News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

Red Mike Revisited
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »
Last week I once again ventured to the Links of North Dakota at Red Mike.

Man, I really like this golf course. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly why. Perhaps it’s the feeling of accomplishment from finally arriving at the place, a 3-hour drive for us.

Or perhaps it’s the remoteness and serenity one feels while out on the course. There are several vantage points throughout the golf course where one can look out across three or four fairways, see other golfers out there, but still feel as if you have the place to yourself.

Or perhaps it’s the land itself, the way it moves, heaves, drops, and rolls.

Or the “naturalness” of the golf course. I hate to use the word “minimalist”. I think the work “natural” fits this particular course much better. Architect Stephen Kay supposedly moved only 7,000 cubic yards of soil when building the golf course. I haven’t figured out where they get the water from, I assume it’s from the lake, though I’ve never seen a holding/settling pond.

I came across a really interesting article in Sports Illustrated on the history of the creation of the Links of North Dakota...
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025188/index.htm

From the course’s booklet…

"The Links of North Dakota is a Golf Digest and GolfWeek Magazine Top 100 Golf Course. The Links is also rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5 by Golf Digest Magazine and the #1 course in North Dakota!

The Links' breathtaking setting and immaculately manicured course, provide an ideal and unforgettable  experience. One of the purest examples of links style golf ever built in the US. Play the game as it was intended to be played.

This natural, rolling true links design harkens back to the birth of the game - golf as it should be played- in a truly magnificent setting along the bluffs and banks overlooking sprawling Lake Sakakawea.

In true links fashion, uneven lies and wind will challenge every aspect of your game. Architect Stephen Kay moved a minimal amount of soil to create one of the purest links courses on this side of the Atlantic.

The Links of North Dakota is not merely for the highly skilled golfer, 5 sets of tees ranging from 5,249 to 7,092 yards will accommodate players of all ability levels."

Matt Ward has stated that he feels the Links doesn’t really get going until the par-5 seventh. I would politely disagree. The Links has me the moment I crest the rise in the second fairway and get my first real close look at Lake Sakakawea, named after the young woman who helped guide Lewis and Clark in their western travels.

The golfer quickly begins to traverse rolling terrain as one travels through the short par-3 third, and uphill along the reachable par-5 fourth. The course doubles back toward the lake on the par-4 fifth, and then parallels the lake on the course’s hardest hole, the par-4 sixth.

On the practice putting green I got to talking with a gentleman who lived about 50 miles to the north; he told me about some ugly weather that the region had gone through in the early winter.

After we'd teed off on the first hole, I walked alongside one of the greenskeeping crew as he drove his fairway mower toward the first fairway, and we had a short chat. He apologized for the conditions of the course, explaining that the region west of Minot had experienced some awful weather in the early winter, with temperatures of 30 below with strong winds and no snow cover.

I had the pleasure of bumping into Marv Kaiser and Dave McAdoo, two of the ownership group, in the clubhouse just as we were leaving for the drive home.
Here's another interesting article, this one of the auction held at Red Mike 6 years ago...
http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2002/02/26/news/export4112.txt

Marv apologized for the conditions, again stating that the region had suffered through brutal weather conditions in the early winter. He told me that they would begin overseeding the fairways in the next few days with a newer strain of bentgrass, one which he felt was hardier than the current bentgrass in use. All of which surprised me. I was under the impression that the fairways were of fescue. And, when Marv mentioned using a newer strain of bentgrass for the fairways, I instantly recalled some "pros and cons" of using bentgrass in fairways, which Duane Sharpe of the Blackhawk course (near Edmonton, Alberta) had discussed on another thread here on GolfClubAtlas.

"Boy, I could go on and on about the increased costs of planting bentgrass but instead,  I will list a few items to think about.
Bentgrass requires not necessarily more fertilizer, but higher quality in regards to size of particle and releasing  characteristics thus increasing $
Bentgrass requires more maintenance time in regards to verticutting, aerating, topdressing and grooming.
Bentgrass requires divots to be repaired on a daily basis on tees which recovery time is twice as long as bluegrass thus creating more unsightly turf.....also increasing the amount of staff to fix the divots.
Bentgrass requires 3X the amount of fungicides to protect from winter damage........and is 3X as suseptable to damage from diseases.
Bentgrass is more expensive to plant as it requires a minimum of 6' of good sand to plant into where bluegrass can be planted on native ground in most cases.
Bentgrass takes longer to recouperate from winter damage and disease if a harsh winter hits.
Today's Bluegrasses are able to be mowed at 1/2" creating a bentgrass feel and are much more resilient to our canadian winters....
These are just my opinions.
I have worked at courses which have bent tees and bluegrass tees and I would definately lean towards  new modern dwarf bluegrasses if it was up to me."

