News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: My Metro Area Top 50 ...
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
I have my own theory...what do you think?

ChipOat

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
Matt:

Have you played Easthampton?  If yes, why do you not like it enough to include?

It sounds like you've played Liberty - no like?

You compared Inwood to Seawane but not to any others in the "bottom" 20 or so.  What is it about Inwood that keeps it off your list?  Have you played it since they re-did the bunkers and took out the trees?  I think Tom Doak did that work although perhaps not.

You didn't mention St. George's in your reply to Tom Macwood re: Inwood.  Have you played St. George's?  If yes, same question as Easthampton above.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »
Jim,

I don't think ANY ofthe front sections were greens! I think Banks and Raynor and Macdonald wanted you to hit it through an approach that was bunkered on both sides.

But I favor "restoring" these front sections to putting surfaces beacuse a putting green is the closest thing we can get to the old hard and fast fairways of old, so golfers really can run it betweenthe traps. (Shorter hitters who need to run their ball on...nothing we can do about the big hitters flying irons to the green...)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »
Jim,

I don't think ANY ofthe front sections were greens! I think Banks and Raynor and Macdonald wanted you to hit it through an approach that was bunkered on both sides.

But I favor "restoring" these front sections to putting surfaces beacuse a putting green is the closest thing we can get to the old hard and fast fairways of old, so golfers really can run it betweenthe traps. (Shorter hitters who need to run their ball on...nothing we can do about the big hitters flying irons to the green...)

I'm real curious when the swales started becoming part of the green, why that happened, who first did it, and why so many then followed. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »
My guess is that Yale did it first, but George Bahto would probably have a better idea.

Once courses began installing irrigation systems, the front sections would naturally become much softer, so it would have become far more difficult to make the ball run through the swale.

Couple that with improved equipment and higher flying balls, and the holes really dont play as intended. So if you add length to the back tees and putting surfaces to the front, I think you can really replicate the designers' intent, IMO.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2008, 02:25:23 PM »
Be curious to know how many of the total 50 courses I listed have various people played ?

Would have to say that Westchester seems to possess the deepest array of quality golf in the metro NYC area.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »
Bill Brightly,

I agree with you on having the entire foot pad as putting surface.

Especially with the aerial nature of today's game.

Westhampton place a horseshoe like bunker in the front of the green, which presents a great tactical feature when the hole is cut in the forward portion of the front tier.

The Creek's version does the same except that water is substituted for sand.

The fronting hazard forces a minimum carry, which I like.

Tee variety can compensate for reduced golfing abilities.

A "full" Biarritz is a unique hole.

I hope to visit one day ..... soon.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Chip:

Allow me to address the suggestions you've made.

Liberty National is a very difficult course but I question where the compelling architecture is? No doubt when played from the tips at 7,400 yards to a par of 70 and with wind blowing through the site can make for a trying time. I might include it with a second visit but for now the answer is no.

Yes, I've played Easthampton but frankly it's not anything more than what better C&C courses have offered. I salute the routing given the tight quarters but the older courses that I selected have made tremendous improvements on what they previously offered.

Inwood is a close call and likely a case can be made for a few courses of that type to take a spot from one of the others rated between 40-50. There are no perfect lists or perfect answers.

Yes, Doak did some work a number of years ago and Inwood does have its moments. There's a reason the club hosted the PGA and US Open from years ago no doubt. My question to you is have you played Seawane since the work was completed there? I salute the club because so much of its qualities have been brought back to the forefront.

I've also played St. George's and it too is one of those close call courses. But, as I have said to others on this thread -- how bout people post their ENTIRE list instead of cherry picking one or more courses? That way I and others can better understand the nature of the full listing.

Chip, I said this before -- but having a listing of courses that are no more than 6,600 yards from the tips would likely be even more interesting because it would place courses that won't hold big time events in a real comparison / contrast situation with other like-minded layouts.

ChipOat

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »
Matt:

I wasn't making suggestions, just asking questions.  However, I can see why you might infer that a "question" on GCA (or any discussion group of passionate people) would be a thinly veiled "suggestion" (or maybe not so thinly veiled).

