News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Kittansett - In Her Summer Dress
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »
Last week I had the chance to walk around Kittansett during the playing of the Mass Am’s 100th anniversary matches.

The setting is idyllic, the conditioning was very firm and fast. The day before they had some 30 MPH winds which caused many a problem to the competitors.

A few notes & questions on the architecture:

-   The routing is pretty special - out & back. The 9’s are non-returning. Only 2 par 5’s. The flow of the holes works very, very well.

-   The Par 3’s seem to have the best green sites. The pics of the 3rd are very common place but the long 8th & 11th and mid length 14th have wonderful designs. Is there another course whose best green complex’s are on all of the par 3’s?

-   The use of the buried rock’s as mounding was pretty unique, though they are mainly on the sides and other than the 16th hole do not cross the line of play on any two or three shot holes.

-   The strategic use of the rough across the fairways gave many a player fits. The rough was pretty benign not penal. Is there another course which uses this feature as we’ll as Kittansett?

-   Could the coastline / waterfront have been utilized more? The initial plans had housing lots where the range is and along side the inlet, but it was never utilized. Could a routing have been come up with if that was going to be used for the golf course from the start?

They appear to have gone through some pretty significant tree management though more should be done. Some of the vista’s opened up create a very dramatic look. Adding to the dramatic feeling is the fescue’s which really enhance the look.

Her are some phot's to enjoy. I have some large panorama's that I am putting together which I will try and post later.

Hole 1 – very tough starting hole – 445 yard par 4 #1 handicap.

Hole 2

Looking back to the tee in the distance.

The green site.

Hole 3

Has the front always been so dramatic a lip??  Also, this green has much more movement than the pictures show.

Here is a view of the green from about 45 degree’s left of the tee’s near the 16th green. This view had been obscured but with the tree management it’ looks like a great location for an alternate tee?

Hole 4 – dogleg right w/ marsh & tree’s right, mounds and fescue left.

Looking back from the green

Hole 5 – Great center fairway bunker. I believe this was not in the initial design and has been added by Gil Hanse.

Hole 8 – 195 yard par 3 – to a great green w/ some great movement and hazards galore. Plays slightly uphill to the highest point of the property.

Hole 11 – Very demanding par 3. 240 yards from the back.

First picture is from the cross bunker looking to a very difficult green w/ a pronounced ridge. This green has some of the greatest movement I’ve seen in a green. Playing to a back right pin has got to be brutal.

Hole 12  - very difficult driving hole - as you can see

Hole 13 – dog leg right to a great small well bunkered skyline green.

Hole 14 – My favorite green – steep fall of the back w/ a very sneaky back bunker (is this from Gil or is this original?) and mounds left and tough bunkers right. Fantastic hole.

Hole 15 – Demanding long par 5 w/ mounds galore down the left, bunkers right (incuding a very large one pinching near the green. Very cool little fescue covered ripple short and left.

Here are the fescue covered mounds

How is this for a view – 15th green, 16th hole, Buzzards’s Bay and Cap Code in the background

Hole 16 – Back out in the more exposed are now. Par four out towards the water

The green site is raised and totally exposed.

Hole 17 - Very tough par 4 usually into a strong prevailing wind.

Looking back from to the tee.

Hole 18 - very tough long finisher to a slightly raised green

Great setting and a wonderful golf course.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Kittansett - In Her Summer Dress
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
Thanks for these photos, John.

Kittansett is high on my to-see list. These images make me more anxious to get there, sooner than later.
jeffmingay.com

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »
Great photos and a great course. That day looks very similar to the day I played there. I can't wait to get back.
Mr Hurricane

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
John-

Thanks for the pics...the course looks great.

I especially love the par 3 8th hole.  Wow that looks world class.

Chip

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »
"-   The strategic use of the rough across the fairways gave many a player fits. The rough was pretty benign not penal. Is there another course which uses this feature as we’ll as Kittansett?"

JohnF:

That kind of thing was something Flynn did occasionally. At one point he even advertized it as "interrupted" or "separated" fairways. We believe he got that idea from his work at and familiarity with Pine Valley (Flynn belonged to Pine Valley). Unfortunately it seems like that kind of thing was never too popular with memberships, particularly ladies.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:38:36 AM »
Terrific, terrific tour - thank you very much, John. I owe you a coke.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
Outstanding John! Thank you for posting these.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ray Richard

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
Great pictures-The super should be appaluded for managing the greenside fescues so well. He's got the water and nitrogen minimized and that isn't easy to do.

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
John-

Great pics and thanks for sharing.....the contours on 11 look menacing.

Did anyone else notice almost every photo of a greensite has at least one ball nestled in reasonably close?

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
Did Kittansett do a tree removal or has it always kept it trees in check?

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
My thanks too, John.

To paraphrase one of Duke Ellington's favourite compliments:

"My but doesn't Kittansett make that dress look pretty". 

Peter

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
That is a great place. We stay in a couple of rooms at the clubhouse and woke up to the sea breeze.

The members often change into their golf shoes right at the bench outside the pro shop, leave their shoes in a big pile and change back later on.

Great place, great course.

#2 Flynn after Shinnecock

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
That is a great place. We stay in a couple of rooms at the clubhouse and woke up to the sea breeze.

The members often change into their golf shoes right at the bench outside the pro shop, leave their shoes in a big pile and change back later on.

Great place, great course.

#2 Flynn after Shinnecock

Mike,
It is a great place.
Many clubs could take a lesson from such laid back customs.
I cringe when I see how upset clubs get about the possibility that a member might change shoes in a parking lot.

Many are too busy trying to be "top 50" course as discussed in another thread.
Great course-great people.
What more do you need?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Cupit

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 11:37:17 PM »
bump--more people need to see these pics :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back