News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Mine would be:

Western Gailles
Royal Cinque Ports
County Louth
Guillane 1
Glenview Club

Bill_McBride

Re: What are the 5 non Top 100 Courses you most want to get back to
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
Pennard, Elie, Golspie, La Cumbre, Tokatee.

Painswick  ;D ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
Good question.

The Rim
Mauna Kea
Paa-Ko Ridge
Knollwood (Chicago)
The Bridges at RSF

Subject to editing.

kconway

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
matt,

i am member of Knollwood...if you come to chicago let me know.

kelly

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »
I had to go check out a list online because I'm not sure about what is and isn't top 100 in the world.  I'm shocked that Whistling Straits is #40 on the 2007 Golf list.  It probably wouldn't have been on my top 5 non-100 that I wanted to get back to.  It seems way too high on that list for my taste.

Banff
Pasatiempo
MPCC Shore
Yale
Wild Horse

Still many more non-100 that I haven't played that I'd want to get to before I return to some of these.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
I had to go check out a list online because I'm not sure about what is and isn't top 100 in the world.  I'm shocked that Whistling Straits is #40 on the 2007 Golf list.  It probably wouldn't have been on my top 5 non-100 that I wanted to get back to.  It seems way too high on that list for my taste.

Banff
Pasatiempo
MPCC Shore
Yale
Wild Horse

Still many more non-100 that I haven't played that I'd want to get to before I return to some of these.

Tim, I suspect Pasatiempo has or will re-enter the Top 100 list.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
I am assuming courses not top 100 in the world, GB&I or US.  I will pick ones I don't get to see on a yearly basis and I am assuming Brora & Machrihanish are top 100.  

Old Town
Tenby
Perranporth
Lakewood Shores
Princes

Ciao

I think Old Town and Princes are now top 100 something so off they must go.  I will stay with Tenby, Lakewood Shores and Perraporth as I haven't seen them since the original post.  I will add Cavendish and U of M.

Ciao

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:43:54 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

Banff
Pasatiempo
MPCC Shore
Yale
Wild Horse

Tim, I suspect Pasatiempo has or will re-enter the Top 100 list.

Agreed.

I would say Wilshire would be one for me.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JeffTodd

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »
Bethpage Red
Inniscrone (I hated it the first time, but I played it blind and they had no yardage guides. Might not hate it the second time).
Yale
Tavistock (would like to see the renovation work)
Port Royal (Bermuda) Thought it was a blast to play and would like to see it when it reopens next season.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
This is an interesting thread. Here are five courses outside of the top 100 that I really enjoy and would love to play again:

1. Idle Hour CC. This course blew me away the only time I played it. The renovation was fantastic. Totally the biggest surprise of '07 for me. If you're in Lexington for some reason, do what you can to play here.
2. Raleigh CC. I used to be a member here. It's a really fun Ross course. And I'd get to see several old friends in the Triangle.
3. Kirtland CC. This one has been discussed some on here. Another old-school course that has gotten a facelift. Very cool place.
4. Oak Ridge CC. While I get out here pretty much every year (thanks, Jason), I think it is the most underexposed/underrated course in the Twin Cities.
5. Plantation course at Kapalua. Playing here would mean I was again on Maui. And that's not a bad thing.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
Interesting that for me the golf courses that first come to mind might not be entirely because of the golf...

1.  The Rawls Course...Lubbock is the home of one of my best friends...I can't wait to get back there and see him again.

2.  Peru Muni... a small quirky ragtag course in Peru IN where I learned to play the game with my grandmother..I always look forward to going back there.

3.  A small pitch and putt just next to Lahinch.  Have been there twice...family loves it and playing there means I am getting ready to play my one of my favorite courses (Lahinch) in the world.

4.  Thousand Oaks in Grand Rapids...pretty good golf...but being there will mean that I am starting a weeklong vacation with my best golfing buddies next May touring through Northern MI again.

