News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Tracing the 2nd Golden Age
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:04:29 PM »

If we are/were in a Second Golden Age of golf course architecture, what would be the seminal event?  A book?  A course?  An architect or team of architects?

What would be the arc of this important era in gca?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Phil_the_Author

Re: Tracing the 2nd Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
Although I wouldn't say it began with the ranking of Shadow Creek among the top ten by Golf Digest in 1990, I would say that this was the identifying mark that a new "Golden Age" was now underway.

To be able to say that a brand new course could and should be considered among the finest ever made was a bold statement, whether it was true or not.

I believe that freedom of expression for many architects has occurred since that time and that is why we are seeing courses such as at Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes, Wade Hampton, Victoria National, Whistling Straights and Kinloch. All of these courses, along with Shadow Creek now at #27, are ranked in Golf Digest's Top 30 courses in America and opened between 1990 and 2001.

Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs in New Zealand, and Kingsbarns in Scotland jump out among others of the top 30 on GD's International list.

I chose the GD list because they rank the courses as one, classic against modern. This clearly demonstrates that we are in an age, a golden age of course design where some of the new can and will stand up to both the tests of the great classic courses and time itself...

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
I would think that Sand Hills would be a more suitable candidate for a course that catalyzed the second golden age.

Assuming that the 'naturalist/minimalist' design pilosophy is the essence of the new golden age, I wouldn't necessarily think that Shadow Creek was the inspiration for so many of the great courses that have been built over the last 10-15 years. However, I know not of which I speak and have never played either Sand Hills or Shadow Creek.   
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
Jeff,

You missed my point. I didn't state that Shadow Creek "was the inspiration for so many of the great courses that have been built over the last 10-15 years." I said that Golf Digest's RANKING of Shadow Creek in the Top Ten after it was opened showed that it was permissable for golf courses and those that designed, built and paid for them could aspire to greatness.

I am not declaring Shadow Creek as the course that set a standard, rather I am stating that the way it was recognized did.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Phillip,

I see and agree with your point regarding Shadow Creek. It was the first course that allowed the rankings systems to accept a modern course. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Shadow Creek opened the door for a very different style of modern GCA, which placed emphasis on the golf course as a visual medium first (and sometimes only).

In direct regard to rankings, I believe the publications were thrown off of the scent for many years until the next Renaissance/Golden Age2 was palatable. I think Crystal Downs is the perfect example of this. Let's face it, we are all aware that this site and its contributors still represent the overwhelming minority.

To Gary's original question: If Sand Hills is accepted as the beginning of the arc, then the last fourteen years can be considered one hell of a start....The Bandon courses, Kingsley, Ballyneal...the list could go on.

I can only hope the arc continues upward without a pinnacle in sight.

WH

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
I might argue if there was such a 2nd Golden Age, it was Pete Dye who inspired it!  Everyone else followed his lead to do something different but with ties back to classic golf.  

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »

In direct regard to rankings, I believe the publications were thrown off of the scent for many years until the next Renaissance/Golden Age2 was palatable. I think Crystal Downs is the perfect example of this.
WH

And NGLA.  In the early 80's, nowhere to be found in the GD top 100 list.  Recently ranked as high as what, #8 or so?

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:59:23 PM »
If we're into a 2nd Golden Age, I'd say a lot of it has to do with the "look" of architecture----eg trying to return far more to the look of naturalism. Probably the best expression of that is attempt to return to a more natural look with bunkering.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:00:57 PM by TEPaul »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

In direct regard to rankings, I believe the publications were thrown off of the scent for many years until the next Renaissance/Golden Age2 was palatable. I think Crystal Downs is the perfect example of this.
WH

And NGLA.  In the early 80's, nowhere to be found in the GD top 100 list.  Recently ranked as high as what, #8 or so?

