News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: What's Wrong with Firm and Fast of the 1950s?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:15 AM »

Well, I do agree that f&f is a matter of degree and relative. 

I absolutely do not agree that controlling runout is matter of luck. 
Then it's your stated opinion that the random/varied terrain has no impact on the roll of the ball ?

Sure, as with any shot, there is an element of luck, but I think it is generally far more skillful to choose a landing spot and then determine the runout.

But, there's more certainty and less luck in the aerial game.

This is why good players choose the aerial route - its generally easier to predict and execute. 

Then the same would have to apply to lesser skilled players
[/color]

There are plenty of good courses over here that really don't play any shorter in the summer because the sensible player knows his limitations and accepts that a layup is the sensible option - thereby gaining no advantage in distance off the tee. 

Would you say that that's true of TOC, Troon, Prestwick, Western Gales, Gulane, Muirfield and Carnoustie ?
[/color]

Beau Desert strikes me as a great example.  Many of the fairways turn at the landing zones away from harsh rough and trees.  Sure, if you can shape the drive well then Bob's yer uncle.  However, if you are offline with this aggressive play there is a good chance you will not see that ball again.   To be honest, I think Beau would benefit from tree/rough removal to encourage folks to risk the driver option, but I don't hold any sway at the club.

It sounds as though the culprit is doglegs, not F&F.
But, I'm not familiar with Beau Desert so I'm not qualified to comment.
[/color]   

So far as well aimed and well struck shots being punished, it happens all the time.  Its called over-clubbing - which happens to be a very prevalent mistake in f&f conditions. 

Well aimed and well struck shots are called great shots.

Over-clubbing is far, far, far rarer than under-clubbing.
It's in the great minority.
[/color]

Basically, guys don't properly estimate the runout - which is a skill.

After the first hole, why would they improperly estimate the runout unless the ground is inconsistent, which is one of the strongest arguments for the aerial game.
[/color]

I would generally rather approach from 150 rather than 180 - for sure, but it depends on the risks involved to get to 150.  I am saying that often times those risks are increased in f&f conditions because the runout has to be properly gauged. 

But, the golfer has to go through the same mental exercise in determining club selection when playing the aerial game.  The runout game has a large aerial component.  It starts with the aerial game and transitions to the runout game.  If you know you have to hit the ball 150 to get to 180 you select your 150 club, it's that simple.

You're overcomplicating it
[/color]

Otherwise, on well designed courses, there is often trouble ahead such as bunkers, rough, blind shot, awkward stance, or simply a bad angle into the green. 

I'm afraid I don't understand you on this point.
Are you saying that on well designed courses the features become more penal as you get closer to the green ?

Can you identify 5 courses with that configuration ?
[/color]

So, the way your question was posed carried little meaning in this debate. 

Only if you didn't understand it.
[/color]

Pat

I am saying that so called random and varied terrain doesn't effect grounders.  I am saying that the vast majority of these types of shots are predictable.  Its just that they are often more difficult to pull off than an aerial shot because folks don't take the time to learn what happens when the ball is played on the floor.  Its often a standby shot when in certain circumstances an aerial shot seems more dangerous and/or less predictable.   must stress that I do agree that there is more certainty with aerial golf, but I don't believe the role of luck plays any greater or lesser part with either type of shot. 

I still think you are failing to understand my point.  When conditions are f&f it often brings into play elements of a hole that are often ignored - such as where the fairway turns.  Most folks can't reach the point of trouble in normal circumstances.  Once a thinking player realizes that more trouble is in play than usual he may often elect to layup - thereby gaining no extra distance.  Again, recall that we are talking about good courses for which f&f conditions are taken into account for the design.  Often times a problem occurs these days where f&f conditions may prevail, but the course is permanently setup for softer conditions are conditions with little wind. 

