News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Bunkering on HVCC #4
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Huntingdon Valley this past weekend.  Most of the holes either have no fairway bunkers or only an isolated one here and there.  But on #4, there are a series of bunkers running along the left side all the way to the green.  Here is a picture:

I don't recall any other bunker "clusters" like that on the course.  For those in the know, are these original to Flynn's design or were they later additions?

By the way, the course is terrific.  But even more impressive was the warm hospitality shown by the club and the membership to a traveling stranger.

Ed

Mike_Cirba

Re: Bunkering on HVCC #4
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »
Ed,

This was almost a Flynn template, as seen at Philly CC #1 and quite a number of other holes Wayne Morrison would mention if he were here. 

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »
Mike, thanks for the response.  Isn't it a bit unusual to only see that type of cluster bunkering on one hole?  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the hole, including the bunkers.  I just thought the cluster on #4 stood out a little from the bunkers on the other Flynn holes.

Ed

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:03 PM »
Ed,

This was almost a Flynn template, as seen at Philly CC #1 and quite a number of other holes Wayne Morrison would mention if he were here. 

Pine Valley #13 I think Mike?  (I think it is #13, if not it is #12).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob Harris

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
Add the 16th at Lancaster CC to the list.  There is also a bunker on the right side which narrows the fairway to less than 20 yards if you're not laying up.

http://www.lancastercc.com/default.aspx?p=CourseHole&vnf=0&ssid=0&view=l2&crsID=877&hole=7

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:50 PM »
Flynn did do this kind of hole and bunker arrangement a number of times. I've always liked HVGC's #4 a lot because the drive's direction is very deceptive and you can't see the fairway from the tee. I remember some years ago the trees had really grown in on the right basically blocking out a drive to the right which is actually ideal. Most people think a drive right is in trouble on this hole but when you get down there it's generally ideal and the right place to come in from.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back