Just for the sake of clarity.  Crystal Downs was not included in the top 100 until it had the required number of panelist visits.  To be included in the top 100 rankings for GD a course now needs 40 ratings. I believe that goes to 50 next year.  This is to preclude courses making the list because of a few over zealous panelists.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
Think about the influence of Pete Dye.  He broke the mold that Flynn among others started with the introduction of the aerial game followed by the likes of Wilson and of course RTJones.  It was Dye who helped mix things up when he re-introduced quirky features, classic/alternate lines of play, the ground game with integrated approaches (at times but not always), and so on.  Dye was a revolutionary and lead the way.  He was followed by C&C with their break through design at Sand Hills which turned heads about natural rugged looking designs.  Many others shared the stage including Tom Fazio who took landscaping to the highest level and demonstrated that no budget is safe when he builds a golf course.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »
Pete Dye = Old Tom Morris

Doak, Coore et al = Tillie, CBMac, Alis Mac., Colt, etc.....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
Phillip,

I see and agree with your point regarding Shadow Creek. It was the first course that allowed the rankings systems to accept a modern course. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Shadow Creek opened the door for a very different style of modern GCA, which placed emphasis on the golf course as a visual medium first (and sometimes only).

In direct regard to rankings, I believe the publications were thrown off of the scent for many years until the next Renaissance/Golden Age2 was palatable. I think Crystal Downs is the perfect example of this. Let's face it, we are all aware that this site and its contributors still represent the overwhelming minority.

To Gary's original question: If Sand Hills is accepted as the beginning of the arc, then the last fourteen years can be considered one hell of a start....The Bandon courses, Kingsley, Ballyneal...the list could go on.

I can only hope the arc continues upward without a pinnacle in sight.

WH

I disagree with this premise.  For example, Muirfield Village was greeted with immediate high-acclaim and vaulted it's way into the top-10 in several publications' rankings within a few years after its creation in the mid-'70's. 

If anything, I'd argue we might be winding down the 2nd Golden Age.  The first Golden Age coincided with an enormous "boom" of the game - and the development of an unprecedented number of golf courses.  The same type of golf course construction boom has occurred in the past 10-15 years and is now winding down.  I'd venture to guess we are in a period similar to the early-mid 1930's, whereas a few years ago we were in the "Roaring '20's"...

Gary Daughters

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
"If we're into a 2nd Golden Age, I'd say a lot of it has to do with the "look" of architecture----eg trying to return far more to the look of naturalism. Probably the best expression of that is attempt to return to a more natural look with bunkering."

Tom,

I won't argue with the merits of your post, but I think it's interesting you frame your thoughts purely in terms of aesthetics.  What about "strategic options?"
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »
I think the most significant (single) event in modern golf architecture is the award of the US Open to Chambers Bay. That single event will forever mark a point in time when the modern movement crossed a line. While Dye and many others — Sand Hills, Bandon, etc. — led up to this point, it has taken this moment to establish a threshold.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Phil Benedict

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 05:09:42 PM »
I think the most significant (single) event in modern golf architecture is the award of the US Open to Chambers Bay. That single event will forever mark a point in time when the modern movement crossed a line. While Dye and many others — Sand Hills, Bandon, etc. — led up to this point, it has taken this moment to establish a threshold.

Forrest,

Why is Chambers Bay more significant than, say, the PGA going to Whistling Straits?  Is it the additional street cred that comes from the USGA versus PGA of America?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »
Yes, Phil, I think so. The national championship of the US is a more significant event.

Again, I do feel that lots of work and decisions led up to this point. But, the award of Chambers to host a US Open marks a flash point that, in my view, will forever change the stature that can be given to modern era courses.

Some of the Chambers hallmarks:

• Municipal (non-private..."for the people")
• Reclamation
• Created, not found
• Creative, not totally a re-hash of "classic" design
• Modern
• A product of the USA
• Involved Massive Earthwork
• Environmentally Oriented

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »
Forrest, do you think that the Chambers Bay Open would have happened if Bethpage hadn't been the extreme success that it was? Wouldn't you say that the movement you refer to more correctly began with bethpage being awarded it?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
Eventually, yes. I am confident that Bethpage helped. So did Torrey Pines. Chambers, however, is a far different decision — it took balls. Big ones.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back