News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Is this the future of golf?
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
http://golfweek.com/2016/08/28/boynes-longtime-golf-boss-shaking-things-michigan/

I am in agreement with some - use less water. no need to follow USGA rules, score optional, relaxed dress code...On the other hand music, slow play ok...not so much.

E P Purmort

Re: Is this the future of golf?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
I'm good with courses doing whatever works for them. The market will speak to whether they are doing it right. Sounds like that is what he is doing in a way. Boyne dominates the area's public offerings so I'm not surprised they are fairly accepting as they are playing a volume game.

As regards your preferences, Cliff.... You haven't lived a complete life on the links until you've arrived on the 18th green after a 5 hour 45 minute round and you overhear the group teeing off on 1 playing "Heart of Glass" by Blondie on their bluetooth speakers.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »
I thought long rounds is why millennials didn't play golf. Now it's okay because they're having fun. (I actually agree with this, not that I ever want to play 5 hour rounds).

Never understood the jeans thing, are people actually interested in playing golf in jeans?

"Heck, Friedrich is even considering making scorecards optional. “Not having to post a score is a lot more fun than having to grind,” he said."

Who's making you keep score now?

Philip Hensley

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:55:47 PM »
The biggest takeaway from this article, and probably the only thing that's actually made a difference, is the dynamic pricing model. I think that will be the future of golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
Please note that Golfweak ran this article twice. Are they about done yet?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
What I find so interesting is that Golfweek was always the one publication to represent the excellence of amateur golf. Publishing results from ever the most obscure tournaments. No one cared but it was a great service to the game. Look where we are at now. A senseless article that pretends that the guy behind the counter ever counted your clubs or made sure you kept score. I'm honestly confused what agenda they are trying to push if they have any agenda at all.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
I think this is great.
Why?

Resorts like Boyne can be magnets for the kind of golfers that I want nothing to do with.... ;D
Let them all feel wonderful together while they listen to music, ride carts, wear jeans and take 5:17 to play some over-priced Art Hills course.

I'll be over at Belvedere carrying my bag and paying $70 for a 8:10 am tee time on a Friday in July!

Let the "basket of deplorables"... ;) ;D ....have their venue with their rules and their pace of play.
Works for me.

Charles Lund

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
There are issues of trying to be all things to all people.

This is a good golf complex with challenging courses.  I have a hard time thinking how they can blend cultures with different agendas.  There are aspects of respecting the course,  respecting other players,  and respecting the game that are important.

I don't have an issue with the game being fun for people. But some people have idea of fun that is oblivious to others.

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back