Although, by definition, I wasn't cherry picking with suggestions, I would only be tempted to do so if I had played the majority of the courses on your list plus 5-10 legitimate contenders.  I'm guessing I've only played  5 of them more than once over the years so I couldn't begin to even do justice to a "Top 10" list.

My apologies for inferring that I preferred the courses I mentioned over any of those you selected.  Since you have played all of them, you were most definitely able to completely answer my inquiries - for which I thank you.

Look for the thread on the < 6500 yarders real soon.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2008, 10:53:12 PM »
Be curious to know how many of the total 50 courses I listed have various people played ?

Would have to say that Westchester seems to possess the deepest array of quality golf in the metro NYC area.

Matt:
I've only been lucky enough to play four of your top 50:  Bethpage Black, WF West, WF East, and Yale.  I've always been amazed at how many great courses the NYC Metro area has (especially when compared to DC, where I live).

Matt_Ward

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2008, 10:21:33 AM »
Chip:

No doubt, personal preferences are always a part of any golf menu for any player and for those you individually prefer so be it.

One of the more interesting aspects in living in the greater metro NYC area is how few people really see the different sub-areas that are part of the overall region. You do have Island people staying for the most part on the Island and many Jersey people do likewise. Ditto the types that play in Westchester / Fairfield.

The evolving nature of golf in the metro NYC area is clearly a by-product of the different clubs taking stock of what they have and going lengths to improve upon what they have long had.

So many people too often will apply a "tag" to a certain course -- whether it be on the "great" or "not great" listing and forever see that "tag" being a  permanent feature. Unfortunately, closed eyes often lead to closed minds.

I've been fortunate have played a good smattering of the different courses and if those who have seen my list believe it is hubris on my part I do offer my apologies. It was meant to salute those clubs that have taken the time and considerable effort / $$ to continue to improve upon the compelling architecture that makes such visits so rewarding.

The most important point is that no course can expect to always be rated because of past performance. 

Julian Wise

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »

I have actually played the majority of the 50 courses you have listed and while I generally agree with both the courses that made the list and the breakdown of the lists, I have a few observations and disagreements.  Observation--I am confident that once you play Friar's Head, you will have itin your top 10 (probably top 5).  Disagreement--I don't really get Engineers being on the list at all let alone in the third 10.  Yes, I know it has undergone renovations recently to lengthen the course but it still seems like a "gimmicky" course to me--tricked up so that guests don't come there and shoot a very low round.  I have played most of the other courses in the third ten, fourth ten and fifth ten and really cannot imagine anyone (other than a member of Engineers) who could play those other courses (or numerous other courses (Century) and conclude that Engineers is superior in any way.  I would also switch places between Hudson and Fenway.  For what iit is worth, I would list my top 5 courses in the area (in order) as:

1.  Shinnecock
2.  Bethpage Black
3.  Friar's Head
4.  Garden City GC
5.  Winged Foot West

Matt_Ward

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
Julian:

Thanks for your detailed comments ... I see you have BB as your #2 layout. Be curious to know why you would selected it over Friar's Head -- which I have not played to date yet others rave about it -- and how you see BB ahead of WF/W.

Ditto for understanding how you view Hudson National ahead of Fenway -- that's the first time I've ever heard that comment.

Since my list posted I have played Pound Ridge and now include that ... the updated listing is included for any comments ...

TOP TEN

Bayonne (NJ)
Bethpage / Black (NY)
Fisher's Island (NY)
Garden City GC (NY)
NGLA (NY)
Plainfield (NJ)
Sebonack (NY)
Shinnecock Hills (NY)
Westchester / West (NY)
Winged Foot / West (NY)

SECOND TEN

Essex County CC (NJ)
Fenway (NY)
Forsgate / Banks (NJ)
Hollywood (NJ)
Montclair #2 & #4 (NJ)
Piping Rock (NY)
Quaker Ridge (NY)
Ridgewood (E&W), NJ
Trump National / Bedminster (NJ)
Winged Foot / East (NY)

THIRD TEN

Atlantic
Baltusrol / Lower (NJ)
The Creek Club
Engineers (NY)
Maidstone (NY)
Metropolis (NY)
Pound Ridge (NY)
Sleepy Hollow (NY)
Wykagyl (NY)
Yale (CT)

