News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Paired With A Douche Bag
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 10:42:21 AM »
Dan - thanks. I imagined that hypothetical poster on that hypothetical discussion board as being not a bad guy at all, and probably not a very good golfer either; in short, as someone who is generally understanding of and gentle with other golfers' failings (e.g. the fat punched 4 iron),  except when said other golfer's supercilious preciousness gets under his skin. And how did I know about your 4 irons, Dan? Well, you is me!

Peter 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
I give up, enjoy this forum and all the bullshit arguments about nothing, I've had enough.  I would have already deleted my account if that was still allowed.

Mike, think of it this way:

If everybody quit who was offended by something John Kavanaugh said at one time or another, there wouldn't be anybody left on this forum!  ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
I am not afraid to say that Ryan Simper is a friend of mine ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
I am not afraid to say that Ryan Simper is a friend of mine ...

Ryan also friend of mine long time.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
I give up, enjoy this forum and all the bullshit arguments about nothing, I've had enough.  I would have already deleted my account if that was still allowed.

Mike, think of it this way:

If everybody quit who was offended by something John Kavanaugh said at one time or another, there wouldn't be anybody left on this forum!  ;)

Mike,

Bill is right on this one...JK has shooed off more than his fair share of people from this website.  So you really should take his criticms with a grain of salt, as he does it to everyone.  If anything you can offically feel welcomed to the site when JK spews something out of his backside in your general direction.  ;D

As for my horror story it would have to be when I was playing a course in cali.  So as to protect this thread from nuclear meltdown, I won't mention thier race, but it was an ugly first 7 holes before the marshall kicked them off the couse.

3 guys, 2 golf bags, with about 5 clubs in each bag.  Yeah you do the math...it was pretty brutal because they all had to follow each other to play, and it was shanking galore  On the green it was the funniest because they would each wait for the other guy to get finished with the putter so they could take thier turn.  When the marshall caught up to them, I wish I had a camera, because the look on his face was of complete be-wilderment.  Needless to say there were complete beginners and had no clue.  But they were promptly booted off the course. 

In retrospect its kinda funny thinking about it now, but at the time it sure sucked!!

John Kirk

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:55 PM »
John,

What would you call a guy who walks off the course because he didn't like where you were standing when he putts?  I am on topic calling Mike out.

What good are we as golfers if we don't protect the field from breaches of etiquette as well as rules infractions?  I am simply trying to help Mike learn about his hurtful language as I have learned myself from people on this site I have offended.

I do hope Mike got a refund for being paired with such douche bags...at least for the back nine.

John,

A perfectly reasonable response to my objection.  I am generally non-confrontational, and would rather put up with poor etiquette for one round, write it off as a bad experience, and then avoid the offenders the next time.  Earlier, you wrote:

"Another example of Asian golf hate.   Walking off the course because someone is standing in your peripheral vision is irresponsible race baiting behavior."

May I suggest the following alternate approach:

"Mike, I'm offended by that statement.  Why is it important to identify these golfers as Asian?"

You thereby take ownership of the sentiment, rather than present a universal, authoritative fact.  I believe that would have offended him less.

On the other hand, if you're suggesting to Mike Golden how he might correct his thinking in this matter, you're probably going to tell the man standing in your putting line to please move away.

I'll return to my hole now, as I usually shy away from character discussions.  After all, I'm doing exactly what I'm preaching against, which is trying to tell my fellow man how to conduct his affairs.  With one exception.  I reserve the right to politely tell Matt Ward I can analyze golf courses as well as he can, even though he's seen 5 times as many as I have.

John_Conley

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »

Ryan also friend of mine long time.

Insensitivity knows no limits.

Dan King

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
I used to belong to a club. There was one member that liked to play golf with us. I guess because we were close to the same ability. He was around a six but he thought he was much better than that. He was a reasonably nice guy, but every time something would happen somewhere in the round -- a bad break, someone making a long putt, missing a fairway -- that would drive him insane and he would blow up and then be miserable the rest of the round.

