News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Chris - I know you own the course but could you provide some background on how that came to being? Did you do the redesign or did you hire an architect? You mentioned some battles with members. I'd be interested to hear more about those. If you don't want to answer I'll wait to hear about it at Camargo.

Chris Cupit

Steve,

Here's a Cliff Notes version:

My dad was one of five brothers who were golf pros from Texas (8 brothers 5 pros).  After a spell in West Memphis Arkansas he came to Atlanta CC where he was the asst. pro under Davis Love Jr.  He then took the head pro job at Ansley Golf Club (the 9 hole course in downtown Atlanta).  Ansley in 1966 or so bought property in Dunwoody and built an 18 hole golf course and my dad was pro at both courses.  He would open Ansley in the AM, my mom (with me in a baby basket in the office) would come around 11:00 to stay and close the downtown course and my dad would head north to open the new 18 hole course at lunch time. 

Dunwoody was so far out in "the boonies" then that no one had any interest in being that far out before then ;D  At some point the new course on the northside became a source of tension as the older in town members had no idea why in the world their money should be wasted on an 18 hole course so far out of town and the club allowed a small group to split off and create their own seperate entity--Dunwoody CC.  At that point my dad decided to move north and be the first golf pro of Dunwoody CC.

A few years later in 1973 Equitable Life Insurance Company was developing a huge golf and country club community even farther out in the boonies in Alpharetta, GA and needed a golf guy with a good reputation to run the place.  With barely two nickels to rub together my dad and a partner agreed to a 7 year lease from Equitable to run the golf course, country club, pool and tennis courts while the development was being built out.

Joe Lee was the architect and the course was built in 1973 and opened in 1974 with bermuda greens for the summer.  The opening was rushed since they needed some $$$ fast.  In the fall tupersan was applied to kill the bermuda and bent grass was planted.

Early on the course struggled a lot.  By 1980 my daad and his partner managed to buy out Equitable and in 1988 my dad bought out his partner.  There have been many ups and downs but the course struggled through and recent development and northside Atlanta growth have allowed the club to suceed.  We had a nice members course, a great location (by 1988) and a lot of luck.

My dad was injured while I was in college and died in 2003 the last 17 years of his life as a quadrapalegic :-[  When he passed my mother, sister and I had to either sell out or make a commitment/investment that would bring our course up to "snuff" so to speak with the competition around us.

Mike Riley was hired and we decided to try and build a unique look for Atlanta.  Influenced by my golf experiences and yes--this website--(I also always loved course architecture and had read everything Doak, Dye, Thomas and Darwin wrote and I loved the older courses) I asked Mike to not worry about making something that we traditionally think of as "commercially appealing".

I believed there was/is a market for interesting golf architecture at a low price in a real private club setting.  If we focus on the golf and keep the course in good shape the rest will take care of itself.

Honestly, we did a good job of communicating with the membership and they really just trusted us.  It was as simple as a matter of faith in what Mike and I were doing from my mother as well as the members.  While we have an advisory board I did not create a renovation committee. 

I was not the architect by any stretch as that was Mike Riley although the way the process went was that Mike and I were on site every day  (except 5 days)!! so it was extremely hands on.  We had an arrangement with Medalist Golf that after shaping bunkers or greens they would give us a couple of days to look at it, sleep on it and make any changes if we felt like it.  That process worked very well and I can not say enough good things about Mike Riley or Medalist Golf.  My club was certainly "small time" but both Mike and Medalist treated us like we were one of the "big boys" they often work for.

Of course some members wished for bright white sand and manicured bunker edges, wish we had spent money on fancy stone bridges and fountains in the lakes but quite honestly Mike and I were shocked at how 99% of the membership "bought in" to what we are doing.  My superintendent is shocked to this day about the lack of complaints when I add more fescue or more love grass on bunker edges!  So far we have been able to capitalize on our golf first focus and the interest of the golf course is truly unique for Atlanta.

On a very shameless note when Mike and I first spoke and he was getting a feel for what I was looking for and one thing I said was:

My dream is that when a golfer comes into town they will of course want to play AAC, Peachtree, ACC--all the "names" but I would love it if golfers "in the know" also would say something like this--you know, those courses are great and all but for a hidden gem that you've never heard of, try Rivermont.  It's certainly not fancy and the clubhouse needs some work, but for really cool golf, you ought to check it out."

