News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Treadwell

Re: American Parkland-What does that mean to you?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »
I wonder if the perception of a parkland golf course in the US will change at all after the 2016 US Open.
Doubt it.  I really was hopefully that the Pinehurst Open would move the needle (and Chambers to a lesser extent).  People know what they know and at times can celebrate what has happened somewhere else.  Totally different ball game when it comes to performing such work at your own club.  I can already hear people at my place while watching the upcoming Oakmont Open...."we don't want our course to look like Oakmont".  Oh the irony. 

BCowan

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
Brad,

I think with Oakmont being on clay and totally different grass types, and having white sand it will help with presentation to average CC member.  #2 and Chambers aren't the best examples for change.  Hopefully the broadcasters will do a better job of selling it. 

However I think computer aided imaging showing before and after photos by an Archie to a membership board is most effective in changing minds.  That is just my 2nd hand experience from friends and what my gut tells me.  Focusing on improved Turf is a great selling point. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:20:54 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »
You bring up a great point....the announcers....and this is probably worth its own thread.  I do see an increase in GCA conversation on broadcasts recently....guys like Ian Baker Finch, Curt Byrum, and others are speaking more than their predecessors on the topic.  This group could really help on the education front. 

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »
Brad,

I think we should get many GCAers to brainstorm and come up with an official Parklands definition.  Possibly start a new thread when we come up with it? 

Brad Treadwell

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
Sounds good to me. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Would/could Crystal Downs count as a 'Parkland' course?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
Ben,

parkland normally has a very open aspect to it with GROUPS of trees integrated into the landscape. The idea was to allow the visitor specific views of the surrounding area. Many courses claiming to be parkland do not have the open vista aspect so central to parklands and are in reality tree-lined or woodland courses.

Jon

Jon,

Great definition and so important to US courses that were once Parklands and now Woodlands (great term)(aka Arbs).  It would be nice to see 50-80 trees on the interior of a golf course.  Golden age course with 160 acres or less and neighboring holes I was trying to come up with a number of trees that would make sense.   

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »
Its a shame isn't Ben?  Woodland courses should be carved from woodlands and therefore exhibit the wonderfully diverse growth that occurs naturally.  Trying (or allowing by benign neglect) to turn a parkland into a woodland is a recipe for disaster. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
"Parkland" covers most everything in the U.S. I have never heard a course refered to as a "Woodland" nor can I find a definition for same as "Mountain" or "Woodland" style are in fact "Parlkand".  An awful lot of parkland courses have added "native fescue" grasses to delineate the playing corridors and although prevelant in "Links" and "Heathland" layouts they are not indigenous to the "Parkland" style at least in the U.S. Additionally of all the courses that have added the native grasses most have only done so in the last twenty years.

BCowan

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
Tim,

The 2nd course at Lawsonia is called Woodlands.  Maybe the term is used more frequently across the pond?  I think courses like Oakmont that added fescue in clay soils looks unnatural and I don't like it.  If a Parklands course on sandy soil adds fescue I'm fine with it and one could consider it possibly a Heathlands course even though it doesn't have gorse or heather?  In order to be a true links, the course has to be by water i believe.  I'd like for there to be more discussion on links, parklands, woodlands, and heathlands, and are there hybrids? 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:13:59 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Tim,

The 2nd course at Lawsonia is called Woodlands.  Maybe the term is used more frequently across the pond?  I think courses like Oakmont that added fescue in clay soils looks unnatural and I don't like it.  If a Parklands course on sandy soil adds fescue I'm fine with it and one could consider it possibly a Heathlands course even though it doesn't have gorse or heather?  In order to be a true links, the course has to be by water i believe.  I'd like for there to be more discussion on links, parklands, woodlands, and heathlands, and are there hybrids?
Ben-I guess you have to add "desert" to cover places like Arizona and Palm Springs. As to your question about hybrids would "Heathland" be a mix of both parkland and links? It seems with the exception of an inland location the other characteristics more resemble links.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back