It used to make us miserable when he was miserable. But then we started betting on when he would blow. Someone would pick 1-6, someone else get 7-12 and someone 13-18. It seemed the person who had those six holes would play better during that time, trying to get him to blow up.

Someone always got paid, and it as never unclear when he would blow.

I don't believe I've ever been offended by JohnnyK, but then maybe I missed it.

Cheers,
Dan King
It is a test of temper, a trial of honour, a revealer of character. It means going into God's out of doors. getting close to nature, fresh air and exercise, a sweeping of mental cobwebs and a genuine relaxation of tired tissues.
  --David Forgan

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »

I'll return to my hole now, as I usually shy away from character discussions.  After all, I'm doing exactly what I'm preaching against, which is trying to tell my fellow man how to conduct his affairs.  With one exception.  I reserve the right to politely tell Matt Ward I can analyze golf courses as well as he can, even though he's seen 5 times as many as I have.

John:--my favorite post of the year so far.

Bart

Doug Siebert

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 01:43:47 AM »
Barney:

I acknowledge the Asian-hating problem in golf, and agree with you that it exists and is more widespread than people here want to admit.

However, isn't it really an age and sex thing, too?

I've noticed that young male Asians get a pass.

Golf's dirty little secret that few like to admit is that it is probably one of the most racist and sexist pastimes, despite all the Tiger Woods rainbow hype.  At the very least its still very stereotypical and judgemental.

I haven't ever really seen any anti-black racism on the course (maybe its different elsewhere, or maybe it is due to their small participation where I live) but man, get behind a group of Asians and listen to the comments fly, even if they can't go anywhere due to the group(s) in front of them.  Ditto if you get behind a group of women, or sometimes even a group with one woman.  A group of younger men will think groups of old men play slow, a group of old men will think a group of young men are drunk on the course if they see one of them drink one beer.

I'm not saying this is universal, but I hear a lot more stereotyping comments based on someone's race or gender on the golf course than I do in a bar, for instance.

I live in a university town that's probably going to vote 3:1 for Obama, so its pretty liberal and probably less racist than most places, so I have to think that either it is worse in other areas that are a little less PC or that people view the golf course as an acceptable outlet for things they'd normally stop themselves from saying.

Dunno where it comes from.  While I certainly have seen slow Asian and slow women golfers, I don't see them in numbers exceeding the amount of slow white male golfers relate to their respective numbers on the course.  And those slow white male golfers come in all shapes and ages: old, young, fit and fat.

Just to admit I'm no angel I have own bias against middle aged fat cigar smoking cart riders.  I don't think they are any slower than any other types of golfers, I just sometimes secretly wish heart attacks on them when I find they have discarded a half chewed slobbery cigar butt on the teebox! :-*
My hovercraft is full of eels.

corey miller

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »

I think a mistake is being made if you somehow equate how someone votes in a presidential election with their opinions of others on a golf course or even society in general. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:35 AM »
Doug,

Thank you.  I was recently paired with a gentleman at Santa Anita in California who is a retired professional type with a decent game.  It took about two holes for him to ask where I was from and begin to explain to me the Asian problem he sees ruining golf for him in his area.  According to him the Koreans hae infiltrated the area to the point they are driving white people from the public courses, schools and job market.  God forbid, he said they are even starting to own their own courses simply through numbers.  When I asked him how his views were any different than the anti-semitic views against Jewish golfers in the early part of the last century he said he had never thought of it that way.  His only defense was....It's just different this time.  Is it?

