News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: The golf courses of the "historically Jewish clubs"
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
I just played Shackmaxon today... this one belongs on the list.

Also: Century (I heard a story about how it was founded by 100 jews who couldn't get into one of the neighboring clubs!) and Atlantic

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
Jaeger,

Century was the first such club, Shackamaxon was not founded as a "Jewish club" but evolved into one as have others mentioned in this thread such as Engineers and Seawane and I'm still waiting for confirmation on Atlantic. All of these clubs have been mentioned in prior posts in this thread.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Nugent

« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2009, 01:35:11 AM »
I think Meadowbrook Country Club in the St. Louis suburbs used to be Jewish. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »
After playing Quaker Ridge in early October and notwithstanding its recent drop in GD's rankings, it is obviously still number one on this list of courses.

I haven't received any info about whether Atlantic belongs on this list.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Alex Miller

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:38:50 PM by Alex Miller »

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »
Lake Merced Country Club in San Francisco, CA is one of note as well--but was hacked by Rees Jones' firm (IMHO).

I do need to play it again, however....

That being said, I would have loved to play the Mackenzie routing/design back in the 30s and 40s....

Jed,

What is it that Rees Jones did that displeases you?

What was his remit? Did he ignore the requests of his clients? As I have heard, it was  some of the younger members of the club that decided to toughen it up. Do tell me if I am wrong.

Bob

Bob,

It's not so much as to what he did there that displeases me (I think the course is a fine, fair test of golf) but rather displeases my "eye". I can tell that the shape was taken out of the greens and bunkers by a single play, and the "old timey-ness" and classic feel were thusly pulled out.

This was accomplished by (seemingly on my one view around the property) "reesing" up the bunkers (sharpening up edges, taking out "wildness", deepening them), pushing up the greens, etc.

Jed, I'm puzzled by something.
If you only saw the course once, after Rees's work, how do you know what existed, architecturally, prior to Rees's work, and how  then can you make a post-Rees qualitative analysis ?
[/size]

I have no problem with his lengthening of the course--but the greensites--which you can see originally were fantastic (post Lock/done by mackenzie) and this has been lost.

How can you see MacKenzie's original work, or anyone's work, subsequent to Rees's work ?
[/size]

My take on it was that years of neglect and "average" club maintenance (and undoubtedly by the work of Robert Muir Graves!)  practices probably lost most of the mackenzie that was there anyhow--and this necessitated the re-do.

If "most" of MacKenzie's work was "lost" prior to Rees's work, why blame Rees, and if it was lost, why do you say, two paragraphs above, "which you can see originally were fantastic"  How could you see the original work, if as you say, most of it was lost prior to Rees's work ?

You're contradicting yourself !
[/size]

While I think it's a great option, and a place I could play (and would play) whenever, just that I think that the club's location/site and layout lend itself to a more "classic" approach.

Then how did MacKenzie's work get altered and lost prior to Rees's arrival ?
[/size]

Regarding the younger members wanting to toughen it up, I played unaccompanied the visit I had there, on a reciprocal, so I can't speak to that aspect of your query.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:09:07 AM by Patrick_Mucci_Jr »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2009, 09:56:38 AM »
I don't know if this club has been mentioned previously in this thread, but the Geoff Cornish--designed Crestview Country Club in Agawam, MA (a suburb of Springfield) was 100% Jewish at inception.  Now it's more like 25---35%.  The course is pleasant, nothing fantastic, and served as the home of an LPGA event for 3 years in the middle '90s.

Jud_T

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
Don't know if it's been discussed here but Green Acres in Chicago is actually the lost Tillinghast Illinois Golf Club that went under in the depression. See attached:

http://www.tillinghast.net/cms/node/268

While the course is very hemmed in and needs a serious tree removal program, it does boast some of the best conditioned greens and bunkers in the area...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:24 AM »
Don't know if it's been discussed here but Green Acres in Chicago is actually the lost Tillinghast Illinois Golf Club that went under in the depression. See attached:

http://www.tillinghast.net/cms/node/268

While the course is very hemmed in and needs a serious tree removal program, it does boast some of the best conditioned greens and bunkers in the area...

I think I knew that Green Acres used to be Illinois Golf Club...but I always thought that it was designed by Joseph Roseman. Perhaps it was only visited by Tillinghast on his cross-country club tour?
H.P.S.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »
Pat & Jud,

Tilly designed the Illinois Golf Club in the early 1920's. He lists it in a 1925 advertising brochure as an 18-hole original design. He also wrote about meeting up with the "Farmer who sold his property to the club. He was an elderly man and apparently used to following the plough all his life... 'I suppose you will take up golf when the course is opened' I said half-jokingly... 'You never can tell' he replied not joking at all... That is right. You never can tell!"

In addition, Tilly didn't stop in on the course during his PGA tour.

