News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re: The golf courses of the "historically Jewish clubs"
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 01:43:11 AM »
Now Mike Golden's photo shows EXACTLY what i'd like to see out there!

So, there's this golf course across the street...    ;D

Pat Burke

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:43 AM »
It would be a big mistake to not mention the course at Del Boca Vista, Phase 2, an original design of Morty Seinfeld and Cosmo Kramer.  It not only has an interesting version of the Biarritz but also holes such as a Capestein, Alpsberg, Redanowitz and the Schmear.  Interestingly enough, Caddies are referred to as 'Schleppers'-has anyone played there recently?

;D

Didn't Cosmo make a hole in one off the coast of del boca?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
Pat,

No, Kramer's "hole in one" was not at Del Boca Vista but rather at Rockaway beach:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZS2hwAuD8
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
I used to caddy at Brentwood in LA on weekends in the 80's and I thought it was interesting that Ernie Banks(let's play two) was a member there.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Gerry B

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
the suburban club outside baltimore (pikesville, md)- i was told that it is one of the oldest jewish clubs in the us - founded in 1895 - golf course at the latest opened in 1900.  tillinghast is credited as the architect - must have been a major re design.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »
Sunningdale CC in Scarsdale, NY was originally designed by Seth Raynor (opened for play, 1918). 

Full disclosure: the membership either did not like or understand "the greatest holes of the British Isles" concept and brought in Walter Travis soon thereafter.

...a bit sad.

Does anyone know if Raynor built any other golf course at clubs that were predominantly Jewish?

Calling Uncle George !

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for posting about Sunningdale, one of the more important clubs of this genre.

Sunningdale was founded in 1913 and acquired the second home of Siwanoy, a 9 holer designed by Willie Dunn. The club later moved to their present location to build their 18 hole course designed by Raynor. I presume Tillinghast did his work after Travis.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

ChipOat

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »
O don't know what Inwood was or is re: its membership, but the golf course is decidedly a hidden gem.

It's been mentioned before on GCA by those of us who know it (had its own thread a while back and merited an Aerial of the Day, as well), but it's always worth another promo, IMO.

A Herbert Strong original (I think Tom Doak did the restoration), Brad Klein caddied there as a teenager and knows it well.

I don't know how to find the link to the thread or the AOD, but they're both worth seeing if someone can resurrect them.

Engineers has also had a thread and an AOD; also a Herbert Strong.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:21:08 PM by chipoat »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
I understand Mike DeVries is doing some work at Sunningdale.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
As we speak, Mike DeVries and (Grandpa) Joe Hancock, along with those fine gentlemen from Hawk Shaw, are building - actually reestablishing - an "Alps" hole green down in a hollow behind our existing 6th green. Our 6th hole, which was 395 yards in 1923, and which plays 370 yards today, will be a stout 440 yards when finished.

Sunningdale's golf culture is such that our members are chomping at the bit to launch 3-irons towards a visually obscured green!  ;D  :'(   

...and if our members don't get it, at least you guys will! (I think they will, by the way.)

Mike will be renovating holes 4- 8 at Sunningdale this fall, with our 5th,  6th and 8th greens essentially being rebuilt from scratch.

The irigation work is being done by Tanto Irrigation - Bill Bertels.

Very exciting indeed!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

Mike will be renovating holes 4- 8 at Sunningdale this fall, with our 5th,  6th and 8th greens essentially being rebuilt from scratch.

Mike,

Why specifically these holes and not others? I don't know the course. Are those Raynor or Tilly holes? Sounds like a similar situation to Sleepy Hollow before the recent work there?

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
Mike,

The routing we play today is still pretty much Raynor's. Our 12th hole (drop-shot, par-3) was built by Tillinghast to accomodate out pool, but at the expense of the reverse Redan, which was combined with the old 18th to make room (also done by AWT). Make sense?

We're doing those holes because of their proximity to one another. This is year two of our renovation. The balance will take place over the next two (all else being equal!).

