News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Life-long enjoyment from a golf course
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:34:36 AM »
My wife (a total non-golfer, but an architecture nut - Gaudi, Calatrava, Pei, Gehry are her heroes) and I were watching Battle at the Bridges (about 1/2 hour - that how much we could stand), and my wife says (totally on her own):

"You know, if I had to play that course (The Bridges) every day, I would get bored - it's hitting the golf ball from pancake to pancake. I would much rather play the Old Course, which is very varied and interesting (she spent about 10 hours at TOC while I was hacking away)".

I said meekly something to the effect: "gee, honey, The Bridges is what they call target golf..." - but then I thought I should tell the story to the GCA. A good design can be appreciated by non-golfers!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 09:35:39 AM by Voytek Wilczak »

PThomas

Re:Life-long enjoyment from a golf course
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 03:10:43 PM »
she's definitely a keeper, Voytek! ;)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Dan Herrmann

Re: Life-long enjoyment from a golf course
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »
Voytek's thread got me wondering about the qualities an architect will design at a private golf club versus a public course versus one that's designed for high-end tournament play.

Obviously, variety in playing is important for the course you play all the time.  But what type of variety is important? 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:43:23 AM »
Dan,
I know that you've relocated to the mid-atlantic, but could you have played Sheridan for the rest of your days?  Personally, it's far and away the only muni in WNY that I could play for the rest of my days (which might be brief ones, depending on what's in two-mile creek.)

What matters most to me is the care that the players take.  If I were running a course, I would say to heck with pace of play and station my rangers at three different greens every day.  I would charge them with noting whether players repaired ball marks or not and ask them to politely confront those who did not.  The new courses in WNY are diseased with pitch holes that simply should not be there.  The other thing I might do is assemble a brigade of junior golfers and take them out to three to six greens every Monday morning and say "Go, lasses and lads.  Go and fix."  In exchange, they would get a dozen proV1s and a free round of golf.

I believe that the flow of the land should be adopted by the ownership and staff and sold to the clientele.  If it's crazy like Wolf Creek, live it and breathe it.  If it is manageable for walkers like Old Course and Bandon, encourage that.  If we don't have the Yin to the Yang, then what do we have?  Fat guys and thin guys need each other.

I'll take some pancakes with my French toast, thank you very much. 
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
Ronald, You would rather treat the symptom than the cause?

The new courses in WNY are diseased with pitch holes that simply should not be there.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »
Ronald,
I could definitely play Sheridan for the rest of my days.  It's quirky, it's fun, it's usually fairly well maintained, and it's cheap :)...

What's cool about it is that it actually has great angles and good elevation changes - something that's tough to find on the Great Lakes plain.

And give the new courses some time with the pitch marks.  It can take some time to firm up a new green (I think).

And you're right about Two Mile Creek.  I actually used to go searching for golf balls in the creek up on the old part of the course across Sheridan Drive.  UGHH!   After I found out what was in there, I moved my ball hawking job to Beaver Island and River Oaks in Grand Island.    (I would sell the balls to help me afford my season golf pass at Sheridan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back