Dave_Miller

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
I'm sure everyone has nightmare stories about a pairing. My worst ever was today. I was invited to play at a public facility by a friend to play in a mens day outing. My foursome consisted of myself , friend, stranger, and stranger . Hndcps 10, 12 ,19, and 3. the 3 stated before we teed off that we would be rolling them in the fairways because of the soggy fairways. On the 2nd hole said 3 Hndcper is a fairway over and lift clean and places. No big deal its a friendly game. On the the 6th hole the poor 19 hndcpr is verbally chastized for taking an improper drop after hitting into a lateral and is wrongly advised by the 3 that he must hit from the same position as his previous shot. This led to them tracking back 170yds. Being a distance away I didn't know what transpired until after the fact. On 7 my ball came to rest on the edge of a cart path. As i prepared to take my drop said 3 stated it would cost me a stroke as only relief of stance is allowed when asphalt paths are concerned. The fact that I was only 1 over at this point, I became unglued and stated  the rule regarding relief of swing and stance. This alleged 3 was quite confrontational and said you must take a stroke. As he was a very large individual I let it ride. Had I been 20 yrs younger I would have wrapped a 1 iron around his neck. If I had SAS training I would kill him with my barehands.Where is Bob Huntley when I need him? ;D Instead I stewed and shot 40 on the front 9 .The 3 shot 51 and quit after 9 stating he just didn't have it today. Some days it pays to play with people you know and respect not to mention people who respect the game enough to at least have a vague knowledge of the rules.  Jack

Jack:
Two years ago at a US Open Qualifier in Rhode Island I was working as the starter on the first hole. One of the players, an amateur, claimed a handicap of plus four (+4).  This was a swing I wanted to see. 
When the player teed off he popped the tee shot about 50 yards then hit a low slice for his second shot.  This player dropped out after 9 holes shooting 59 for nine holes. 
Idiots like this unfortunately proliferate everywhere.   He must have been related to your 3 ;)
Best
Dave

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »
John - send some of those folks out here - there are some clubs here that could really use members.  They could save Beechtree!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
John - send some of those folks out here - there are some clubs here that could really use members.  They could save Beechtree!

Who, the racists or the Koreans?

Andy Hughes

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
I live in a university town that's probably going to vote 3:1 for Obama, so its pretty liberal and probably less racist than most places...

(No interest in diverting the thread, but I found the notion that those voting for Obama are less racist than others interesting.)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
I live in a university town that's probably going to vote 3:1 for Obama, so its pretty liberal and probably less racist than most places...

(No interest in diverting the thread, but I found the notion that those voting for Obama are less racist than others interesting.)

Just another myth that liberals aka democrats are less racist than republicans....

I wouldn't expect any different from them!!!

Paul Payne

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
I have been reading this thread and it is hilarious but it seems ot have turned into a race thing.

The reality is, a Douche Bag is a Douche Bag. Doucheness is color blind.

We shouldn't confuse other forms of herky-jerky play with Doucheism, they are not the same thing.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
I'm just extremely envious that Jack got to play with Buck Henry.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/79/79tdouchebag.phtml

TH

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
Dave, Norm didn't debunk myths. He illuminated a reality.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

corey miller

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »

Thanks for the lesson Adam. ??? 

Wasn't it you who used the term "guinea" on this message board? And no apology even after it was pointed out the derivation?  I guess you must vote Republican ;D

Matt Varney

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »
Jack,

I have been reading this thread and the thing I find truly amazing was how you kept cool.  I am a big guy (6'4" 250 lbs) and if someone had told me they were a 3 and started verbally beating up a playing partner we would have had a big problem.

This dick head would have had his hands full with me telling me about penalty shots and rules about a drop with the cart path.  When he was on the verge of shooting 51 I would be all over his ass trying to bet him to see if he could break 50 being a 3 handicap.  Guys like that are exactl what can make the great game of golf look bad when someone learning to play the game has to play with a true asshole.  

If I had been in your group I would been all over this guy when he decided to walk off after 9 holes.  Its not like you had bad weather or he had a personal emergency and I would have made him feel like shit and called him a pussy for walking off and not playiing the full round with his playing partners.   I just hope that as time goes on guys like this that you got paired up with quit playing the game and do something else as a hobby for fun.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
Corey, Your memory might be better as your alter ego. I have never used the term guinea other than in reference to a pig. Your sensitive PC self was way out of line citing my colloquialism as racist. It highlighted perfectly the ridiculousness of it all.

I just got paired with one.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

corey miller

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »

Adam

My recollection was that you were describing some sort of white tank top t shirt not a little animal.  

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »
"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Lord and Lady Douchebag"

SNL - Circa 1975

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back