News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: ST GEORGES HILL: Width Matters
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
I think St Georges Hill is one of the very best. I'd be hard pushed to consider any heathland noticeably better than it.

BCrosby

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
Agreed about SGH. One of the best in London 'burbs.

I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention. Especially here at GCA.

Bob

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »
Brian

Tough choice between the two and one couldn't fault anybody for their choice. 

If you want rugged, proper heathland golf (yet still refined), WH is the place.  If you want a genteel parkland course pretending to be a heathland course, SGH is the place.  Both are of exceptional quality. I spose WH has the trump card of two 18s while SGH only has 27 holes with one 9 not quite up to par with the other two.  Both courses have their disruptions; WH with the awful M25 road noise and marooned 1st hole and SGH with housing and wee roads cutting through the course.  The houses too are very different. WH is quite common with no views of the course and almost entirely dependent upon the Braid legacy and the events it has held to create an atmosphere.  SGH offers lovely views and nicer surrounds, but it is a bit ostentatious for my tastes. 

I am not sure as a member I could cope with WH's road noise, it is so deafening on a few holes and always at least white noise. Other the hand, I think as a place to play in the winter WH has to be the superior venue because the turf allows for better drainage.  I suspect too, in the summer WH can get humming like SGH can only dream of.  I am not sure either club would entirely suit me, but between the two, all else being equal, I would probably plop for WH.  In reality, I suspect costs and distance from my home would be the real deciding factors because its just about a dead draw between the two.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:40:25 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Kelly

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2014, 03:48:49 AM »
If SGH improved the green nine, which was talked about but I think has been either cancelled or delayed I think it would probably be in with a shout, but the option of 36 holes, an easier walk and the fact I can see SGH having abit of a 'stuffy' atmosphere at times, I think I'd plump for WH.

Though on a one off round, I think I'd lean towards SGH.........Too hard to choose really, I'd be delighted to join either!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:25 AM »
Is SGH the least visited of all the great heathland courses?  They seem to keep pretty much to them selves with little evidnce of historical matches to add to their 'value'.

I've palyed the main 18 once, about a decade ago and after the Berkshire it was the thrid Beathland Course I played.  Other than a generally favourable memory I find it hard to comment in detail.   My impression is that I would prefer it to either WH course.

However joining a Club you must think about who you would play with.  I think WH has a much larger membership and so the chance of finding kindred spirtis may be higher.   If one had to choose....well in one's life, one will have worse dilema's thrust upon you....
Let's make GCA grate again!

Frank Pont

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
Where does St George's Hill stand in the grand scheme of Heathland courses in London? What are its strengths and weaknesses?

If you had a choice between joining St George's Hill or Walton Heath, which would you choose?

It would be WH for me without a doubt, even though I am a Colt man.

Only weakness might be the fact that WH greens lack any micro undulations (except for green 6) that could have made the course even more interesting.....

Mark McKeever

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
Can someone post an old photo of the 8th?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
1913, 1960s and 1984 for three framed pix.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:09:37 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »
The 1913 version looks pretty spectacular. Good find Sean.

Jon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2014, 04:52:51 AM »
Those pics are on the wall of the clubhouse. One day, maybe, the club will be persuaded to put the bunkers back...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Frank Pont

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »
Those pics are on the wall of the clubhouse. One day, maybe, the club will be persuaded to put the bunkers back...

That might be the most important job you and Tim have at SGH ......

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »
I didn't find these pix, They were nicked from P Turner.

Does anybody think if the old bunkering were brought back that it would be very cool to have a lower green where the chipping area is?  When I first saw pix of thise hole I thought it was all green.  Imagine playing to the lower green from the far left tee? 

Ciao

BCrosby

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Re: the 8th green.

About a year ago I spoke with the SGH's secretary about the 8th. He seemed interested in restoring it to its former glory. The old pictures of the hole in the club's hallway make it hard to feign ignorance about what has been lost.

My guess is that the original Colt hole will be restored eventually. It would certainly raise the profile of SGH in a very competitive region of England.

But even without a restored 8th, SGH is a course that should not be missed. Colt at his most interesting. (Maybe also at his funkiest. Note that Colt's original 1st green was perched on top of the hill to the right of the current 1st green.)

Bob

Greg Taylor

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing St Georges Hill last week.

Previous comments about the inconsistently of the bunkers are right, but the course generally is great fun to play. There is width and very little deep rough so even a crooked one means a punch out rather than a 5 minute search.

