News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

Best Kansas City Golf w/ Decent Access
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
Headed to Kansas City for a wedding and looking to squeeze in a round.  Best options?  Any of the better privates willing to let people on with a call from your pro?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: Best Kansas City Golf w/ Decent Access
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »
Cliff -

I played Staley Farms this summer and really enjoyed it.  There are some threads on here that talk about it.  It's got a housing development feel to it, but there are some solid golf holes, especially on the back side.  I think it's semi-private, and worth a call. 

Wayne

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
Hi Cliff,

I only know courses on the Kansas side, would suggest:

Falcon Ridge
Sycamore Ridge
Falcon Lakes

Have also heard good things about Staley Farms as well.

Private courses that should let you on:

Shadow Glen (Wieskopf)
Lionsgate (Nicklaus)
Milburn (Langford)

A word of caution, make sure that the course you play has not lost their greens.  It has been a rough summer and several have been playing temporary greens.

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
Cliff -

I don't know what to tell you about access but if access isn't an issue, this is the order I would choose in KC. 

1. Hallbrook - I believe it is a Fazio - really good, really difficult, tough for access.
2. Kansas City CC - lots of history, Tom Watson's home course for many years
3. Shadow Glen
4. Milburn
5. Wolf Creek
6. Sycamore Ridge
7. Staley Farms
8. Lion's Gate

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
If you play Milburn, there is little Langford left that is visible.  Either Packard or Gill remodeled it years ago.  I have played all the other ones except for Wolf Creek and Lions Gate and all are nice tests. 

There is also KC National by Watson which I have also played.  I don't even know how private it is, since I played as a guest.  Worth seeing, although it runs through housing.

Right near the airport is RTJ II Tiffany Green, which I have also played.  Pretty standard RTJII stuff, but the fifth green is an interesting center depression green, which I loved and the pro shop apologized for.

Now, if you want to drive a few hours, you could go to Manhattan and play Colbert Hills, which has better topography, etc.  But, it sounds like its out of your time frame.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »
Jeff,

After naming the architects, and remodelers of the other courses, you neglected to say who did Colbert Hills.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back