On October 8, 1943 the club was sold at auction "for $90,250 to a syndicate of 60 persons who will operate it as a private country club with a limited membership of 150. Alexander T. Spare was attorney for the group. The sale was held at the State Bank..."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:19:47 AM by Philip Young »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
After the Mountain Ridge event yesterday, I'd expect this Ross restored gem will move up into the top 100 Golfweek Classic list.

Gerry B

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »
i was also told that suburban in baltimore is the oldest jewish club in the us

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Gerry B

It is generally regarded that Century in NY is the first club of this genre. See Stephen Birmingham's book- "Our Crowd."

Nevertheless, this thread is about golf courses.

I would expect Mountain Ridge to ascend in the Golfweek rankings.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
4 years later....from GW's Top 100 Classic

35. Quaker Ridge
71. Franklin Hills
80. Fenway
94. Mountain Ridge

From GW's Next 100 Classic
121. Engineers
164. Century
171. Paramount formerly Dellwood
181. Alpine
187. North Shore LI
199. Peninsula?

Did I miss any in these rankings?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:07:26 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

David_Tepper

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
Lake Merced, which has hosted both the USGA Junior Boys & Girls and the California State Amateur, is hosting the LPGA "Swinging Skirts" tournament next week

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Lake Merced Country Club in San Francisco, CA is one of note as well--but was hacked by Rees Jones' firm (IMHO).

I do need to play it again, however....

That being said, I would have loved to play the Mackenzie routing/design back in the 30s and 40s....

I had a friend who was a member for years, and I usually sent holiday greetings either generic or Jewish themed.  One year he told me "Hey Dumbass, I'm not Jewish, I just joined there because the food was good!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
4 years later....from GW's Top 100 Classic

35. Quaker Ridge
71. Franklin Hills
80. Fenway
94. Mountain Ridge

From GW's Next 100 Classic
121. Engineers
164. Century
171. Paramount formerly Dellwood
181. Alpine
187. North Shore LI
199. Peninsula?

Did I miss any in these rankings?

Steve,

Are any of the clubs single gender?

Bob

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »
Bob,

I am not aware of any single gender clubs of this category.

Adam Warren

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
Haven't looked at the entire thread, and haven't played the course, but here in the Louisville metro area there is one "historically Jewish club."  Standard Country Club has been dying a slow death.  It was recently purchased by one of the Jewish orgainizations in the city and is renamed to the Standard Club.  There has been mention of shutting down clubhouse operations and only operating the golf course and pro shop.  I have heard its a nice course, but haven't and probably won't ever make it out there.  Maybe it will be public before they eventually decide to shut the doors.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
In DC, Woodmont is a historically Jewish club -- and, to my knowledge, remains predominantly Jewish.  I haven't played either of their courses; they do host a US Open qualifier every year. 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
Haven't looked at the entire thread, and haven't played the course, but here in the Louisville metro area there is one "historically Jewish club."  Standard Country Club has been dying a slow death.  It was recently purchased by one of the Jewish orgainizations in the city and is renamed to the Standard Club.  There has been mention of shutting down clubhouse operations and only operating the golf course and pro shop.  I have heard its a nice course, but haven't and probably won't ever make it out there.  Maybe it will be public before they eventually decide to shut the doors.

Adam SCC used to be located at the old River Run CC until 1950s. River Run was of course the original site of LCC and is now itself defunct.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:37 PM »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
In Evansville, Clearcrest Pines was once the Jewish country club, but it is now open to the public and actually hosts a lot of the Japanese workers at the local Toyota plant to the point there is dual signage in the clubhouse- one in English and another in Japanese.  

Sean_A

« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
After teething problems at an earlier site in Redford (Redford CC), it is thought the club insisted Ross invest more personal time on the Franklin Hills project. Among the Jewish community, Franklin Hills is well known because the club is a direct descendant of the Phoenix Club which was a Jewish social club established in 1872.  By 1905 the club was on its third city premises and desired to have a country club to compliment its city club.  Thus Redford CC (later a city of Detroit municipal called Rogell then privately owned as New Rogell and now closed) was born as a 9 holer designed by Tom Bendelow.  Not ten years later, in 1924ish, Donald Ross was hired to build nine additional holes and convert the sand greens to grass greens.  It was quickly realized that the land hard on the Rouge River was unsuitable for ideal golf (the drainage issues were never resolved).  Additionally, long closed Edgewater (amusement) Park was slated to be opened directly across the street from Redford CC, thus spoiling the country appeal of the club.  Consequently, a new site in Franklin, some 20 miles northwest of Detroit, was selected as optimal land to build Franklin Hills, which was to open in 1927. While vibrant, Frankiln Hills is tucked away in a secluded area and many Detroiters don't know of its existence. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

archie_struthers

« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
Historically Jewish clubs in the Philadelphia area

Philmont / Philly

Woodcrest / South  Jersey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back