News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Robert White
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Never mind.  There is no use responding to someone who is out of his mind.   :P

I agree. 

Good luck finding your Willie. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

CHrisB

« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
Dave Moriarty,

(read the following as if it was spoken in a thick Scottish brogue)

I can tolerate you claiming that the 10th at Merion was an Alps hole...or the bitterness and rage in your to's and fro's with Tom Paul...or posting from the safety of Tom MacWood 's lap... ;)

But I won't tolerate your copycatting my Groundskeeper Willie avatar, you "silk-wearin' croquet-playin' buttercup"!!

(Actually I think it's pretty cool. As Greg Norman had the balls to say to new U.S. Open Champ Corey Pavin after walking off the 18th at Shinnecock in 1995: "Welcome to the club.")
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:04:16 PM by Chris Brauner »

DMoriarty

« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
Chris,

I understand your confusion.  While the family resemblance is absolutely uncanny, I believe yours is a picture of Groundskeeper Willie MacMoran, of Springfield.   Mine is of his great grandfather, the famous golf professional who came to the United States and, among other things, designed some golf holes for the great clubs of the late 19th century. 

Here is a photograph from the other thread that was sent to me by Mr. MacMoran.  Note that Mr. Campbell's exact words appear on the photograph.   Quite a find, don't you think?

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
Chris/David

The photo is not of a true man from the Highlands. He might, just might have come from Glasgow, being of English/Irish and certainly Welsh stock but never from our glorious Kingdom of Fife or any part of the East Coast.

I would therefore request a disclaimer be added stating he has no connection with our little Kingdom of Fife (otherwise might put off the visitors and attract more of those BUDA guys). 

CHrisB

« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
David/Melvyn,
Here's Groundkeeper Willie's official bio from The Simpsons:

On the surface, Groundskeeper Willie is a surly, gruff, hot-tempered sort of a fella, and what you see is what you get. As far as this shaggy-haired, thickly-accented Scotsman is concerned, manners are for bath-taking, underpants-wearing, lily-huggers. Willie would rather wrestle a wild Alaskan timber wolf than set down to a high tea. At the faintest sign of trouble, Willie rips off his shirt and hurls his rippling muscular body into the fray. Crediting his remarkable build in part to his diet, Willie vigorously promotes the eating of haggis.

While Willie regards Principal Skinner as nothing more than a "silk-wearin' croquet-playin' buttercup," he takes pride in performing the tasks Skinner sets for him. In addition to his regular groundskeeping at Springfield Elementary, these include chasing stray dogs through the air vents, watering down the orange drink for extra profits at school functions, and substitute-teaching French class in his own sensitive way: "Bonjour, you cheese-eatin' surrender-monkeys."

Willie's personal life is as rocky and desolate as his native land. While it is true that he was once engaged to magical British nanny, Shary Bobbins, she dumped him immediately when her eyesight returned. Since then, he has spent the bulk of his private time secretly videotaping couples in their cars.

Here's a small photo gallery:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:39:09 PM by Chris Brauner »

DMoriarty

« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
Chris,

I am surprised they left his illustrious lineage out of the biography.   That's Fox for you. 

Chris/David

The photo is not of a true man from the Highlands. He might, just might have come from Glasgow, being of English/Irish and certainly Welsh stock but never from our glorious Kingdom of Fife or any part of the East Coast.

I would therefore request a disclaimer be added stating he has no connection with our little Kingdom of Fife (otherwise might put off the visitors and attract more of those BUDA guys). 

Melvyn, 

I am not going to get into the middle of this one.   Groundskeeper Willie and his cousin Gravedigger Billie not only gave me that photo, they were adamant that they were Musselburgh Campbell's.   At least that is what I think they said.

Fair warning, they seem a bit touchy and I think they'd be plenty angry if they thought you were poking fun at their long passed relative. Not sure what they'd do, but one of them told me that he still has his his great-grandfather's hoe shown in the photo, and that it wasn't for digging.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back