FOURTH TEN

Baltusrol / Upper (NJ)
Deepdale (NY)
CC of Fairfield (CT)
Hudson National (NY)
Mountain Ridge (NJ)
Old Oaks (NY)
Somerset Hills (NJ)
The Stanwich Club (CT)
Wee Burn (CT)
Whippoorwill (NY)

FIFTH TEN

Alpine (NJ)
The Bridge (NY)
Century (NY)
Hamilton Farm (NJ)
Hudson National (NY)
Manasquan River (NJ)
Meadowbrook (NY)
Metedeconk National / 1st & 3rd Nines (NJ)
Morris County (NJ)
Seawane (NY)

p.s. Tuxedo is now out -- replaced by Century

flipped Ridgewood with Sleepy Holloy

cc of fairfield also drops one grouping - replaced by pound ridge

Bill Brightly

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
Hudson National is good, but not good enough to be listed twice...

But save that spot...

Julian Wise

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
Funny you ask about my order of Friar's Head and Bethpage because I went back and forth on which course should be ranked higher.  I think Bethpage is still marginally ahead as a pure golf course.  Keep in mind that my assessment of Bethpage is based assuming a very early round there (any time after 7:30am is a very long round and nobody rakes the bunkers so after several rounds during a day, you will have lies from footprints).  Also, you need to bring your own caddie at Bethpage.  In addition, right now and for the past year or so while they are building their clubhouse, the opening hole at Friar's Head is the 3rd hole (which although a great hole is not a great opening hole) which takes away from the natural progression of the course that was intended.  Both are terrific and I would have no issue with somebody swictching my order.  As to Winged Foot West--although I recognize its greatness, I just think it is weaker than Bethpage--when I play the two courses, it is clear that they had the same designer (which cannot be said of all Tillinghast courses) because of such similar characteristics, but other than the fact that Winged Foot is private and therefore more enjoyable for obvious reasons, Bethpage to me, is the superior course--each hole at Bethpage is memorable while Winged Foot has several that are not.  I also love driving out of some of the chutes at Bethpage. 

Hudson v Fenway.  In terms of conditioning, Hudson is far superior.  The sand at Hudson seems like it is replaced on a daily basis.  The fairways are always tight (sometimes a bit too soft) and the greens are terrific--always true, consistent and fast.  Fenway has areas in the rough that are patchy with dirt spots.  Also, I think Hudson only has one bad hole (17) while Fenway has a few.  I also think Hudson is a much better second shot course (i.e., assuming a good drive down the middle on the par 4s, the second shots are always better shots).  Quite franky, I think the second shots are what makes Pine Valley the finest course in the U.S.

I see you added Pund Ridge--I am scheduled to play it in a few weeks--heard great things.

BTW, have you played Garden City GC recently--it is in spectacular shape and is close to perfect in every way--even though I put it fourth on my list in terms of the quality of the golf course, I would put it first in terms on enjoyability and the course I would most like to play every day.

corey miller

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »

Julian

I am not sure I come anywhere close to agreeing with you in regard to Hudson National and Fenway.  In fact, I would offer that Hudson has no real superior holes and a few outright bad ones 5,8,17 while Fenway has no bad holes (17?) and a few superior ones 2,3,15.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
Bill:

Thanks for noticing the second printing of HN.

The updated listing includes the following ...

TOP TEN

Bayonne (NJ)
Bethpage / Black (NY)
Fisher's Island (NY)
Garden City GC (NY)
NGLA (NY)
Plainfield (NJ)
Sebonack (NY)
Shinnecock Hills (NY)
Westchester / West (NY)
Winged Foot / West (NY)

SECOND TEN

Essex County CC (NJ)
Fenway (NY)
Forsgate / Banks (NJ)
Hollywood (NJ)
Montclair #2 & #4 (NJ)
Piping Rock (NY)
Quaker Ridge (NY)
Ridgewood (E&W), NJ
Trump National / Bedminster (NJ)
Winged Foot / East (NY)

THIRD TEN

Atlantic
Baltusrol / Lower (NJ)
The Creek Club
Engineers (NY)
Maidstone (NY)
Metropolis (NY)
Pound Ridge (NY)
Sleepy Hollow (NY)
Wykagyl (NY)
Yale (CT)

