News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

and forcing players to think as Pete Dye advocates, shouldn't we also criticize architectural elements that eliminate such options notwithstanding the presence of short grass?   Ironically, three examples from Great Britain come to mind:  1) Rye's sleepers;  2) the two grassed alpine hillocks right of Royal Dornoch's 16th green; and 3) the low grass covered mounds right of Brora's 6th green.

Many people are questioning these features.  Not me, but many people.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Thomas Dai

Variety and options. I don't even mind a little bit of US Open style rough circa 1970-2010 near to greens on an occasional basis. But no more than on an occasional basis. Trends may come and go but variety and options are nice in golf.
Atb

Carl Johnson

and forcing players to think as Pete Dye advocates, shouldn't we also criticize architectural elements that eliminate such options notwithstanding the presence of short grass?   Ironically, three examples from Great Britain come to mind:  1) Rye's sleepers;  2) the two grassed alpine hillocks right of Royal Dornoch's 16th green; and 3) the low grass covered mounds right of Brora's 6th green.

Mike

Mike, my question won't take.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:58:43 PM by Carl Johnson »

Jason Thurman

I see what you did there.

Isn't it possible that feature can limit options on a single shot, while also injecting overall variety into the round? It strikes me that the sleepers at Rye do just that - in their absence, players may use the same low running shot or putt from short grass off the green for the majority of their greenside recovery plays. With the sleepers in place, occasionally the player will find situations where a more lofted shot is more prudent.

I want options in a course, but the options don't need to be unlimited. I like features that weigh on a player's mind as he's considering his available choices. The sleepers at Rye seem to do just that - they don't mandate any single shot, but they do require a player take into account that any shot he plays will need to get at least 5 or 6 inches off the ground. Flop, chip, or pitch.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back