5.  Austin Golf Club (is this top 100?)....I had a fabulous experience there and have learned so much about GCA since my last trip 6 yrs ago that I'd like to see it again to more fully appreciate it.

Bart

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:59:36 PM by Bart Bradley »

kconway

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »
need to add more...Formby

I thought Formby was a really special place

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
I have an overseas membership at Westward Ho! It is not the best course in the world but it certainly is one of the great places to play golf.

The European Club is top 100 but it is special place and the welcome I get from Pat Ruddy and his family makes me feel at home.

I love the Island course in Ireland

St. Enodoc is not on the list but could be.  What a great place ot play.

I don't think Shoreacres is on the list but it is very special and would baack there in a flash.

Ballyliffen would be on that list as well.  I could spend many days there.  In fact I have.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
FWIW...Golf Magazine ranks Pasatiempo 55 and Yale 75.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
And Formby, St Enodoc TEC are all rated quite highly in GB&I.

I hope more people reply as these are the kind of threads which give me ideas on where to play when I make the odd or one off visit to a place.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:18:16 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »

I'll remove my nominations if needed.  The criteria wasn't laid out very clearly and when I saw courses from around the world being posted, I assumed we were talking World 100 rather than US 100.  I should probably remove Banff as well as it is certainly Top 100 Canada or North America or otherwise.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
US list only:

In the Phila. area Manufacturers G&CC and Philadelphia Cricket once all of the tree clearing and restoration is done. 

Would also like to see Omaha CC and Metairie CC to see their restorations.

And in California, would like to go back to Wilshire CC.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »
Kington, Pitreavie, Papago, Berkhamsted and Castle Combe.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ed Oden

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
Since the various top 100 lists are so different, I've excluded courses which appear on any of them, including both the Golfweek classic and modern lists.  In no particular order:

1.  Diamond Creek - Even though I can play there anytime, I can't wait to return.
2.  Morris County CC - I played there many times as a kid and would love to see the recent restoration.
3.  MPCC Dunes - Played there many years ago and would love to see it again.
4.  Firestone South - I know it takes flack on this board, but I really liked it.
5.  Deepdale - I enjoyed the course.  Plus, if I am playing Deepdale then it likely means I am on my way further out LI to play some more celebrated courses again.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »
In  no particular order:
Applebrook (PA)
Monroe (NY)
Beechtree (MD)
Bull's Bay (SC)
Columbia-Edgewater (OR)

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

I'll remove my nominations if needed.  The criteria wasn't laid out very clearly and when I saw courses from around the world being posted, I assumed we were talking World 100 rather than US 100.  I should probably remove Banff as well as it is certainly Top 100 Canada or North America or otherwise.

Obviously no need to remove your nominations.  Just thought I would mention the Golf Magazine rankings.  BTW playing Yale Thursday and very much looking forward to it.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
MPCC Dunes and Shore- how can these not be in the top 100? Maybe the members quietly enjoy the omission knowing what they have.I would add Carne , Dooks, and Skokie.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »
I'm going to do a regional non top 100 top 5, from the greater Philadelphia area:

1.  Inniscrone (hey, Jim Coleman, please respond now how much you hate this course!)
2.  Cobb's Creek (AFTER restoration, ;)  )
3.  Lederach
4.  Pilgrim's Oak
5.  Merion West

==========
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
MPCC Shore is in the Golf Digest Top 100, and Paa-Ko Ridge and The Rim both make the top 50 modern for GolfWeek.

My top five that are not on any of the lists that I'm aware of:

Lakota Canyon Ranch
Colorado GC
Cougar Canyon
Aldarra
South Bend CC

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
I'm going to do a regional non top 100 top 5, from the greater Philadelphia area:

1.  Inniscrone (hey, Jim Coleman, please respond now how much you hate this course!)
2.  Cobb's Creek (AFTER restoration, ;)  )
3.  Lederach
4.  Pilgrim's Oak
5.  Merion West

==========

Joe

Lederach would have been my #6.  Talk to me about Inniscrone - sounds interesting.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back