News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy Aisenberg

Re: What are the 5 non Top 100 Courses you most want to get back to
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
1)  Ballyhack - One of the best overall experiences I've had.  The atmosphere, the breath-taking vistas, the variety of challenges - I could go on for hours about this course.  I think this deserves to be on the "Top 5 RANKED Courses" I want to get back to, but no matter.

2)  Leatherstocking - My introduction to Devereux Emmet.  A pleasant surprise - I was smitten by the time I had reached the 3rd tee.  I know when it's special when I talk about "feeling" a course, rather than "playing" it.

3)  Bethpage (Red) -  Falls victim to being built next to the Black, but I'd give the Red's 1st and 18th holes the nod over its Black counterparts.  Also, if I'm there, there's a good chance my planned "Bethpage Tour" trip has been scheduled.

4)  Tobacco Road -  Love it or Hate it - you're certainly not bored.  Each time I play I find something new, whether it be a hidden challenge or yet another Love It / Hate It characteristic.

5)  Coudersport Golf Club -  Quirky little course in Northwest Pennsylvania that is as fun as any I have played.  Drivable Par Fours and reachable Par Fives, all with significant potential penalties.  Throw in mountainside elevation changes and one of the coziest 19th holes, and I'm appalled at myself for not making the 100 minute drive happen in several years.

Totally agree with Kevin - Ballyhack can sneak on this list only because enough raters haven't made it there yet.  It will be a top 100.

Also on my list;

Meadow Club
Tobacco Road
I will slide another Strantz course - Royal New Kent, onto the list.
Southport and Ainsdale

Paul Jones

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
Lookout Mountain - most underated course I have ever played.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
Those greens are awesome at Lookout, aren't they?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »
Austin Golf Club
Dormie Club
Rivermont
Squire Creek
Pine Dunes

Kyle I will agree with you on Pines Dunes and AGC, we need to make that happen. I will also add Twin Hills in OKC, Pecan Valley in San Antonio, and Tulsa Country Club.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
Paxon Hollow GC - old stomping grounds when I was kid... would love to see recent work done to the course
Rolling Green - Been too long since I've played RG.
Wichita CC
Omaha CC
Wilshire CC

Jim Franklin

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
1. Rock Creek Cattle
2. The Alotian
3. Ballyneal
4. Black Mesa
5. Kingsley
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
Jim:

The real issue is why the five courses you mentioned are NOT in the top 100 ! ;D

Michael Blake:

Interesting listing.

Can tell you this -- plenty of things have changed with a few of the courses you mentioned -- some good / some less than good.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
Matt -

That is a VERY good question. They are all deserving.
Mr Hurricane

Tim Martin

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
Francis Byrne Golf Course
Galloping Hill Golf Course
Weequahic Park Golf Course
Hendricks Field Golf Course
Flanders Valley (Red-Gold, White-Blue)

Grew-up playing those as a 12 yr old to 20 yr old and never really appreciated how unique they were.  Haven't played them in 20 years.

Need to take a drive to visit Mom a few times this spring and play them again.  Great memories.

Michael-No shortage of characters hanging around Weequahic Park in Newark. Great choice.

Michael Blake

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
Tim,

No Kidding!  There was always a good chance SOMEONE on the course was going to get mugged.
(Reminds me of another city course I frequently used to play while at college in Philly.)

Matt,

I'm curious about those changes since I've last played there.  And to which coures.  Can you elaborate?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
Michael:

A quick sampling of comments ...

Francis Byrne Golf Course -- has been improved since the low points several years ago -- could use a major makeover with the righjt architect in tow. Likely not going to happen. A pity.

Galloping Hill Golf Course  -- Smart move by the county to have Kemper Mgmt enter the scene. Possibilities exist for a really superb 2011 golf season as meaningful efforts for the first time are being done.

Weequahic Park Golf Course -- shape was good this year -- the issue is the layout needs a bit of upgrading. Essex County simply does the bare bones stuff.

