News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Manuel

Adjacent Tee Boxes
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:02:31 AM »
At my home club the 2nd and 18th tee boxes are adjacent, roughly 10 feet between them.  We currently have arborvitae standing 12-15 feet high that are dying (along with being a maintenance nightmare).  We have talked about different solutions and I wondered how many good courses have adjacent tee boxes with nothing separating them other than grass and make it work?  I have seen flowers, small fences and other assorted barriers all used in various places.

A great course that makes it work is certainly Inverness.

As additional information, Ross didn't design the entire course but he did design these two holes.  No idea what he originally intended as a barrier or if he meant for it to be open.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The golf ball is like a woman, you have to talk it on the off chance it might listen.

Robert Emmons

Re: Adjacent Tee Boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
Why do you need to separate them? Huntington has the same situation for thier 2nd and 18th and both tees flow into each other on this 1910 Emmet...RHE

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
You have endless examples in Britain of the same tees being used for two holes... 5th and 8th on St. Andrews Eden... 4th and 15th on North Berwick etc...

The only real need to seperate them that I can see is that it slows down the pace as people wait for others to play... If there is a visual barrier, then golfers are far less likely to be aware of other shots that are about to be played...

However, as a feature, I am a fan...

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »
To add length to a couple of holes at my home course, we are cutting down landscape screening and doubling up some tees. It will only involve the back tees in each case. I think it is a great idea.

Bob

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
Besides being easier to maintain, a cleverly designed double box can permit tee locations that make both holes more interesting.

WW

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »
!0 and 12 at Oakmont

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
They just showed a great one at Interlachen. I think 18 and...I don't know. I'm guessing 9? They were actually connected. Why would someone want to separate them with a hedge?

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:01 PM »
The 1st and 8th tees share the same boomerang shaped tee box at Prairie Dunes.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
1 and 8 at Prairie Dunes
9 and 12 at Taconic

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »
To add some length to my course we play the tips for #11 from the front of the 18th tee and we play the 18th tips from the front of #11 tee. These two holes go in just about opposite directions!   :P

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »
The 5th and 16th tees on MPCC's Shore Course(Strantz) are contiguous. We just wait for the first group who were on a tee to drive off and then do our thing.

Even with a hedge, one would still wait, as the sound of a Nike driver being used twenty feet away is a frightening thing.

Bob

Dan Kelly

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 07:40:56 PM »
They just showed a great one at Interlachen. I think 18 and...I don't know. I'm guessing 9? They were actually connected. Why would someone want to separate them with a hedge?

18 and 11 (or, in everyday play, 9 and 2).

I suppose guys who jump the fence might be confused, but I don't we need to worry too much about them.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Gerry B

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
here are a few that come to mind:

9 and 13 at chicago golf club and  7 and 15 at shoreacres - they seem to work just fine

olympia fields south 12 and 16 pre renovation had shared tee boxes - can't comment on what the set up is now as i have not been there this year

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
Mayfield Country Club, a course w/ little architectural merit in western KY, has the ultimate in adjacent tee boxes.  Three holes (4, 8, 18) share a single tee box.  And it's not especially large.

Holston Hills has a couple of tee boxes (12 & 18) that are close together but not quite adjacent.  These work fine.  Rather sociable & I think better than trying to hide the tee next door.  You're better off knowing if the guy on the tee next door has a Nike driver out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back