News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: Ballyhack vs Dismal River
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »
No one should post on this thread that hasn't played both courses.

Ballyhack #4 can play a million different ways.  Chris is right that shots played to the left can find the left rough, but it's because the wrong line is taken from the tee.  The strategic play is to lay back on the first shot so the left rough is taken out of play.  This leaves a lengthy approach (~200 yards), but it's played downhill and to a firm green complex that accepts - and rewards - a shot played just short and right of the green.  Contours are such that a longer club can nestle close to the hole, and the longer approach is generally played from a flat lie (unlike the more aggressive shots that are intended to find the bottom of the fairway chute).

Also, I haven't played Dismal River.

WW

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »

Ballyhack #4 can play a million different ways.  Chris is right that shots played to the left can find the left rough, but it's because the wrong line is taken from the tee.  The strategic play is to lay back on the first shot so the left rough is taken out of play.  This leaves a lengthy approach (~200 yards), but it's played downhill and to a firm green complex that accepts - and rewards - a shot played just short and right of the green.  Contours are such that a longer club can nestle close to the hole, and the longer approach is generally played from a flat lie (unlike the more aggressive shots that are intended to find the bottom of the fairway chute).

WW

Wow, I would never dream of laying  back on four.  Interesting strategy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »

WW

Wow, I would never dream of laying  back on four.  Interesting strategy.

Tommy,

Wade hits a 7 or less from the top fairway   :)  while I'm whacking a hybrid. For him that might be good strategy but I want to approach that green from around 150 or less if I can which means one of the lower tiers. It seems a little like threading a needle but if you can pull it off it's fun.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
I have played both. Dixie Cup last year, 5th Major this year.
BH 4. I hit driver, left rough, hacked it out and it went too far down thru the fairway, hacked that out and either made 5 or 6.
DR 4. Between our matches I played it 3 times or so. I had 7 iron in once on my second shot and still made only par.  Don't think I ever made birdie. My point is I think it's a devilish par 5 or 4.5 full of strategy. Whereas, BH 4 is a brute. I thought BH was THE most difficult driving course I have ever played as it was narrow effectively off the tee due to the mucho thick second cut. Or atleast there was a severe penalty for missing the fairway on any hole. I played 72 holes at Ballyneal and DR with the same ball. Can't do that at BH.
But, I like both courses.
I say 4 is no blood. Next.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:32:37 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
I forgot.  I practiced making a movie with pictures from Dismal River on my Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSr5BM7dpWY&feature=plcp

The resolution is better in the small mode.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:06:50 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mac Plumart

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
Wade,

I'm confused.  You say no one should post on this thread that hasn't played both courses.  Then you post.  Then you say you haven't played both courses.   ??? :) ???

Regardless, the photos of Ballyhack look pretty cool to me.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »

I am not sure you can compare these two courses as there are not enough people who have played both.

I am headed to Ballyhack this weekend and then I can compare it to Ballyneal, which i played in July

So look for a Ballyhack vs Ballyneal comparison soon. I am also hoping to see some fall colors.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:10 PM »
Mac:

My tongue was in my cheek.

WW

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
Tommy:

There are a couple of holes at Ballyhack where the preferred tee shot is to NOT hit the ball as far as possible.  The approach from the top of the hill on four is much longer but it's downhill to the green and the entire complex is designed to accept it.

Five is another hole where a conservative play is rewarded, this time with a more level lie (and a less uphill approach).

Six, eight, and nine can present the same paradox.

WW

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Mac:

My tongue was in my cheek.

WW

I was being a goof on my comment...that is why I put in the smiley face.  I was a bit worried that it might be taken the wrong way...sorry if that happened.

I am interested to hear about how these two courses compare.  I've only played one of them and love it.  It would appear I need to get up to Ballyhack and check it out.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
Mac:

You have an open invitation.  Send me a message when you can visit.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back