Hendricks Field Golf Course -- Too much play and too little effort in trying to improve what is there.

Flanders Valley (Red-Gold, White-Blue) -- Never understood the fanfare attached to the place. Above average holes in spots but generally pedestrian design.

Michael Blake

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks Matt.

If I remember correctly, Flanders (White-Blue) was a highly-ranked NJ public course back in the '80's-before the building of resort publics and CCFAD types.  Do you remember if was very highly regarded back then?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
Michael:

FV had plenty of hype -- it's one of the very few courses to have hosted both the Men's and Women's Amateur Public Links.

The Blue & White are two above average nines but the overall state of Jersey public golf hit the launch pad in the mid to late 80's. Now FV is more in the middle of the pack. For those looking for a nicely conditioned layout with some holes of note -- it's fine. In Doak terms -- no more than a 4 in my book and I'm being generous because it's the holiday season. ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »
Littlestone - should be GB&I top 100
Pyle & Kenfig - back nine as good as it gets
Flossmoor - knocking on the door of top 100 classics
Knole Park - lovely deer parkland course
Royal Hobart - probably top 100 Oz
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2010, 09:39:44 AM »
Wolf Point
Sheep Ranch
Eisenhower Blue
Royal Worlington & Newmarket
Stone Eagle (the more I learn, the more underrated I think it is)

Ben,

Good call on Royal Worlington, I was thinking about it only earlier today.

And I missed off Cavendish, but The Yank Arble has already mentioned there...

As I said, too many to choose from and certainly more fun than discussing those in (any) top 100!

Cheers,

James

Boony

Your one and only job for early summer is to organize a fine day at Cavendish on a weekend (or at worst a Friday). 

I lied, you are also obligated to organize a game at ----- once all is in order - on a weekend.

I lied again....

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
3 to start with in north of Scotland

Elgin - reminiscent of Rosemount with its surround of birch and fir trees but a better course IMHO. 10 holes over 400 yards only one of which is a par 5 suggest that it might be a slog for some but you never feel you're getting beaten up, just challenged. Other features include some great old green complexes and good heathland type turf.

Moray Old - only played it once on a shitty day towards the end of the year but saw enough to look forward to going back (if you know what I mean). At first glance a fairly flat links but lots of variety in green complexes etc. No comparison to the much tamer Moray New which is OK.

Duff House Royal - MacKenzie design with the best set of 18 greens that I've ever played on. Admittedly I need to get out more but these greens really are good. For the wide fairway brigade who like uncluttered fairways and angle of attack dictated purely by the greens this is for you. Also very nice free draining turf.

A couple down in Ayrshire;

Prestwick St Nicholas - its been too long since I last was there and I'm itching to see if its as good as I remember. Admittedly uneven out and back links course with the most interesting land (plenty of rumple) being near the clubhouse and the flatter ground out the far end. I recall short driveable par 4's, gorse and heather, and one of the most dangerous holes I've ever played. Need to get back there.

Darley - the second municipal at Troon. While it may be a links course, you get no sea views and the course is variously bordered by housing, a railway, two schools and a cemetery and you have to cross a busy public road twice. Sounds great doesn't it ? I could also mention that the last time I played it the litter problem on the course was shocking as was the problem of dog walkers not clearing up after their mutt. For all that though it is a cracking wee (?) course with plenty of undulations, loads of variety in holes, heather, gorse and greens that are invariably in very good nick.

Niall

PThomas

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2010, 04:04:45 PM »
Lookout Mountain - way under the radar

Desert Highlands - could be in the Top 100

Stone Eagle - best course I've played in that area

Meadow Club - a cool course in a great spot

Ross course at F Lick - WICKED greens!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:21:01 PM by Paul Thomas »
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Will Peterson

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
Timuquana CC - Jacksonville, FL

Sara Bay CC - Sarasota, FL

Blue Mound GC - Milwaukee, WI

Maple Bluff CC - Madison, WI

Kinderlou Forest - Valdosta, GA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back