FOURTH TEN

Baltusrol / Upper (NJ)
Deepdale (NY)
CC of Fairfield (CT)
Meadowbrook (NY)
Mountain Ridge (NJ)
Old Oaks (NY)
Somerset Hills (NJ)
The Stanwich Club (CT)
Wee Burn (CT)
Whippoorwill (NY)

FIFTH TEN

Alpine (NJ)
The Bridge (NY)
Century (NY)
Hamilton Farm (NJ)
Hudson National (NY)
Manasquan River (NJ)
Metedeconk National / 1st & 3rd Nines (NJ)
Morris County (NJ)
Seawane (NY)
Tuxedo Club (NY)

Julian W:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Let me go over a few point you made. You harp on the conditioning dimension for Fenway v HN. How bout you begin from the design perspective? You also state vaguely that Fenway "has a few" bad holes. Care to elaborate / explain?

Julian, I think you missed the point on how Fenway changes pace so well -- how the routing takes you throughout the property and how the greens are well contoured and protected.

You also state that BB is superior to WF/W. How do you possibly account for the better defended greens at WF/W compared to the benign ones you face for the most part at BB. Any approach at WF/W is well protected and missing to either sides guarantees a real struggle. You state that BB has all memorable holes - Julian, please explain for me how "memorable the 18th hole" is for a closing hole of such a highly rated course like BB? Also, isn't it fair to say that BB has overdosed on the muscle dimension when playing -- where is the finesse play?

You also state WF/W has "several that are not" (memorable holes). Can you elaborate the specific holes and your reasoning. One last question -- how many times have you played each?

Thanks ...

Julian Wise

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
I have played each of Winged Foot West and Bethpage Black several times in the past year, each time from the tips.  I am fairly long off the tee and my playing partners each time are very long hitters.  My main issue with Winged Foot West is the lengthening of the course.  I do not think it was the intent of Tillinghast to hit long irons and utility woods with your second shots into those greens.  It seems as if the course is now designed just for the pros in the US Open.  The greens are very undulated and a precision shot is necessary--even with a great drive (265 plus), the second shot into many of the par 4s requires a long iron or a utility wood.  Bethpage, also, a "bomber's" course requires the same, but the greens are more receptive to a long iron.  In addition, the par 3 3rd hole at Winged Foot West, which I think used to be a great hole, is not 240 plus yards (with no run-up area) to a green which requires a very high shot (certainly not a long iron or utility wood).  I probably misstated that there are a few holes that are not memorable--the problem is the second shots on the par 4s get jumbled because (assuming you are trying to get on in 2) you are always using long irons to get to the greens. 

As to Hudson v Fenway, I have only played Fenway once so I am going to play it again before I critique it any further.  I have played Hudson many times.

Thanks.

ChipOat

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »
Matt:

Your inclusion of The Bridge caught my eye.  It never seems to get much positive press as a golf course (and not just because it's Big 3 neighbors + Atlantic, FH and Sebonack get all the attention).  Even Bayonne and Liberty Natl seem to have more fans.  It just seems like nobody thinks much of it except you until now.  There are other boosters out there, for sure.

This is not a suggestion, just a question.  Why The Bridge over Easthampton (an easy comparison) or perhaps the better question is, why The Bridge over the 10+ close calls already mentioned in this thread?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
Julian:

Appreciate your comments but you forget the marching orders Tillie received when designing the courses there at WF -- "build us a man-sized course." Over the course of time because of advancing ball and club technology advancements the nature of a number of holes at both layouts at WF were altered. Adding length in certain key spots was needed to bring back into focus what was originally sought. I am not a proponent of added length at all the holes -- most notably the silly extreme length at #12 on the West. I do agree with your example on the 3rd at the West -- no need for 240 yards. It wasn't exactly being killed for birdies when the hole played "only" 218 yards.

When you say the West is now only designed for the pros in a US Open -- how do you square the desire for the massive yardage increases at Bethpage Black?

Let me also point out that dexterity off the tee is the more tested dimension at WF/W. Not only is distance required at both courses -- but you need to work the ball better at the Mamaroneck layout than the one in Farmingdale. WF/W has a number of turning points off the tee -- the 1st, 4th, 8th, 14th, 16th, 17th and 18th, are all quick examples of each. BB is more straightforward in just hitting it long. On the green side of the argument, WF/W is easily the more demanding because of the way the bunkers are squeezed tighter to the landing areas and the pitch of the greens canbe rather demanding for any mis hit into them.

