News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Routing for the Entrance & the Reveal
« on: November 25, 2023, 09:05:14 AM »
Just got done reading Creating Calusa Pines by John Strawn. A wonderful in-depth history of how the club was found and developed. Highly recommend it to the group.

Late in the book the writer expounds at length on the details that go into the access to the clubhouse / course and the initial views. It got me thinking how much effort goes into this process and how it effects the overall experience. I just returned from a recent trip to Chechessee. I always love the drive in where you see #13 and get a glimpse of #12 & #10 as you approach the clubhouse.  Then after check-in, you walk out towards the practice area and all is revealed. What a great feeling.

For the group, what others have a great entrance & reveal and to the pro's at this, how much effort is put into this?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 09:36:26 AM by John Foley »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Ronald Montesano

Re: Routing for the Entrance & the Reveal
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 05:36:50 PM »
If you have excess land, you build for this. If you are a resort or a national club, you MUST do this. Publics and local privates probably don't have the space.

One exception: Country Club of Troy (NY) stands out. If you ever play there, be sure to enter from Brunswick Road, and not from Pinewoods Avenue.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Country+Club+of+Troy/@42.7243727,-73.6418035,987m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89de0577db8293f1:0xb88cbcf52d7dce0f!8m2!3d42.724022!4d-73.6399689!16s%2Fg%2F1tmbx35t?entry=ttu
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 08:27:49 PM »
Love the entrance to Chechessee but even grander IMHO is Yeamans Hall...although I gather the entrance was redone decades ago during the Depression (almost a century ago...how time flies) when the club sold off land originally intended for a 2nd 18 hole track but sold off to Iraqis needed cash in the 30's.

In any case, the current entry gate and dirt road is simply perfect!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 11:26:47 PM »
Not sure if it "counts" or not, but I've always been partial to Bandon Resort via the south entrance.  Drive thru forest for 1/2 -3/4 mile and then you start seeing glimpses of BT here and there thru the trees.  And it seems to increase around every bend and turn until you realize you gotta keep your eyes peeled for golfers teeing off or crossing the road.  Pretty magical in my book

Tim Fitz

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 12:56:36 AM »
Here in Chicago it is tough to beat the entrance to Shoreacres, with a slow countdown of holes 3, 2 and 1 as you drive the windy road in.  After all the work done a few years ago, standing by the 18th and 9th greens after you have arrived at the pro shop, you can see quite a bit of the course laid out in front of you, which is a pretty great reveal.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 02:14:38 AM »
Notts / Hollinwell is pretty hard to beat for a grand entrance.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 05:16:15 AM »
I am partial to the entrance to Musgrove Mill. After a six-hour drive to get there, the 1/2 mile drive through the woods creates anticipation, knowing I will not leave the compound for the next number of days. That drive is a barrier to the outside world and a cacoon that envelops me.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 08:44:59 AM »
Notts / Hollinwell is pretty hard to beat for a grand entrance.

You must never have been to the National Golf Links of America!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 08:48:44 AM »
Not sure if it "counts" or not, but I've always been partial to Bandon Resort via the south entrance.  Drive thru forest for 1/2 -3/4 mile and then you start seeing glimpses of BT here and there thru the trees.  And it seems to increase around every bend and turn until you realize you gotta keep your eyes peeled for golfers teeing off or crossing the road.  Pretty magical in my book

That entrance was designed by Howard McKee, who was Mr. Keiser's partner in the resort and did all of the permitting.  He was particularly proud of it.

The problem was that 90-95% of guests are coming from the north [North Bend airport or driving from Portland/Seattle] and they aren't going to drive a mile further south on 101 to take a more relaxed entrance in.

For part of the construction of Pacific Dunes, we had a rental house in Bandon, and came in the south entrance every day.  I think we counted it at 33 turns.  So, while it's a relaxing entrance for first-time visitors, it doesn't have the same effect when you are trying to get to work every morning.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 08:55:13 AM »
One of the longest and most protracted entrances has to be Dismal River. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the paving.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »
I’m a fan of the entrance to Yale. You make your way up wooded Conrad Drive which runs out at the entrance to the golf course and marked by a set of stone pillars and a wrought iron gate. As you continue to the clubhouse on the tree lined drive you get a glimpse of the driving range and then make an S turn left where the 10th and 18th holes are revealed. As you get closer to the clubhouse the 1st and 2nd holes come into view and you start to get a sense of the scale of the golf course. It has always amazed me that this piece of land sits in the city limit of New Haven as no other tract in the city compares IMO.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 09:34:18 AM »
Although often impractical and not great from a safety perspective, I like entrances where you drive through the course - particularly those where you drive through a fairway.  Woodhill near my house has a memorable entrance. 

Ornate entrances tell me the club/course is making up for something. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
Although often impractical and not great from a safety perspective, I like entrances where you drive through the course - particularly those where you drive through a fairway.  Woodhill near my house has a memorable entrance. 

Ornate entrances tell me the club/course is making up for something.

The entrance road into Vesper CC goes right through the 296 yard opening par four. Ross built a wild green and surrounds to give the shortish hole plenty of intrigue.

John Blain

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
I always thought the drive into Oak Hill CC in Rochester is beautiful and one that was rarely talked about. It's called Chapin Way and it is a beautiful drive that gives great eye candy to holes 5 through 9.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 02:30:53 PM »
If you have excess land, you build for this. If you are a resort or a national club, you MUST do this.

Sure it's ideal, but it seems to me that this would be the lowest possible priority? Is there anything worth sacrificing to obtain a grand entrance and reveal?

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 03:58:54 PM »
My favorite entrance is Newport Country Club. Turn in the gate and it is a straight shot to the bag drop. The spectacular clubhouse is a few hundred yards in front of you, and it is the only building in sight. Most of the front 9 is visible to your right, and beyond that, the ocean. To your left you can see holes 9-12. It somehow manages to be both incredibly simple and extravagant at the same time.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2023, 04:01:36 PM »

That entrance was designed by Howard McKee, who was Mr. Keiser's partner in the resort and did all of the permitting.  He was particularly proud of it.

The problem was that 90-95% of guests are coming from the north [North Bend airport or driving from Portland/Seattle] and they aren't going to drive a mile further south on 101 to take a more relaxed entrance in.

For part of the construction of Pacific Dunes, we had a rental house in Bandon, and came in the south entrance every day.  I think we counted it at 33 turns.  So, while it's a relaxing entrance for first-time visitors, it doesn't have the same effect when you are trying to get to work every morning.

Tom,

In that scenario, yes I could imagine being sick to death of the twisties. I would have used the east entrance just on general principle.  ;)

P.S.  I had always assumed they put the road in after BT was built, but clearly it was there before. Did Bill bitch much about being forced to go over the road twice (assuming the starting point was fixed)?  or perhaps he really wanted to incorporate the dunes on 1-2 and 18 and didn't mind?  Looking at Google Maps looks like he could have used more of the land to the west, but perhaps Mike already knew he wanted the epic short course to go there?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back