Anyway, hopefully whatever transpires will help lead the course towards a healthier future. Conditions of the course last week were definitely tolerable. Winterkill was still obvious in patches in the fairways, but overall we thought that they were in relatively good shape. And the greens were great, rolling nice and true. Tee boxes were admittedly scruffy, but definitely playable.

~

I thought I'd provide a bit of a photographic tour of the course, with 6 holes in each installment.

To the front nine...

And hole #1...

The golfer is treated to a fairly easy opener, a par 4 of 407 yards which features a slight rise in the fairway. OB is present to the left, so one must be wary of that.

A slight downhill approach shot requires less club to a gently front to back sloped green.

Looking back from the 2nd fairway to the first hole...

Let's go to hole #2...

A short par 4 of 350 yards, the hole rises gently to navigate through/over three cross bunkers. The blind tee shot should be played over the center bunker.

Once safely past, the golfer is rewarded with the first good look at the lake, and the small skyline green tucked behind four greenside bunkers.

On to hole #3...

Distance control on this short par three is a must to avoid the five bunkers that surround the saddle-shaped green.

Hole #4...

This short uphill par five gives players an excellent chance at birdie. Tee shots should be aimed down the right center of the fairway as most shots kick left, giving players a clear view of the flag for their second shot.

Take extra club as your approach shot plays uphill to a two tiered green.

Hole #5...

Position your tee shot about 20 yards left of the fairway bunker.

Approach shots feature more good views of Lake Sakakawea.

Viewed from behind the green.

On to the 6th hole, with a wonderful view of the lake from behind the tees.

As the course booklet says, played into a west or northwest wind, this hole is brutal. The booklet says to favor the left center of the fairway off the tee, although the right side gives the golfer a better angle to the green.

Played as the number one handicap hole on the card, you'll need more club as your approach shot plays uphill to a long, narrow green.

The next installment will feature holes 7-12, beginning with a long uphill par five and continuing with two very distinct par threes.

JJ

Jason Hines

Re: Red Mike Revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »
Hi Jim,

Could you tell if they have had a lot of precip or lack there of?  Overall, how penal is the natural rough?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Jason, I think the precip has been normal for the region. Daytime highs are in the upper 80's/low 90's these days, with humidity levels about 35-40%. And, being on the edge of their timezone, the golfing days are l-o-n-g during the summer months.

Thunderstorms can occur due to daytime heating, but much like our area (Saskatchewan, Canada), it can go several weeks without any significant rainfall.

The natural rough is not that penal. And playability is definitely a feature of the course, as the playing corridors are quite wide. Even when the golfer strays into the natural grasses, he/she still has a good chance of finding/playing the ball.

JJ

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »
JJ, if Red Mike was 1-2 miles from I-94, like Wild Horse is off of I-80, this would be a no-brainer.  I don't think even Wild Horse would be viable on that north shore of the lake site, without even a logical way to get there without going several more miles out of the way to circumnavigate to the north shore. 

I wonder why they didn't opt for the dwarf bluegrass FWs like Wild Horse and Bayside had done?  I don't know for sure, but I believe a conversion from bent to dwarf blue is a major undertaking.

But, your write up is very enjoyable.  I note you all were in carts.  Just how walkable is the course in your view?  The aerial makes it look very walkable.  Did you see any rattlers?  How many rounds do you think were played by all golfers on the days you were there? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »
Dick, the photo journal is from three separate visits to the Links, with various groups of people. The most recent trip, last Friday, was with my wife and my brother. My wife rode, while my bro and I walked. The other pics are from annual trips to North Dakota that 4 couples make. Last year was Hawktree, Bully Pulpit, and LND. On those trips everybody carts and enjoys some cold bevvies.

The Links is very walkable. There are several treks between greens & tees, but they're mostly flat. The fairways themselves are an easy walk.

Nope, no rattlers. I'm not sure there are any in that particular area. We weren't given any warning in the clubhouse when we checked in, and I've never seen any warning signs posted. I would think that the winter is too severe for them to live in that area.

There were about 15 vehicles in the parking lot on Friday while we were there ... 11:30am-5:00pm. There's an RV campground right next to the parking lot, and when we were on the practice range I did notice several guys over there with power carts, dumping off their gear, so they must have just finished their rounds.