I agree that under- clubbing is a the most often made mistake for the average golfer, but I also contend that over-clubbing increases with f&f conditions - which is part of my point.  Golfers don't take the time to learn courses when they are f&f.  They usually site words like luck or impossible which we all know isn't the case - its a lack of skill which is the problem.  Again, playing the ball on the ground is a highly skillful way of playing golf, but most folks in our age of carrying the ball massive distances don't give it much credit - mores the pity.

I also agree that players must go through a similar mental approach whether the play the ball in the air or on the ground.  The main difference  and difficulty for most is visualizing the landing zones.  In f&f conditions these zones are blurred if will.  Partly because of unfamiliarity with these areas of the course and partly due to losing a measure a good measure of how far the ball will travel after hitting the ground.  There is often uncertainty beyond the presented landing zone.  Hence the reason guys layup.  They are playing to the known parts of the course.  This is all part of the reason why I thought Tiger's performance at Hoylake was masterful.  He accepted that distance wasn't the issue and that normal distances and visual cues didn't apply to nearly the same degree as in the aerial game.  It still amazes me that no other players cued into this, perhaps it was a lack of experience.  In which case, shows how very rare true f&f conditions are these days.  Its a real shame. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 06:25:29 AM »
Pat

Sean speaks with wisdom.  Try listening to what he says.  I know this might be tough for you, but pretty please? ;)

If you have watched any recent Opens you will have seen multiple layups off the tee by all of the top players.  Tiger's masterful performances at Hoylake and St. Andrews (2000) were just the epitome of that art.

John

It all depends on what sort of high handicapper you are.  If you hit the ball short (let's say 180 yard carry with the driver) but straight and can't reach any greens but the short-medium par threes, I'll concede that fast and firm might help you get more GIRs and score better.  On the other hand, if you are a high handicapper who hits the ball fairly long (say 220 yard carry) but crooked, fast and firm is going to eat your lunch.  Firstly,your crooked shots are going to go much further crooked.  Secondly, even your fairly straight shots are going to travel closer to the hazards which are mostly designed to foil the better player.  Thirdly, unless you are the very rare high handicapper who can spin the ball with his irons, you are going to have to land short of many/most greens on your approach shots and on a very small landing spot if you hope to hit and hold the green.

Mark

That's a good general formula.  It fits my experience too.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 07:19:33 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »
"Yes.
F&F in Boynton Beach, Florida is different from F&F in the UK."

No shit, Sherlock. F&F in the UK is 50-100 of bounce and rollout and F&F in Boynton Beach Florida is in a bikini. Nevertheless, it's still hard to figure out which one it's easier to control balls on.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »
I want to try and ask us to get back to my original question:  Many of the courses built in the 1950s and 1960s were built with firm and fast conditions in mind as they did not have today's sophisticated watering systems.  Nearly every par 4 or par 5 would have an opening so a ball could roll up on to the green.  Although many on this site love firm and fast conditions and the requisite architecture, the architecture of the era I am speaking of us not looked upon as being good quality - why not?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

I am saying that so called random and varied terrain doesn't effect grounders. 

In order for that to happen the ground would have to be perfectly flat, which, we know it isn't.
[/color]

I am saying that the vast majority of these types of shots are predictable. 

If they were consistently predictable, more golfers would play that way, but, they don't, because the aerial game is far more predictable.
[/color]

Its just that they are often more difficult to pull off than an aerial shot because folks don't take the time to learn what happens when the ball is played on the floor. 

I disagree.
I think most golfers learn by experience, and once and/or repeatedly burned by a randomly hopping ball, gravitate toward the aerial game.

The other reason to favor the aerial game is the inconsistancy of the turf, whereas the air is highly consistent.  The aerial game removes the inconsistencies.
[/color]

Its often a standby shot when in certain circumstances an aerial shot seems more dangerous and/or less predictable.   must stress that I do agree that there is more certainty with aerial golf, but I don't believe the role of luck plays any greater or lesser part with either type of shot.