Sleepy's was done in two years, I believe. But our decision to use Hawk Shaw was based, at least in part, on their Green Chair's very positive comments.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
Bump

Having recently played Sunningdale, I will agree that the work done by DeVries is outstanding and that the course should get more attention from raters.

Interesting question: Was Atlantic GC in the Hamptons the last of the clubs of this genre?

Any more additions to this list? How about Oakwood(Ross,1905?) in Cleveland? www.oakwoodclub.org

Jason Walker

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
Steve-

Just curious--since this thread made its way back...

Why would Meadowbrook be included here?  My father was a member there back in the early 80's, don't recall anything solid/spectacular about the place.  And to further my reminiscing, I believe I finished T-3 in 1984 in the 11-under in some sort of state tournament there (can't remember the name).

Bill,

Alpine is one of those clubs that was not founded as "Jewish club" but should have been included in my NJ listings.

Other clubs on the list are:

Brynwood in Milwaukee
Highland in Omaha
Meadowbrook in Tulsa

and more...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
Did Inwood really have concerts by famous singers?  If so, wow - what a different era.

I loved the Jewish club in my hometown (this club was in Amherst NY) - I used to sneak on during "caddy days" ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:14 PM »
Jason,

It is my understanding that Meadowbrook in Tulsa was founded as a "Jewish club" around 1960:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_5_53/ai_84454555/

Jason Walker

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:57 PM »
Steve-
Wow...what a great article!  Just goes to show you that as a young child (for me, 7-12) you just don't pay attention to that stuff.  In fact, still don't, but having really grown up in Atlanta and spent my post-college years in Philly (and dated a failry prominent Jewish girl) I've been fascinated by the cultural history of both areas.  My family moved to Tulsa in 1980 and moved to Atlanta in 1985....never had a clue about the background at Meadowbrook...Just knew I liked the golf course and loved the pool as a young kid.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:44 PM »
Jason,

Jay Friedman, mentioned in the article as a child prodigy, was the long time pro at Meadowlands in suburban Philadelpha until about 5 years ago. His son played at U of Arizona and was on some mini tours.

Jason Walker

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 11:52:57 PM »
Good stuff...familiar with Meadowlands as said Jewish girl's family from my earlier post were members there.  Even better, I love this quote from Jay Friedman: 

22 or 23 years old, I wanted to go to bars, meet women, have a good time."It's not that I didn't practice or work at the game. It's just that I wasn't mentally prepared. I didn't pursue it the way I should have.

Could apply to just about every male in the US in some form or fashion!

As an outsider to this area (moved to Philly in 1999, Haddonfield in 2007) I've been absolutely fascinated with the cultural evolution here....something new to a guy from south!  The term 'historically Jewish club" had zero meaning to me, even though I was , growing up, very familiar with the Standard Club in ATL....just never occurred to me I guess?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »
Jason,

Take a look at The Standard Club's history:

https://standardclub.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=54996

SPDB

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
I think Fenway Golf Club should be included in this list.

Jason Walker

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
Steve-
Good stuff--was pretty familiar already since but definitely a good read.  When I was a kid working at the ATL Athletic Club and Golf Club of GA considering a career in the golf biz we would jump over and play the course from time to time.  As I mentioned, it's really been fascinating for me to learn about a lot of the histories of clubs both in ATL and PHL as there is so much there.  As sad as it is, when i was in ATL it was essentially black or white and that was it--and I think thankfully that has changed considerably since then. 

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 12:36:23 AM »
For what it is worth, I worked out a history of greenkeepers in the Chicago market, and of the six greenkeepers to work more than 40 years at one club, four were from the Jewish clubs. I might also add that those clubs were among the best clubs when you consider the quality of the golf experience.

Jim Carrigan

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
From what I understand Wellshire Golf Course (Denver muni / Ross 1926) was originally a private Jewish club.

http://www.cityofdenvergolf.com/wellshire.htm

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
Speaking of Denver, I previously mentioned Green Gables CC. Any one have any comments about this Arthur Hills course?

www.greengablescc.org

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back