My brother actually asked the young gent how many rounds they'd get each season, and when my brother suggested 10,000, the response was a bit of a shrug, as if to say "something like that". I had been under the impression that the course did about 10,000 annually, but when I looked at the parking lot on one of the nicest golfing days of the season (temp: 27 Celsius...what's that, about 85 F.? ... and light, if any wind, with clear skies) I began to wonder if they even do that many. I think it may be closer to 7,500 or 8,000 than 10,000. And they have a pretty good price on their season pass ... $775/individual or $975/family. At a $60 green fee, only 13 rounds (once every 2 weeks, in season) is the break-even point for golfers. Personally, I think $60 is just too high for the region. Where I'm from (Saskatchewan, Canada), that $60 green fee would be the highest in the province, and way beyond what the munis are charging ($36). However, the course is packaged with Hawktree and Bully Pulpit in a "Triple Challenge" promo, and with $65 and $79 fees respectively at the other two courses, I guess their mindset is that they have to remain in that ballpark.

JJ

Jim Johnson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
JJ, if Red Mike was 1-2 miles from I-94, like Wild Horse is off of I-80, this would be a no-brainer.  

I wonder why they didn't opt for the dwarf bluegrass FWs like Wild Horse and Bayside had done?  I don't know for sure, but I believe a conversion from bent to dwarf blue is a major undertaking.

Dick, we traveled for about half an hour along U.S. #2 ... darn good highway, divided too. Just like interstate.

I'm surprised too that they don't switch over to a nice blend of bluegrasses for the fairways. Perhaps it is a big-time conversion to do that, from existing bentgrass fairways. Maybe some of the turf experts or architects can chime in on that one.

I've noticed during past rounds at LND the amount of grass clippings on the fairways. An example is the photo of the approach shot on the 5th fairway. I assumed that it was from wet conditions, fairways not being able to be mowed for a couple of days, etc.

JJ

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the thread JJ,

I will comment more when I have more time.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
JJohnson:

Thanks for the pictures and commentary. Look forward to the rest.

I stick by what I said previously, LND really didn't excite me until you get to the par-5 7th. The holes preceding that clearly are dependent upon the wind and the long back-to-back par-4's -- the 5th and 6th will certainly play differently.

I do agree with you on the 18-hole rate fee. For many in the area that will likely prove to be too high. No doubt if one happens to be from NYC or LA or some other large American city then the rates are not that big of a deal.

LND gets plenty of positive comments because of its sheer isolation -- going to Ray, ND requires plenty of effort no doubt. I'll say this -- there are a few holes of note when there -- just not enough for me to venture back when I see the likes of Red Rock in Rapid City, SD, to name just one example of northern plains golf, get far too little attention.

Look forward to the rest of your comments.

Be curious to know if the pin on #8 was placed extreme to the right side. When it's that far left you've got to earn it. Ditto when the pin on #17 is placed to the far left. Both are solid par-3 holes.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
I think the 1st hole is a bit of genius. One characteristic that is often appreciated on first holes is being such that they ease you into the round. The first hole does that as well as most first holes having that characteristic, but additionally it eases your mind into the game. It gives you an obvious and straight forward choice. Either you deal with a bunker on your drive, or you deal with a bunker on your approach, choose your poison and let's get started.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:27:22 AM »
And on we go, to the 7th hole...

As the esteemed Mr. Ward has stated, things really get cooking on hole #7. This par five snakes its way gently uphill during its 560 yards of travel. Tee shots should be aimed at the left edge of the first fairway bunker on the left side. Your mind tells you to aim more to the right, but it's deceiving, as balls hit more to the right actually are way offline, ending in the natural grasses to the right of the right hand bunkers.

As the booklet says, take plenty of extra club as your approach shot plays uphill, to a wide and interesting green to putt.

Hole #8...

This challenging par three is played over a ravine, to a wide green featuring a small bowl in the front center. Unless the hole is located in the bowl of the green, slightly over the green is usually better than short.

Side view of the green, note the bowl in front portion...good luck if your tee shot comes to rest on the front left part of the green, with the flag where it is in the photo:

Hole #9...

A relatively easy hole to close up the front nine, the 9th offers the golfer an excellent chance at a birdie if one can avoid the fairway bunkers. Aim your tee shot between the right greenside bunker and the right fairway bunker.

A short approach shot is played to a long two-tiered green.

On to the back nine...

