News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The golf courses of the "historically Jewish clubs"
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
It appears that Greenacres in Chicago was originally established in the early 1920s as Illinois CC, designed by Tillinghast. That club did not survive the Depression and WWII and folded. Greenacres was formed and bought the club and changed the name. I doubt it was founded as a " HJC"in the 1920s but morphed into one when it was purchased:

http://www.tillinghast.net/whatsnewgreen.shtml

Alpine in NJ, another Tillinghast gem, opened in 1928 and was founded by " The Forty Millionaires" and was purchased by members in 1960. Again,according to some members,  I doubt it was founded as a " HJC" but morphed into one after its purchase:

http://www.alpinecc.org/story
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kevin Robinson

« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »
Sorry, but i neither buy that or agree. Jews are the most liberal, accepting group on the planet. Jews will be delighted to accept any qualified member and probably hold a higher than for accepted Jews that know.

Cary, I see that you posted this quite a while back, and I just saw it, hence the long-delayed response.
In my early career as a club professional, I worked at two very private facilities within a few years of each other - one an HJC and the other a heralded WASP-ish club (not Yeamans Hall). Being a relative hayseed from the mountains of Western North Carolina, I was blissfully unaware of the stereotypes and uninformed assumptions people were likely to make in the late 90's. There were absolutely differences and quirks unique to the memberships at both facilities (I had never seen, let alone eaten, a beef tongue - nor a cheese blintz) but I can look back and state without hesitation that my experience in dealing with the respective memberships were completely different. At the WASP club, if a member never took the time to learn my name or anything about me, it was simply understood that they were my better, and I would generally only engage in service-related conversation. On the other hand, I found the Jewish club to be incredibly welcoming and most of the membership genuinely interested in getting to know the staff. In fact, getting invited into the clubhouse to eat beef tongue and blintzes (or their relative equivalent) would simply never have happened at that particular WASPY club. I was also very intrigued to learn that Robinson, especially if you are Polish, is a Jewish name...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:44:50 AM by Kevin Robinson »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
I am reviving this thread after watching some golf at Detroit GC on TV this past weekend. Other than Franklin Hills, well known and highly rated, there are Knollwood and Tam O'Shanter as " HJC" in the Detroit area. Let's hear comments about these 2 courses:

Knollwood, in West Bloomfield,  is a 1925 Ross design:

https://www.knollwoodcountryclub.net/Life_at_the_Club

Tam O'Shanter ,in West Bloomfield, is a 1926 or 1929 design by Alison

https://www.tamoshantercc.org/

History:
https://www.tamoshantercc.org/about-us/history
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:19:06 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Greg Hohman

« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2022, 10:15:55 PM »
Steve,

Relying on the little gray cells and have not gone through the pages of previous posts: Did Tam O’Shanter host UGA events?

greg
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:18:08 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »
Steve, I played Franklin Hills last summer. I thought it was exceptional. I loved the rolling terrain, the green complexes and the greens themselves. Because it is close to Oakland Hills the terrain is similar. It also might be the best conditioned course I've ever played. The course played fast and firm and the thread count in the fairways was extraordinary. The lies were tight but there was also grass underneath the ball. Sometimes fairways have tight lies but there is only a little bit of grass before you hit dirt. I loved the place.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
Oakdale, an HJC club in Toronto, will be hosting the Canadian Open next year and again in 2026. The original nine holes at the course were designed by Stanley Thompson and Robbie Robinson added another nine in 1957.  There is also a third nine.  The course was recently renovated by Ian Andrew.,

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2022, 11:03:37 AM »
Steve: 

Knollwood is NOT a Ross, but by (Arthur?) Ham.  He also did the CC of jackson (MI).  Ham was a super for Ross at some point, but I'm not knowledgable re that aspect of his career.  See David Harshbargers Knollwood thread down this list. I made some Knollwood/Jackson comments there. 

Just fyi I have Alison at Tam as early as 1925 with Hagen's takeover and remodeling of the club.  Hagen knew his Colt from his Alison and it's not surprising he would get the C&A firm out of Detroit to do the work.  The latest I have Alison at Tam is 1929.  Great property with an excellent routing.

Anthony

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
Sorry, but i neither buy that or agree. Jews are the most liberal, accepting group on the planet. Jews will be delighted to accept any qualified member and probably hold a higher than for accepted Jews that know.

