News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

How far west did Willie Park jr...
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
go in the USA ?    Park  did many fine eastern courses such as Maidstone,  Woodway and Glen ridge.  Other than  Olympia Fields little is mentioned about his work in Michigan, Illinois or Ohio

Are there some hidden gems by Willie Park Jr.  in western Pa, Ohio, or Michigan.  Are Sylvania, East liverpool or Battle Creek worthy of study  ?

thanks
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:01:31 PM by mark chalfant »

Kyle Harris

Re: How far west did Willie Park jr...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »
Western PA, specifically Pittsburgh, has Youghiheny CC (sp?) where Ryan Farrow cut his teeth walk mowing greens. He also did PSU's White Course, with 9 holes NLE.

JNagle

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:47:02 PM »
Within the US, Park remnants can be seen at The Congress Lake Club.  A number of his green remain along with the majority of the front nine routing.  His course is melded in with Ross.  The combination of the two works nicely.  You can pick up on a little more "ruggedness" in the Park green surrounds vs. Ross'. 

Park did travel to Western Canada for his work at Calgary Golf & Country Club.  Another fine Park course.  The greens are not as undulating as we have seen on some of his earlier US work. 
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

bill_k

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »
I believe Battle Creek CC in Battle Creek, MI is Willie Park Jr. A few interesting holes-definitely not in the class of Olympia Fields, Maidstone, or even Woodway. Worth a look if you happen to be passing through. The 18th green is what I have heard described somewhere as a "Table" green-with a large shelf at the extreme rear of the built-up green with a severe back to front slope...it's a real ball buster if you do not leave your approach on the top shelf with the pin.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Mark:

I have heard -- but not played -- good things from friends about Sylvania. Shortish and kind of funky, laid out on a narrow north/south piece of land, with a creek used in some interesting ways. Like many Midwestern classic-era courses, probably over-treed. Much in the shadow of nearby Inverness, of course, but perhaps worth it if in the area.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
I believe Calgary or Winnipeg would be the farthest west.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:20:52 PM by Tom MacWood »

Billsteele

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
Park evidently did a good deal of work in Ohio. My research indicates that the following Buckeye state courses are still credited to him: Ashland, East Liverpool, Marion, Toledo and Sylvania. I have played none of them.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
I've heard good things about Battle Creek but I've never seen it  :(

I did play his Weston G & CC in Toronto years ago, and thought it was a very good course.

Gerry B

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
calgary gc  is the farthest west - located 650 miles east of the west coast - it was a bendelow design originally and park came in later to do a re-do. the course just did a renovation to restore some of his lustre. a really fun course located in the middle of town - ie 10 minutes from downtown

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies about Willie  Park  Jr.  I did not realize he worked around  Pittsburgh and  Calgary.

Gerry B

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »
Mark:

Willie Park did a fair bit of work in Canada   - some really good courses overall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back