News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Gorski

Course fees double...
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
For those that may be interested, here's an excerpt from the Ballyneal newsletter sent out today:

"With the completion of all facilities that support the golf experience at Ballyneal and to insure that Ballyneal will always be able to deliver to its members the Ballyneal Experience they have come to cherish during our first two seasons, we are raising the initiation deposit to $100,000.00 starting August 4th.

Until August 4th, the current offering for membership at $50K will be honored, provided we have received your membership application before August 4."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:06:50 AM by Tony Gorski »

Bob_Huntley

Re: Ballyneal goes from $50k to $100k...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »

For those that may be interested, here's an excerpt from the Ballyneal newsletter sent out today:

"With the completion of all facilities that support the golf experience at Ballyneal and to insure that Ballyneal will always be able to deliver to its members the Ballyneal Experience they have come to cherish during our first two seasons, we are raising the initiation deposit to $100,000.00 starting August 4th.

Until August 4th, the current offering for membership at $50K will be honored, provided we have received your membership application before August 4."

What an ominous date, World War I started on that day in 1914.

I hope the new initiates don't get blown out of the water.

Bob

Tony Gorski

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »

Wow - i would have thought a 100% price increase would have spurred more discussion.

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
Tony, there may be no increase at all.  I don't have specifics, but it is possible they are doing this to create a sense of urgency.  If they have several folks on the fence or in the pipeline it might serve the purpose of getting them to join.

Tony Gorski

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »

Thanks John.  I'm probably classified as one of them.  I live in Denver, have played it, and love it.  I'm very interested to hear what our fellow GCA members think...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:52:55 PM by Tony Gorski »

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »
anyone else not comfortable with this thread? I don't like seeing this stuff, even if true and even if somewhat common knowledge.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
anyone else not comfortable with this thread? I don't like seeing this stuff, even if true and even if somewhat common knowledge.

a couple GCAers are members, so i'm guessing they will weigh in...
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
I have a few members as friends and my feelings have nothing to do with that. Just don't think it is very appropriate for any club, particularly in the title. Maybe its just me.

Tony Gorski

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

Hi Sean -

Sorry I offended as that was far from my intent.  I love Ballyneal.  Given all the threads on business models as of late..........and one of the best new courses doubling rates is very interesting.  Nothing more behind the post.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:52:18 PM »
John Conley must not know Rupert very well. This is happening and was predicted early on by Cary Lichtenstein when he encouraged people to gobble up the memberships when they were 35k.

I understand Sean's point and is exactly why I didn't post this tidbit. It's club business and while BN is sort of a child of this website, some things are just better left offline.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony Gorski

Re: Ballyneal doubles...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the G2 Adam.  I did not know.  Then let's kill this thread.

Adam Clayman

Re: Ballyneal doubles...
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »
Tony, It's out there, so there's no reason to delete the thread. You can of course change the title, if you choose.
 From my vantage point the course is worth the extra dough.
But what do I know?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean Leary

Re: Course fees double...
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:41 AM »
No worries Tony. I believe the course is worth it as well.

Adam summed up my feelings perfectly.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:55 AM »
I'm glad Tony posted this information, and certainly don't think he needs to apologize for it. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:59 AM »
When I first joined Enniscrone, there was the trailer park next to 17, but I really don't remember seeing any of these buildings around 18 or in the distance:

The tiny amount that I paid for a membership to Enniscrone cannot possibly sustain economic reality from creeping in.

As JakaB often says, your pay for private golf to keep people off your course. With remote golf you pay to keep development away from your course. At Ballyneal, you are paying to keep development away. Is there any updates on the concept of a second 18? I personally would want the place to thrive just the way it is today for the members here and elsewhere.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »
Yes Mike, Rupert is keen on many more playing Options. He's even considering a 5700 yard quirky masterpiece.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »
Anyone considering joining Ballyneal should join in a heartbeat. If I didn't have medical issues regarding walking, I'd be a member already.

It will truly be classified as one of the best of all time.

I don't have a nickle in this pony
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
Mike, I too hope Ballyneal thrives.  I figured it is thriving, and that is why they are able to raise their fee.  Is that wrong? 

tlavin

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Mike, I too hope Ballyneal thrives.  I figured it is thriving, and that is why they are able to raise their fee.  Is that wrong? 

A substantial raise in the initiation fee often does a very effective job in getting people "off the fence" and makes them write the check.  In a national club like Ballyneal, I'm sure that this will have the desired effect of beefing up the roster a lot quicker than otherwise.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 06:14:06 AM »
Yes Mike, Rupert is keen on many more playing Options. He's even considering a 5700 yard quirky masterpiece.

Having never been to Ballyneal, but having a login on GCA.com, I offer the following advice to Rupert. I fear that 18 is too expensive for this type of experiment.

I would build a clearly junior 9 such as they have at World Woods, Maidstone and Sleepy Hollow. If by chance it is a busy morning, you warm up on the junior 9, tired at the end of the day - you go to the junior 9. Play it with irons only, mad scrambles where everyone is trying to hit every green with driver, could be a blast.

If I was looking at courses to model holes/themes, I would go to my two favorite 6000 yard courses, Merion West and Cape Arundle. Study and then build Walter Travis style greens. You need an architect who understands old, will not charge too much and is a change of pace from Tom Doak. He will basically live in a sleeping bag. My choice would be Ian Andrew, who I have never met. He just seems like he would be the perfect fit.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »
Mike, You are either on the same page as Rupert or have inside info. One of the visions is to make any new courses @ Ballyneal more family friendly. I'm not sure a nine holer's been discussed but certainly a par 3 course has.

If you are ever nearby and would like to be sponsored please don't hesitate to ask.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back