News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

A Profile in Courage
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
It would be well to refresh memories for those who saw the original post and to re-read the article.

See:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08167/890057-13.stm

I met Eric Knapp on Sunday morning prior to his teeing off at Pebble Beach. We had a chat and we arranged to play his last round of golf on the Peninsula today on the Shore Course at MPCC. His brother made up our threesome.

In the meantime I kept up with his scores and was astounded to hear that  he shot a one over 73 at Spyglass and followed up with a four over 76 at Pebble. Today he was two under after twelve holes but fatigue and severe pain saw him fall away to something in the high seventies. I must say it was an rather disconcerting to know that, in extremis,  he could still give me a shot a hole and wax me.

I wish the Tree House gang could have shared our round today, as down the road we will all make the same journey as Eric. He made me realize that bickering over the genesis of a certain golf club or bashing some poor rater over access, is as nothing in the scheme of things.

I learned a great deal about courage today, I certainly hope that I have what he has when the time comes.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

Re: A Profile in Courage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »

In the meantime I kept up with his scores and was astounded to hear that  he shot a one over 73 at Spyglass and followed up with a four over 76 at Pebble. Today he was two under after twelve holes but fatigue and severe pain saw him fall away to something in the high seventies. I must say it was an rather disconcerting to know that, in extremis,  he could still give me a shot a hole and wax me.

Bob,

When was the last time anyone shot in the seventies, gave you 18 shots and came out on the plus side of a bet? 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for posting and allowing us to share the round through your description.

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
Bob,

Thanks very much for posting the story about  Eric Knapp. It is both moving
and apropos 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:15:11 PM by mark chalfant »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »
Mr. Huntley - so many people travel down the road that Mr. Knapp is travelling. It's wonderful that he can experience things that elevate what remains of his time in the way that he is. My own mother travelled to Scotland and Mexico and Canada over the course of two years after doctors told her she wouldn't make six months. My father in law maintained an incredibly positive attitude right up until the brain cancer took him. Watching people go through that can't help but build perspective, and make you value even more highly the things in life that you enjoy.......even if it IS bickering over the history of a particular golf club !

Thanks for the article, and your own personal perspective on your experiences together. It looks like you both were, in some way, lucky men today.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »

Bob,

When was the last time anyone shot in the seventies, gave you 18 shots and came out on the plus side of a bet? 

John,

Quite recently,a bunch. I am disconsolate. Help.

Bob

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »
It would be well to refresh memories for those who saw the original post and to re-read the article.

See:

I met Eric Knapp on Sunday morning prior to his teeing off at Pebble Beach. We had a chat and we arranged to play his last round of golf on the Peninsula today on the Shore Course at MPCC. His brother made up our threesome.

I wish the Tree House gang could have shared our round today, as down the road we will all make the same journey as Eric. He made me realize that bickering over the genesis of a certain golf club or bashing some poor rater over access, is as nothing in the scheme of things.

I learned a great deal about courage today, I certainly hope that I have what he has when the time comes.

Bob

Bob:
As always you know how to put everything into the proper perspective. Thanks for sharing this.
Best
Dave

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Bob,

Perhaps on a different scale, your story reminds me of the autistic kid last year that scored some 20 points in the last five minutes of his high school basketball game.

Stories like that, and yours, really put things in perspective and to be able to play with Eric must have really been a blessing for you.

This is proof that it is never worth giving up.

Cheers,
Jordan

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Bob, thank you for sharing this. This certainly put things in the proper perspective. I only hope if I ever face something like that I can deal with it with the same attitude.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jed Peters

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
Definitely thanks for the post.

Good times.

It's just too bad the guy didn't get a round in at Cypress!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:07 PM »

It's just too bad the guy didn't get a round in at Cypress!

Maybe the man wants to die with dignity.

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »

See:

Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much for this thread.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
Bob -- Thanks for this. A wonderful gesture on your part as well.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »

Bob,

Thank you for posting this story.

This discussion group is really about people who love this game and the places they play and it is very heartwarming to see Eric have that experience on the Monterey Peninsula. It also says a lot about you!  Thanks again.

