuary than at Cherry Hills.

Depends on what you want out of the trip.  I would never dissuade one from seeing Cherry Hills, jut don't expect much overwhelming architecture.

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 12:58:17 PM »
Since I will be returning from Wildhorse and Sand Hills, what in the Denver area compares to Wildhorse in terms of architecture. Should I play another round at Wildhorse? I will play at least one day in the Denver area just to meet the guys above. Thoughts?

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 01:02:28 PM »
Ed:

Meeting people is always an admirable goal.  I'd say don't skip any potential meetings for any course.  So I'd say make that top priority, and then if time allows or if that's not gonna work, hell yes play more at Wild Horse... or even better, get yourself over to Ogalala and play Bayside, the other Axeland/Proctor course in the area.   It is supposed to be damn near as great as Wild Horse.

TH

Brad Swanson

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 01:37:08 PM »
Ed,
   Having sampled Wild Horse last fall, I'd say that Murphy Creek (at least the first 12 holes) compares nicely with Wild Horse in terms of architecture.  A couple of water hazards (for reclaim purposes I'm sure) stick out on the inward 6 holes, but the first 12 are really solid holes (alot of variety).
   I agree with Redanman about the Ridge at Castle Pines North as well.  Its my favorite front range course, and can be played for $65 during the week after 3:00 (as a financially strapped postdoctoral research fellow, I am probably most qualified to tell you what the best bargains are in the Denver metro area)  ;)
   Legacy Ridge is nice (and you have quite a few holes where houses can serve to keep your ball in play). 8)  I wouldn't put it above Murphy Creek (or Riverdale Dunes for that matter) in that $$$ range.
   I've heard good things about Bear Dance, but I have also heard it isn't in the best of shape.  They couldn't have had a worse year for an inagural season last summer, considering that it was the driest on record.

Keep in touch,
Brad Swanson

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 11:38:57 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. The trip is coming up and I am looking forward to meeting some of you guys. I will be in town to golf on Jun 7 & 8. I want to play Murphy Creek and depending on who can make it out to play we can choose another course for the other day. Doug Wright is setting something up for Jun 3, and we should know soon. Doug mentioned Vista Ridge by Morrish as a possible, has anyone played it yet?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back