There's no luck with an aerial shot unless you hit a bird in flight.
[/color]

I still think you are failing to understand my point.  When conditions are f&f it often brings into play elements of a hole that are often ignored - such as where the fairway turns. 

That's a seperate issue.
Obviously hitting through a dogleg is problematic and exacerbated by F&F.
Club selection becomes the critical factor.
[/color]

Most folks can't reach the point of trouble in normal circumstances.  Once a thinking player realizes that more trouble is in play than usual he may often elect to layup - thereby gaining no extra distance.  Again, recall that we are talking about good courses for which f&f conditions are taken into account for the design.  Often times a problem occurs these days where f&f conditions may prevail, but the course is permanently setup for softer conditions are conditions with little wind. 

Are there that many dogleg holes on Links courses ?
[/color]

I agree that under- clubbing is a the most often made mistake for the average golfer, but I also contend that over-clubbing increases with f&f conditions - which is part of my point. 

While I understand that, you're choosing to ignore the cause and effect elements and forgetting about the drive, which sets up the play of the hole.

Under F&F the ball will go farther, leaving you a shorter distance to the green, thus reducing the likelihood of over clubbing.
[/color]

Golfers don't take the time to learn courses when they are f&f. 

But, if they're F&F all the time, how can then NOT learn how to play them ?
[/color]

They usually site words like luck or impossible which we all know isn't the case - its a lack of skill which is the problem.  Again, playing the ball on the ground is a highly skillful way of playing golf, but most folks in our age of carrying the ball massive distances don't give it much credit - mores the pity.

I've always felt that the way to play a hole is probably indicated by the way the best golfers in the world play it, the PGA Tour Pros.  If they play aerial on a hole, then that's the way to go.

While the ground game is a tool, it's not the only tool in the golfers repetoire.
[/color]

I also agree that players must go through a similar mental approach whether the play the ball in the air or on the ground.  The main difference  and difficulty for most is visualizing the landing zones. 

Aren't the landing zones closer and thus more easily recognized ?
[/color]

In f&f conditions these zones are blurred if will.  Partly because of unfamiliarity with these areas of the course and partly due to losing a measure a good measure of how far the ball will travel after hitting the ground.  There is often uncertainty beyond the presented landing zone.  Hence the reason guys layup.  They are playing to the known parts of the course. 

I must admit, I'm puzzled.
How can golfers, having grown up playing these conditions, draw the blank you allude to.  It doesn't make sense.  Is experience NOT a teacher ?
[/color]

This is all part of the reason why I thought Tiger's performance at Hoylake was masterful.  He accepted that distance wasn't the issue and that normal distances and visual cues didn't apply to nearly the same degree as in the aerial game. 
It still amazes me that no other players cued into this, perhaps it was a lack of experience.  In which case, shows how very rare true f&f conditions are these days.  Its a real shame.

I don't know if they didn't cue into it, or that they cued into it and couldn't execute as precisely as Tiger.
[/color] 

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 07:57:02 PM »

I am saying that so called random and varied terrain doesn't effect grounders. 

In order for that to happen the ground would have to be perfectly flat, which, we know it isn't.
[/color]

I am saying that the vast majority of these types of shots are predictable. 

If they were consistently predictable, more golfers would play that way, but, they don't, because the aerial game is far more predictable.
[/color]

Its just that they are often more difficult to pull off than an aerial shot because folks don't take the time to learn what happens when the ball is played on the floor. 

I disagree.
I think most golfers learn by experience, and once and/or repeatedly burned by a randomly hopping ball, gravitate toward the aerial game.

The other reason to favor the aerial game is the inconsistancy of the turf, whereas the air is highly consistent.  The aerial game removes the inconsistencies.
[/color]

Its often a standby shot when in certain circumstances an aerial shot seems more dangerous and/or less predictable.   must stress that I do agree that there is more certainty with aerial golf, but I don't believe the role of luck plays any greater or lesser part with either type of shot.