Hole #10:

View from the forward tee...

Depending on your drive, your second shot can be played at the green (over the head of the golfer walking), but the safer play is to aim down the fairway to the corner.

Native grasses and a long, narrow greenside bunker present problems for approach shots right and short of the green.

Hole #11:

Don't be short on the shortest hole on the course. A nasty pot bunker in front will swallow most shots short of the green.

Tee shots landing on the left side of the green will funnel down toward the center of the green.

Looking back toward the tee:

Hole #12...

Admire the views of Lake Sakakawea as you aim your drive between the fairway bunkers. Most tee shots kick left, giving you a clear view of the green.

Approach shots missed left or right will provide a tough chance at par on this long par four, the #2 handicap hole on the card.

Notice the movement of the fairway, tumbling down from one of the higher points on the course.

The final installment will feature holes 13-18, including some strategic par 4's and also what some consider a poor finishing hole. Others disagree.

JJ

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
That was a fine looking stretch of holes...  I love the soap dish feature in the green on 8.  The hole looks like it would be very interesting to try to play various shaped shots to the different distinct green sectors.  A fellow could put a shag bag down there and hit many shots for an enjoyable time.   ;D

What do you think of a maintenance scheme where the fringe cut on certain greens would be brought out to a strip of 6-9 ft?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
I love the soap dish feature in the green on 8.  The hole looks like it would be very interesting to try to play various shaped shots to the different distinct green sectors.  A fellow could put a shag bag down there and hit many shots for an enjoyable time.   ;D

Dick, here's another photo of that green from last year, viewed from behind the green looking back toward the tees, just after the greens had been punched.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
The second hole is a very good hole. It is better than #7, where Matt Ward says the course finally gets started. The drive is a bite off all you can chew risk reward situation over crossing bunkers. The approach is to a well bunkered, shyline green. If you successfully cleared the furthest bunker and left yourself with a short pitch to the green, you have to deal with the bunkering. If you took a much less aggressive line off the tee, then although you have a longer approach shot, you have less worriy from the green side bunkers. I would love to play this hole many times and test the options.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »
My biggest complaint about LND is that #3 and #11 are too similar. They are very close in yardage and they both play into a hollow below a hill. I think it would have been better to let #11 play farther up the hill and shorten the uphill walk to 12 tee.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »
Good points here Garland.

Number two is a really good hole, I agree. And it's supplemented by the first good views of the lake behind that skyline green. The way Kay has positioned the 3 cross bunkers, it is a "bite off all you can chew risk reward situation". The farther one drives to the left, the closer one gets to the green. But, one is left with a delicate little pitch over the greenside bunkers to a green which is perpendicular to your line of play. To give yourself a fuller wedge shot, you must barely clear the far left cross bunker. Or, one can play less aggressively over to the right, as you've mentioned, and even though you are farther from the green, the angle into the green is much better and you have a bit more room over the righthand greenside bunker. As with any good hole on a good golf course, it seems to get more strategic the more one plays it. And, it's great to see a really good sub-350 yard par four these days.

And I agree with your assessment of holes 3 and 11. Not only are they similar in length, but they head in the exact same direction. Actually, three of the four par-3 holes head in a northwest direction. It would have been good to see a bit more variety there.

R.J., are you referring to a closer cut surrounding the greens, or just a wider fringe? I noticed several areas where shorter grass surrounding the greens might have made play more interesting. Holes 10, 13, 15, and 16 come to mind (you'll see these in the final chapter).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
I really like #4 too. The drive gives you a restricted view of what is to come with a green that can give you some interesting putts. It's a short par 5, dare I say half par, hole to boot.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
#5 is probably the weakest hole on the front 9. But then comes the #6 brute. I challenge you to keep your approaches from getting in the bunkers short left of the green. ;) I didn't/couldn't.

But, then my fade moves that direction as I surmise it does for a couple of the people pictured on this thread. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
Hole 7. What can a guy who plays most of his golf under 80' plus Douglas fir trees say about this hole other than standing on the tee he has to wonder if it is humanly possible to cover that much territory in 3 shots or less. Although I didn't take the route over the right bunkers, my impression was that it opened up a turbo kick and made for a great advantage if successful. However, JJ writes it leads to trouble and since he has been there much more often, I have to take his word for it. What makes this a good hole is that you have to think yourself through postioning for the third shot to the green which opens up for an approach from the right.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
Not trying to be a buzzkill here.  But based on the pictures I've seen in this thread and on the website, is this really worth the effort to getting to it?  Sure the green fees are cheap, but imagine the costs in gasoline, lodging, and otherwise just to play this one course.