I am not sure but early reports have been very positive about the course and Mike's green complexes are as good as any.

I know this a long post and I'm sorry but it really has been an amazing ride in the golf business. ;D

See you at Camargo.

Dan Herrmann

Chris,
Great post that describes great passion.  Congratulations!

I may look you up the next time I get down to our Atlanta office :)

Steve Kline

Chris that was a great post and not nearly long enough imo. That's a great family business story - which I love to hear as I work for my family's business which started in 1928. Now I'm really disappointed we couldn't play together last month, but I look forward to hearing more about it at Camargo.

Your club sounds like the kind of place I would love to be a member of, but there is nothing like that in Cincinnati that I can find.

The course looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing Kyle's back nine pictures.

Dan Herrmann

Ok -I'll challenge Chris and Kyle to see who can submit a "My Home Course" to Ran first - you or me.  Wayne's been (correctly) busting on me for 3 years to do a writeup of French Creek.  And I think Rivermont certainly also deserves such a writeup.

What do you think, guys? 

Scott_Burroughs

My dream is that when a golfer comes into town they will of course want to play AAC, Peachtree, ACC--
all the "names" but I would love it if golfers "in the know" also would say something like this--you
know, those courses are great and all but for a hidden gem that you've never heard of, try Rivermont. 
It's certainly not fancy and the clubhouse needs some work, but for really cool golf, you ought to check
it out."

I think you're on your way.

Here are the pics I took of Rivermont (some of which I've already shown before), taken in Winter:

In front of the bunker/ramp complex on #2:

Redan #4:

green

cool green on #6 (supposedly idea came from Winged Foot - East #9):

Punchbowl green on #9:

Huge false front on #13:

Uphill drive over bunker Benched into hillside #15 (kinda like Stonewall #16):

Dropshot par 3 #17:

Gary Daughters

Another great thing about Rivermont is that it will get better as the renovation continues to mature.  I had the pleasure last week of playing both Rivermont and the course known as "Augusta with hardwoods."  Rivermont won, no question.

The brownish sand, which is interesting visually, has a more interesting playability component; the ball won't spin, so that bunker is really a hazard.

A lot of courses seem to think that if they move a pin around it makes a huge difference, but at Rivermont that is truly so.  I'd like to play the course the day they set up the 18 toughest.

The real marvel is how Mike and Chris were able to incorporate Golden Age features so seamlessly.  In the wrong hands such an idea could have turned out ugly.  At Rivermont it works remarkably well.

Everything you see, especially little things, tells you the golf course is in great hands. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:47:33 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Kyle Christensen

All 18 holes are now posted. Thanks Chris for adding additional insight to the thread.

A.G._Crockett

I was finally able to get out to Rivermont today, and what a great experience, including finally meeting Chris Cupit.  I've liked everything of Mike Riley's that I've seen (including one of the courses that the club I belong to owns), but Rivermont is a really bold piece of work.  Chris and Mike are to be congratulated for taking a risk in the first place, but even more for pulling it off with tremendous style.  Believe me, it is even better than the pictures in this thread.

We played the back tees, and I had a blast getting my butt kicked.  I would echo the impression that you could play Rivermont every day and not get tired of it.  Visually stimulating, and the greens are just magnificent.  On #8, I had a putt that I swore was downhill until my playing partner made me come look at it from the other side of the green; then I understood why I left it short of each of my three attempts at it.

Chris, if you read this, I'd be curious to know where you got the bunker sand.  I've never seen anything quite like, and I liked it a lot for playing purposes as well as looking great.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Darren_Kilfara

I played the old Rivermont a lot when I was in high school, and Chris kindly showed me around the new version when I was last in Atlanta (which I believe was a few Christmases ago). All I can say is that Chris has proven that *any* course can be saved and converted into a wonderful piece of architecture that anyone here would love. I wouldn't have believed it were possible at Rivermont, of all places, but it really is!

Cheers,
Darren

Jim Nugent

I played the old Rivermont a lot when I was in high school, and Chris kindly showed me around the new version when I was last in Atlanta (which I believe was a few Christmases ago). All I can say is that Chris has proven that *any* course can be saved and converted into a wonderful piece of architecture that anyone here would love. I wouldn't have believed it were possible at Rivermont, of all places, but it really is!

Cheers,
Darren

Chris, if you do a My Home Course profile, some before and after pictures/analysis would be real interesting. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back