Cary, I see that you posted this quite a while back, and I just saw it, hence the long-delayed response.
In my early career as a club professional, I worked at two very private facilities within a few years of each other - one an HJC and the other a heralded WASP-ish club (not Yeamans Hall). Being a relative hayseed from the mountains of Western North Carolina, I was blissfully unaware of the stereotypes and uninformed assumptions people were likely to make in the late 90's. There were absolutely differences and quirks unique to the memberships at both facilities (I had never seen, let alone eaten, a beef tongue - nor a cheese blintz) but I can look back and state without hesitation that my experience in dealing with the respective memberships were completely different. At the WASP club, if a member never took the time to learn my name or anything about me, it was simply understood that they were my better, and I would generally only engage in service-related conversation. On the other hand, I found the Jewish club to be incredibly welcoming and most of the membership genuinely interested in getting to know the staff. In fact, getting invited into the clubhouse to eat beef tongue and blintzes (or their relative equivalent) would simply never have happened at that particular WASPY club. I was also very intrigued to learn that Robinson, especially if you are Polish, is a Jewish name...

This post killed the thread a few years ago. Does it stand up?

mike_malone

« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2022, 11:33:25 AM »
I played Quaker Ridge last week and loved it. While I was playing it I couldn’t find any Jewish design influences.
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2022, 02:19:45 PM »
I played Quaker Ridge last week and loved it. While I was playing it I couldn’t find any Jewish design influences.

Now that's funny.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »
What's so funny about it? Not many Jewish golf architects around these days. Maybe Rolling Green and Concord should expand their horizons.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2022, 08:26:45 PM »

That's a pathetic statement.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

mike_malone

« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2022, 10:04:36 PM »

That's a pathetic statement.

Steve,

You may have missed my point. I don’t think of Jewish clubs. I think of golf clubs.
Once you’re on the course it’s equality as it should be. [size=78%] [/size]
AKA Mayday

Steve Lapper

« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2022, 06:00:24 AM »
Mike,

I well understand your point, however it is made with absolute ignorance or insinuation, whether it was your intent or not, e.g. pathetic. I won't be wavering from that.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2022, 07:16:06 AM »
   Mike has his flaws; prejudice isn’t one of them. I took the post to be a not very successful attempt at humor - something I can empathize with.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:58:49 PM by Jim_Coleman »

archie_struthers

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2022, 08:37:25 AM »
 8)

Woodcrest CC in Cherry Hill, NJ was established as a Jewish Club in 1929. Architect William Flynn. Neat golf course on a small footprint with some fantastic holes. A bit of a shoehorn but not many better than Flynn, the "Nature Faker" who made it work.

Not in top 100 by any means but lots of fun and requires some strategy and wedge play to shoot a score!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
   Philmont is another historically Jewish Philadelphia course. Once a very fancy German Jewish membership (a la Quaker Ridge), it has fallen on hard times.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:24:20 AM by Jim_Coleman »

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2022, 02:10:07 PM »
What's so funny about it? Not many Jewish golf architects around these days. Maybe Rolling Green and Concord should expand their horizons.

Knowing that Mayday is a knucklehead and he just proved it. And our appetite at Concord  is wide open. Even to a Catholic boy with some Jewish blood. Stop by and i can prove it.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #244 on: August 03, 2022, 02:32:19 PM »
What was the first great club to admit Irish Catholics? Did they ever build their own or just take places over?

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #245 on: August 03, 2022, 08:41:30 PM »
I am reviving this thread after watching some golf at Detroit GC on TV this past weekend. Other than Franklin Hills, well known and highly rated, there are Knollwood and Tam O'Shanter as " HJC" in the Detroit area. Let's hear comments about these 2 courses:

Knollwood, in West Bloomfield,  is a 1925 Ross design:

https://www.knollwoodcountryclub.net/Life_at_the_Club

Tam O'Shanter ,in West Bloomfield, is a 1926 or 1929 design by Alison

https://www.tamoshantercc.org/

History:
https://www.tamoshantercc.org/about-us/history

Tam O' Shanter and Knollwood have hosted the golf events for the JCC Maccabi Games (for Jewish kids ages 12-16 from across the US, Canada and approximately a dozen other countries) when Detroit was the host city.   Here's a link to photos of Tam O'Shanter from the 2014 event   [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157646374967467[/size]

Tim Leahy

« Reply #246 on: August 03, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »
What was the first great club to admit Irish Catholics? Did they ever build their own or just take places over?
Notre Dame football club. They even changed the team name from the Catholics in the 1800's to the Fighting Irish in 1927. ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:05:54 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2022, 01:45:06 PM »
Re: Knollwood from 2012

Jewish Country Clubs Still Alive and Well
By Rabbi Jason Miller

https://rabbijason.com/jewish-country-clubs-still-alive-and-well/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:47:44 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2022, 02:23:58 PM »

By Rabbi Jason Miller

I watched episode 1 of Family Ties as suggested. Some good jokes, mostly at the expense of women.

Mike Schott

« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »

By Rabbi Jason Miller

Nice article. My late father was heavily involved in the ADL and was friends with Dick Lobenthal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back