Bob Jenkins

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »
I hope everyone reads this thread and the accompanying one as well. I just became friends with Eric somewhat recently through a mutual friend. His story is amazing, and he has handled a difficult situation - about as difficult as they get - with remarkable courage and grace.

I feel very lucky to know Eric, and to know many of the wonderful posters on this site as well. Even folks who are only internet acquaintances can still be friends, thanks to Ran and Co.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your kindness, Bob.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
I hope everyone reads this thread and the accompanying one as well. I just became friends with Eric somewhat recently through a mutual friend. His story is amazing, and he has handled a difficult situation - about as difficult as they get - with remarkable courage and grace.

I feel very lucky to know Eric, and to know many of the wonderful posters on this site as well. Even folks who are only internet acquaintances can still be friends, thanks to Ran and Co.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your kindness, Bob.

George,

Not to take anything away from your new friend but have you known anyone who went through something like this without courage and grace?  I think that is what made the Bubble Boy episode of Seinfield such a classic.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for sharing this story.  It says alot about this young man, as well as about you.

It does tend to put things in perspective, doesn't it.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »
George,

Not to take anything away from your new friend but have you known anyone who went through something like this without courage and grace?  I think that is what made the Bubble Boy episode of Seinfield such a classic.

The contrast isn't so much with people who go through situations like Eric's - it's with everyday folks who do not appreciate the joys of living life. I think a lot of people fall into that category, sadly.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for sharing this. It reminds me to accept the trivial for what it is, and not dare take today for granted.

Wyatt

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
Great story, Bob.  Thanks for making us remember how precious life is...and for giving us a real someone we can point to and praise their true courage.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:39:19 PM by Jay Flemma »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
I find it difficult to live everyday as it is my last and not come off as a freak.

JohnV

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Bob,

Sorry I missed you and Eric.  I was at MPCC officiating the CWAC Girls Junior at the Dunes course.

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2022, 03:54:53 PM »
Apologies for bumping an old thread, I just thought some might find this interesting. [size=78%](I haven't posted much for two years, as my business has really been struggling during and post-pandemic.)[/size]

But last year, I took JohnK's advice and started just playing more. Not a lot, by most on here's standards, but more than I had. And the course I have played the most is the one owned by the late Eric Knapp. His course ended up being purchased by a friend of mine and Eric's children. I'm happy to say that Eric's son Christian has assumed the role of primary owner and operator. Christian is a terrific guy, in his early 30s (guessing) and he has done a great job keeping the course up and running.

Eric bought the course many years ago when it was just a 9 holer, and expanded it to 18. It's not a course that would fit the "standards" of many on here - in a hilly part of the Burgh, it's pretty much unwalkable. And it's very penal, in the sense that a wayward drive or shot is generally lost and results in penalty shots and drops. There are more than a few blind shots, and the 18th plays directly into the setting sun, which can and does cause problems.

But it has become a home of sorts for me. I'm thrilled just to be playing more, and if Eric's family benefits, so much the better. I've told many people I've played with about my experiences with Eric. I also told Christian that Eric has a bunch of fans who never met him, and directed him to the discussion threads, but I don't know if he ever looked in. I suppose that even now, some 13 years later, it's probably a bit painful for him.

Again, sorry for bumping an old thread, just thought some might find it interesting. It pains me to see Sir Bob's posts and know I'll never get to meet him, but I did have a wonderful phone call with him regarding the above story. I'm happy that I could connect two special people.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 05:10:09 AM »
Much has been made of the (astonishing) fact that Churchill, Truman and Stalin were all in power when QE2 acceded the throne. At a markedly less serious level, Bobby Locke was her first Open Champion, and he had of course played in the championship prior to WW2.

In so many ways, this truly is the end of an era.

George,

Richard posted this on the "Queen's Thread" which is marking her passing. Your update to this thread is a very nice story of keeping Bob's legacy alive. Obviously very few people knew The Queen, but so many of us knew, played with, and enjoyed getting ripped in the complicated WOLF matches with "Uncle Bob". Your post is a nice tribute to read in the early AM.

Good luck to the Knapp family with the golf course, and to you and your family.

Thanks for posting.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2022, 10:20:34 AM »
 8)

When I miss a shot tomorrow will think of Eric rather  than bitch about it!

God bless him with more strength

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back