There's no luck with an aerial shot unless you hit a bird in flight.
[/color]

I still think you are failing to understand my point.  When conditions are f&f it often brings into play elements of a hole that are often ignored - such as where the fairway turns. 

That's a seperate issue.
Obviously hitting through a dogleg is problematic and exacerbated by F&F.
Club selection becomes the critical factor.
[/color]

Most folks can't reach the point of trouble in normal circumstances.  Once a thinking player realizes that more trouble is in play than usual he may often elect to layup - thereby gaining no extra distance.  Again, recall that we are talking about good courses for which f&f conditions are taken into account for the design.  Often times a problem occurs these days where f&f conditions may prevail, but the course is permanently setup for softer conditions are conditions with little wind. 

Are there that many dogleg holes on Links courses ?
[/color]

I agree that under- clubbing is a the most often made mistake for the average golfer, but I also contend that over-clubbing increases with f&f conditions - which is part of my point. 

While I understand that, you're choosing to ignore the cause and effect elements and forgetting about the drive, which sets up the play of the hole.

Under F&F the ball will go farther, leaving you a shorter distance to the green, thus reducing the likelihood of over clubbing.
[/color]

Golfers don't take the time to learn courses when they are f&f. 

But, if they're F&F all the time, how can then NOT learn how to play them ?
[/color]

They usually site words like luck or impossible which we all know isn't the case - its a lack of skill which is the problem.  Again, playing the ball on the ground is a highly skillful way of playing golf, but most folks in our age of carrying the ball massive distances don't give it much credit - mores the pity.

I've always felt that the way to play a hole is probably indicated by the way the best golfers in the world play it, the PGA Tour Pros.  If they play aerial on a hole, then that's the way to go.

While the ground game is a tool, it's not the only tool in the golfers repetoire.
[/color]

I also agree that players must go through a similar mental approach whether the play the ball in the air or on the ground.  The main difference  and difficulty for most is visualizing the landing zones. 

Aren't the landing zones closer and thus more easily recognized ?
[/color]

In f&f conditions these zones are blurred if will.  Partly because of unfamiliarity with these areas of the course and partly due to losing a measure a good measure of how far the ball will travel after hitting the ground.  There is often uncertainty beyond the presented landing zone.  Hence the reason guys layup.  They are playing to the known parts of the course. 

I must admit, I'm puzzled.
How can golfers, having grown up playing these conditions, draw the blank you allude to.  It doesn't make sense.  Is experience NOT a teacher ?
[/color]

This is all part of the reason why I thought Tiger's performance at Hoylake was masterful.  He accepted that distance wasn't the issue and that normal distances and visual cues didn't apply to nearly the same degree as in the aerial game. 
It still amazes me that no other players cued into this, perhaps it was a lack of experience.  In which case, shows how very rare true f&f conditions are these days.  Its a real shame.

I don't know if they didn't cue into it, or that they cued into it and couldn't execute as precisely as Tiger.
[/color] 

Pat

Nevermind.  It doesn't really matter. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dieter Jones

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »
My home course plays GSS (green, soft, slow) now that we have access to recycled water and a fancy new irrigation system. The turf is in good condition but in my opinion overwatered a little.

This morning it played WFS (white, firm and slow). It was 0.5 degrees Celcius when I teed off and the whole course was icy white. It was fascinating to play though because the greens were rock hard. Where the pins were back you needed to land it mid green at most to find the hole. When the pins were up front you need to skip them in from just short. The main point was that on the holes with short pins tucked behind bunkers you had to be in the right part of the fairway to have a chance of getting close. Normally you can get say a 6 iron up to stop pretty quickly so placement in the fairway is less important.

It was a toally different (better, more challenging, stategic) course. If only we could play firmer outside of the odd frozen winters day. I don't know if this was how the designer intended it to play but I liked that part of it.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

[/color] 

Pat,

nice to see you know which style of the game requires the greater skill

Pat

Nevermind.  It doesn't really matter. 

Ciao
[/quote]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back