The lone aspect that BB does have over WF is the scale of the property and the unique rolling Manetto hills you encounter when playing there. If anything WF is proof positive that you don't need a home run site to have a home run course.

Chip:

Many thanks for your always insightful questions.

For me, The Bridge possesses one of the most unique sits in all of the metro NYC area. I was enthralled on my first visit from simply hitting practice balls on the gorgeous range which overlooks The Great Peconic and all the spectacular scenery.

I was also impressed with the rolling nature of the actual golf course itself. I can only say that the inclusion of power carts since its opening days is a must because the severity of the property -- especially on heat / humid days we are encountering now -- makes a walk there quite exhausting -- even Bethpage Black is an easier walk and that says something to me.

Easthampton doesn't have the site that The Bridge occupies. It is crammed into a small piece of property and I salute what C&C did in order to fashion an 18-hole routing that works well inso many spots. The issue for me is whether C&C have advanced their efforts through the product at Easthampton. Frankly, it doesn't for me. That's not to say the layout is not good -- it is but it's not cutting new ground in terms of what they have done previously. In comparison, Rees Jones did add a good bit to his resume, at least for me, with his work at The Bridge. No doubt the proponents of C&C will always prefer the "look" they provide to their courses. On the flip side those who are avowed fans of C&C will likely detest much, if not all, of what comes from Rees Jones. I take a more pragmatic and elastic viewpoint on that point.

Chip, the "close calls" you mention are really towards the back end of my listing. I agree with the take Tom Doak provides that you often have a greater range of courses that fall in the 5-6 range but when you move up to 7 the list narrows and clearly when you get to 8 it becomes even narrower.

I've played The Bridge a few times and Easthampton twice. Many of the detractors of The Bridge have likely only played it one time. Clearly, the course is not at the highest of levels with its lofty neighbors. But, it's far from being some wasted effort that I have seen a few people opine about.

The Bridge would have fared better if Rees did less of his scripted look and formula. Sort of borrowing what he did with the sensational Olde Kinderhook -- which if located in the NYC metro area would be a bonafide contender for top ten status among the top courses I have played.

In sum, The Bridge gets plenty of help from an outstanding site with an above average design. It could have been better and I still see enough there for it to grab a top 50 spot among the layouts I have played. No doubt, it's just my opinion.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
Chip,

Matt is not alone. The Bridge also made it to #90 in the US on the Ran Morrisett and Tom Doak paneled Golf Magazine list in 2005.

In addition, after a slow start, it has been an overwhelming financial success, which some of its modern neighbors cannot say.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
Matt,

21, with only 3 of your bottom 20, but playing one of your top 10 next Friday so I'm excited about that.   

I think it's great you put your list and opinions out there and are willing to debate them, even when we disagree sometimes.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
Mike:

Good to hear that.

Be curious to the one you are playing and what your take is on it. I'm guessing it might be Bayonne!

If it is the main thing to keep in mind is the massive vision one had to have in order to pull the project together in so many ways. Many people lob compliments to Shadow Creek but building on flat land in the middle of Vegas is not the same as building from absolutely a dreadful site from which Bayonne was created. Eric Bergstol did a superb job.

Mike, the real unique dimension of NYC metro area golf is, as you already know, the sheer depth of quality private clubs that are a step or two below the very elite ones.

Anyone visiting the area would help themselves immeasurable by including them on any play list if access can be secured.

Mike S:

Be curious if you have played The Bridge and your comments about the course ?

Thanks ...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
Mike S:

Be curious if you have played The Bridge and your comments about the course ?

Thanks ...

I played it the first season. They have done a bunch of work since then and I would like to see it again. It was not a Top 100 club to me but would be a Metro 50 for me.

I have played about 35 on your list, and there are a bunch of public and privates that I would put ahead of Metropolis. The rest of the list would really just be minor tweaking up or down one level. Friars Head would be Top 10 for me.

Julian Wise

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »
Mike S.  I am curious about your thoughts on Metropolis.  How many times have you played it and when was the last time?  What courses would you put ahead of it and why?  Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back