The club house is spectacular and the view from the 9th tee is one of the best in English golf. The 10th is unquestionably great, and the 10th, 11th and 12th is a great run of holes on any course.

The talking point for me is however the short 4th... Sean applauds the hole in terms of it asking questions from the tee, but it isn't one of it's favourites. Whilst the bunkering may be "jarring to the eye" it is a fun hole to play and the shots to follow it up. The only thing to point out is that green is a two tier green running running from front to back, like the third... this isn't clear from the tee and can make two putting unlikely. I really liked the hole.

Here is not a very god pic greenside...:

[/URL]

Here also is another pic of the 8th green from, I think 1960...:

[/URL]

Will Lozier

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
I didn't find these pix, They were nicked from P Turner.

Does anybody think if the old bunkering were brought back that it would be very cool to have a lower green where the chipping area is?  When I first saw pix of thise hole I thought it was all green.  Imagine playing to the lower green from the far left tee? 

Ciao

Sean,

I had a similar thought...that having the green cover both areas would make for some fascinating pin placement and "putts"!

Cheers

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
There have been some extensive discussions and investigations to try and work out whether that plateau was ever green. Seemingly not, but I'm almost sure it's constructed.
Adam Lawrence

John Percival

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 10:40:32 PM »
Sean,
Wow. Your thread brought back memories of perhaps my fondest day in golf...
18 on the Old at Sunningdale, then 18 at SGH.
Took the train from London. Walked. Both 18's and from the station to SGH's CH.
Would have to have IV's, steroids and heart paddles to do that today.
Was blown away by O-S, then again by SGH.
Unlike many, LOVE the homes, as the owners have some of the great views in golf.
And, played the great 19th at SGH. Another wow!
Only one thing could have made it better...Laura teeing it up with me.
A huge pic of 18 at SGH is at my home.
Awesome.

p.s. yes, yes, yes. Should have played the New, but really wanted to experience SGH (Thx, Confidential Guide) and am damn glad I did.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
I'm going way off topic here but the house, rather... mansion to the left of the 9th fairway was painted in a garish pink... completely out of character with the rest of the homes.

And the two houses that you can see on the right hand side of the 9th on the green nine... I'm not sure there are bigger houses anywhere?!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:51:53 PM by Greg T »

Marc Haring

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
My Father used to live around the corner from SGHGC but in a development built by the local authority  ::). We used to drive around the estate on an afternoon gauping at the houses. You can't get near the place now unless on official business.

It's a great golf course to be sure and one that I was lucky enough to play on a few occasions. The 8th bunker would look amazing if brought back to the Colt's original look but I should imagine the course manager would be opposed. It would take a great deal of wheel barrow work getting the sand back up the face after any sort of torrential rain.

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »
Every time I go back to St Georges Hill I am more impressed.  Just give me more plays and I may walk thinking its better than Sunningdale!  See the extensively updated tour on page 1.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:23:00 AM by Sean_A »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2015, 02:24:40 PM »
I played SGH two weeks ago and it was fantastic. Just a great course, facility, and it was in excellent shape. I was also surprised to see that some of the houses were tear downs ... plenty of new construction going on. Wealth I could not imagine.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Thomas Dai

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
Very impressive tour. I can see why you're a fan of it Sean. Appears to be some different bunker styles. A hilly walk or not as severe as it appears?

Atb

Dan Boerger

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2015, 07:17:49 AM »
Yes, a hilly walk but really not too severe.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »
Heading out there next month straight from Heathrow. Assuming I survive my first experience driving a car in the UK, it should be a wonderful day. Hopefully the heather is in bloom.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2015, 07:37:43 AM »
I played SGH on Friday with the visiting legend that is Tom Dunne (who was coming to the end of a very intensive week of heathland golf). Course in great shape, a beautiful day and tremendous company. Plus I holed some putts. Can't be beaten.

Sean - you may have noticed the construction work going on around the green on the sixth of the Green nine. The approach bunker has been expanded significantly and the green rebuilt at a slightly greater angle to the line of play. The objective is to create a short par four with three distinct options from the tee -- lay back short of the big bunker and have a blind pitch to the green, take on the bunker and leave an easy chip, or have a bash at the green. I think it should be really good.

There are also plans for a new back tee on 17, something I totally support as it will restore the challenge of the big hump in the fairway for long hitters.

Wonderful place. I like it better and better every time I play; and the Blue nine is among the greatest stretches of golf in England.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:43:43 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back