If its closer to a large metro area, looks fantastic, and a no-brainer to go play it.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
Sure the green fees are cheap, but imagine the costs in gasoline, lodging, and otherwise just to play this one course.

If its closer to a large metro area, looks fantastic, and a no-brainer to go play it.

Kalen, not sure why you feel the need to utter the obvious.  Surely, the fixed cost of getting to North Dakota from just about anywhere is high.  The same is true of Bandon, OR, Holyoke, CO, or Gothenburg or Mullen NE.  The same is true of Dornoch.  You may not, but others may wonder what’s wrong with a person who spends a lot of time and money to go all the way to Nova Scotia to see one Stanley Thompson golf course.

Going to North Dakota to play golf is not likely ever to rise to level of “100 things you must do before you die.”  But if you're interested in general in seeing the High Prairie and specifically in seeing some interesting and unique golf, then based on my experience seeing N. Dakota and this terrific course both are well worth the effort. The trip was certainly a revelation to me. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
Eric,

This is fine and I don't disagree with anything you said.  I really was just asking a question to those who have been there and not trying to be a buzzkill as stated. For you it would appear it was worth it.

For me probably not because there are a couple of similar looking courses right here in the SLC area.....one of them actually looks very similar but they put housing around the front 9 with more eventually to come on the back 9 I'm sure.   :-[

As a side note,  I have played remote courses and made the time, travel, expense investment to go do so.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 01:46:44 AM »
... is this really worth the effort to getting to it? 

I understand the questioning of one's sanity to get there to play it, but I personally appreciate the subtleties of the course, the vistas, the serenity, the (relatively) inexpensive green fees, etc.

No, it is not a Bandon, or a Sand Hills, or a Wildhorse. But, considering the amount of money spent to build it (a reported $300,000 total), I think it's a damn nice golf course. It's a great example of a course laid upon the land, not forced, and certainly not manufactured, unlike many courses built over the years.

While the green fee ($60.00) is high for the region, it is nowhere near a Bandon green fee ($265) or a Pebble green fee ($495 + cart). Granted, the course is not near the quality of either of those places. But, I question anyone's sanity in having to pay a green fee of those amounts. I just cannot justify paying that kind of money for a round of golf, I'm sorry. I'm trying to live in the real world.

People talk about how "remote" this course is. It's 80 miles from the city of Minot, which is serviced twice daily with flights on NWA via Minneapolis. Bandon is, what, a 3 or 4 hour drive to the nearest big city with an airport? Sand Hills is, what, 5 or 6 hours from a major airport? Perhaps that's one of the draws of courses like this. There is a small sense of accomplishment simply from arriving at the golf course. Maybe that just adds something to the experience.

I apologize for the quality of the photographs presented. I was disappointed with the latest batch from last week's round, and I don't have too many from previous rounds that are worth posting. That certainly doesn't help present a strong case.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
People talk about how "remote" this course is. It's 80 miles from the city of Minot, which is serviced twice daily with flights on NWA via Minneapolis. Bandon is, what, a 3 or 4 hour drive to the nearest big city with an airport? Sand Hills is, what, 5 or 6 hours from a major airport? Perhaps that's one of the draws of courses like this. There is a small sense of accomplishment simply from arriving at the golf course. Maybe that just adds something to the experience.

JJ,

Minot is not a major airport.  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »
Not trying to be a buzzkill here.  But based on the pictures I've seen in this thread and on the website, is this really worth the effort to getting to it?  Sure the green fees are cheap, but imagine the costs in gasoline, lodging, and otherwise just to play this one course.

Kalen,

What you ask is very subjective. Matt Ward would probably answer no way Jose, I would say if you happen to be going to ND, make sure you do it. J Johnson may say yes it is worth it.

We can't answer the question for you. It is not a Ballybunion if that is what you are asking. But, to put it in the context of something you relate to, IMHO is beats Hideout.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.  Your defense of the course in at least some small way speaks to how good it likely is.

I alluded to this in a previous post, but for me living in the SLC area, there are a handful of courses that look similar based on the photos provided.  So in my individual case while it may not be a trip to be found on my itinary anytime soon, it could just as easily be very high up for other folks on GCA.com.

When/if I do my tour of America once I kick all the kids out of the nest, then certainly I'll likely work it in as I want to visit all 50 states....even North Dakota   ;D ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back