News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Annandale GC (Watson/Bell/Silva)(pics)
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
The talents of the La Habra Postcard Co continue to amaze....top notch. I had heard a rumor that he was not too pleased with the final results at AGC. Any specific comments of interest at the Derby?

No he was pleased. Very much so as a matter of fact.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »
The talents of the La Habra Postcard Co continue to amaze....top notch. I had heard a rumor that he was not too pleased with the final results at AGC. Any specific comments of interest at the Derby?

No he was pleased. Very much so as a matter of fact.

I can vouch for that. We were just talking the other day and he likes it. In fact, I have heard that the membership is quite pleased as well.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 02:25:54 AM »
The author will pay.  Dearly.

Could someone post Brian Curley's work in the form of images ?

+++

Did Brian Curley redo bunkers at Annondale? 

Forrest, why don't you put up some pictures of some of your WP Bell bunkers from your restoration of Buenaventura?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 08:57:40 AM »
I believe Brian C. did quite a bit of work there, prior to Brian S.

Buenaventura bunkers were a reinterpretation of what was left over after Wm P. Bell and, much later, Wm. F. Bell. Perhaps best referred to as "Forrest L. Bell" bunkers.

There are a few photos on our website. www.golfgroupltd.com/buenaventura.html
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
I'm tacking these pages onto this thread - if you've seen them before (the photos are familiar) - too bad  :o - you're seeing 'em again!  ;D

http://tinyurl.com/nxcvyp6

http://tinyurl.com/mzmvr82

http://tinyurl.com/lu5dhyb

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brian Curley

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
Yes, Indeed....did a bunker remodel prior to the Silva work. Pat Reilly, the outgoing Head Pro and I had just met following construction of The Palms near La Quinta. Pat wanted to leave his last imprint on the Club on the way out. Mainly was a bunker  remodel effort but the scope grew some along the way to include some extensive clearing of REALLY tight holes that had little sun ( compounded by being in canyons to begin with ). Bob Hope had once joked that the 14th hole was the only hole in golf where the players  and caddies  had to walk single file......

Anyway, we  quickly re-worked bunkers  and added some , all while they DID NOT SHUT DOWN PLAY.......I still have the welts....some big member/ guest was upcoming and they were in a bit of a hurry.The white sand was not our idea in the least but I knew it would quickly turn darker given the air quality. My only other source of input was the greens chairman who was a very good player. The course , needless to say, got tougher along the way and, when there was a member update  meeting and I began to sense some unrest, it was quickly shut down and it was announced the meeting was over and the bar was now open. At the time, I thought it was great to deal with one person.......boy, was I wrong.

Upon opening , lots of complaints from the older players who thought it was too tough.  The irony is that many of the Siva bunkers  look like  they are in the same locations  and  much of the clearing/ width  was done when I was there. I have not seen it first hand.

My lesson learned  was to involve as many members and levels of play as possible. When I interviewed for the Oakmont remodel ( nearby ) I told this story and, over a short period , played the course with about 40 different players, all sorts of good and bad swings , and tried to listen to all. Oakmont has been a great experience.

Forrest, I ran across a PPT the other day  when we were moving the office and will try to post some images.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
My lesson learned  was to involve as many members and levels of play as possible. When I interviewed for the Oakmont remodel ( nearby ) I told this story and, over a short period , played the course with about 40 different players, all sorts of good and bad swings , and tried to listen to all. Oakmont has been a great experience.

Forrest, I ran across a PPT the other day  when we were moving the office and will try to post some images.

Brian...the work at Oakmont is outstanding!  I think Behr would say you nailed it. 

Josh Stevens

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
I concur with previous comments, the bunkers are unspeakably horrid. 

All completely identical, and made worse by that ghastly rim of longer grass to accentuate the horridness.  This frilliness taken to absurd extreme

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 02:28:09 AM »
I concur with previous comments, the bunkers are unspeakably horrid. 

All completely identical, and made worse by that ghastly rim of longer grass to accentuate the horridness.  This frilliness taken to absurd extreme

I think the grass rings are what gives the bunkering an identical look.  Its the same looking back at the Bell bunkers.  The rings make every bunker look as though it was built in a round pit rather than mimicing the actual shape of the sand pattern.  This is common though.  I think what sets these bunkers apart is that there are so many in close proximity.  My eye is drawn to the round edges being so close to each other more then the frilly sand.  It definitely looks odd.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Josh Stevens

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 06:08:39 AM »
is it perhaps that the fool that built these things didn't give much thought to how the poor ground staff might actually mow them.   Those silly edges would be giving the ground staff conniptions, so they just gave up and don't take a mower within 2m of the damn things

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back